Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: VoLTE with iPhone SE not working on TFW/Verizon

Feedback Score
    We should thank mframe and lisme for the encouraging posts. I called Page Plus Wednesday night and the rep said it was perfectly normal for a new TFW SIM to not display the VoLTE-related cellular options until the phone (SIM) is activated through Customer Service. Your phone and mine are the same model iPhone SE running the same iOS (13.3) and both TF and PP work off Verizon the same way. So our phones should be equally compatible (unless there is something special about your phone's condition). Since I was informed that my phone will be OK to use when I am ready to activate it, yours should be too, once they re-activate it for the new SIM inside.

There remains the question of why you are not getting an OK from the Page Plus's online IMEI checker like I did. One possible explanation I can think of for our differing test results: There may remain enough separation between Page Plus and its new parent Tracphone that each one still sees the other one's phones as currently in use by the other and therefore not available. Or maybe it's just because your current phone remains in databases (listed by IMEI) as a device that's not ready (yet) to be used on VoLTE. Yours has already been in use on their network with its configuration known to be tied to the old technology, whereas mine is a still-unactivated replacement phone, presumed by their system to have as clean a slate as when it was manufactured (therefore a default "OK' status). It's like a Catch-22. You just need both a new SIM card AND a change made at their end before they see the "incompatibility" status go away.

Hpham's idea of testing by SIM-swapping (with someone who has a phone that has VoLTE working on TF/Verizon) is a good one. I note that you said: "I had a TFW SIM for Verizon originally activated in my 5S. When I got an SE, I activated it there. Now I can swap that SIM back and forth". Consider the fact that one or both of those SIMs was provisioned for the 5s, which we know is NOT VoLTE compatible. That identity may be still stuck with the SIM no matter where you use it. Consider also the effect of having used it with AT&T on GSM, which was not VoLTE service (at least not in the past).

So iI would gues that your old SIM was the only problem. Although it has worked for your service up to now (on 3G) it is not matched to the phone's needs going forward (VoLTE). As a result, it apparently can cause misleading options to be displayed while in this limbo state of being a 3G SIM forced into a 4G/VoLTE world. On that point, when you wrote earlier: "I tried two other iPhone SE's with Tracfone over Verizon. Each had a "Voice & Data" option in Cellular Data settings. Each would not turn on voice, only data"... did you mean that the Voice & Data option was greyed out, or that you were unable to tap it to the ON state for some other reason? Anyway, you mentioned that with the new SIM inserted, "when I look at cellular data options, all it shows is "activate LTE", which is turned on." (I think you meant "Enable LTE"). The fact that having a new SIM now enables the same limited LTE setting as mine, is actually a good sign.

With a SIM that's new enough, (and the one you just received certainly is), insist that Tracphone actually re-activate your service. Have both the IMEI and new SIM ICCID numbers handy. Remind them what PP's rep said. During this very new kind of transiton, I think most techs at these companies can't know what interim effect may appear for every model phone out there, especially the earliest VoLTE model iPhones like the SE. But you really have nothing to lose, Any failure on their part to make it work should obligate them to just revert you to where you are now. Ask them for that assurance beforehand, if you want. In about a week or two, I will be activating my own iPhone SE with Page Plus and will update the forum as to the outcome.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kevi View Post
    There remains the question of why you are not getting an OK from the Page Plus's online IMEI checker like I did. One possible explanation I can think of for our differing test results: There may remain enough separation between Page Plus and its new parent Tracphone that each one still sees the other one's phones as currently in use by the other and therefore not available. Or maybe it's just because your current phone remains in databases (listed by IMEI) as a device that's not ready (yet) to be used on VoLTE.
    . . .
    So iI would gues that your old SIM was the only problem. Although it has worked for your service up to now (on 3G) it is not matched to the phone's needs going forward (VoLTE). As a result, it apparently can cause misleading options to be displayed while in this limbo state of being a 3G SIM forced into a 4G/VoLTE world. On that point, when you wrote earlier: "I tried two other iPhone SE's with Tracfone over Verizon. Each had a "Voice & Data" option in Cellular Data settings. Each would not turn on voice, only data"... did you mean that the Voice & Data option was greyed out, or that you were unable to tap it to the ON state for some other reason? Anyway, you mentioned that with the new SIM inserted, "when I look at cellular data options, all it shows is "activate LTE", which is turned on." (I think you meant "Enable LTE"). The fact that having a new SIM now enables the same limited LTE setting as mine, is actually a good sign.
    Thank you, Kevi. All good points. I only quoted a couple of them to respond to.

I am not sure how these IMEI databases work. It seems like there must be some master list that all carriers have to use, though it could be updated at different intervals. I went to the Verizon site and said I had an existing phone that I would consider transferring to Verizon. I entered my IMEI and the site said it was compatible and could use my phone on Verizon. Verizon is only activating VoLTE phones.

On my SE phones, voice & data are not grayed out. I can click on it. I either get a little rotating circle that keeps going until I reboot, or a message to contact Tracfone. Look at post #25 here for a screen shot. The higher up people at TFW whom I spoke to thought this was significant, i.e., that the option was not grayed out.

On my main phone, it seems I am always running LTE. I would have to manually switch to 3G on the same screen I just referenced. It was only using that new, unactivated SIM card that I got the "Enable LTE" option.

Right now, I will await hearing about your results as well as getting a call back from the the "Miami engineers". Not sure when/if I will try Hpham's idea of testing by SIM-swapping. I do have a reconditioned LG phone I just got from TFW for $15. It says HD Voice is activated, which I believe means that it is using VoLTE. I'm not sure how else to check this, as I have little familiarity with Android phones. There may be an app I could download to test VoLTE.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RandySea View Post
    I do have a reconditioned LG phone I just got from TFW for $15. It says HD Voice is activated, which I believe means that it is using VoLTE. I'm not sure how else to check this, as I have little familiarity with Android phones.
    Is that phone activated on TF yet? If yes, you can do the test that you did before (turn off WiFi, turn on Data, try to access an online site while the call is in progress; if it works, the call is using VoLTE). If you like, you can send me a Private Message (click on my forum name, send a Private Message) with your phone number and what time works for you. I'll call you from my Moto E5 with VoLTE on TF/Verizon. I can see on my phone whether or not the call is HD/VoLTE. You probably will see an HD indicator on your phone as well.

Feedback Score
    Thank you, Kevi. All good points. I only quoted a couple of them to respond to. I am not sure how these IMEI databases work. It seems like there must be some master list that all carriers have to use, though it could be updated at different intervals. I went to the Verizon site and said I had an existing phone that I would consider transferring to Verizon. I entered my IMEI and the site said it was compatible and could use my phone on Verizon. Verizon is only activating VoLTE phones. On my SE phones, voice & data are not grayed out. I can click on it. I either get a little rotating circle that keeps going until I reboot, or a message to contact Tracfone. Look at post #25 here for a screen shot. The higher up people at TFW whom I spoke to thought this was significant, i.e., that the option was not grayed out. On my main phone, it seems I am always running LTE. I would have to manually switch to 3G on the same screen I just referenced. It was only using that new, unactivated SIM card that I got the "Enable LTE" option. Right now, I will await hearing about your results as well as getting a call back from the the "Miami engineers". Not sure when/if I will try Hpham's idea of testing by SIM-swapping. I do have a reconditioned LG phone I just got from TFW for $15. It says HD Voice is activated, which I believe means that it is using VoLTE. I'm not sure how else to check this, as I have little familiarity with Android phones. There may be an app I could download to test VoLTE.
    look on the back of your iPhone SE near the bottom and tell us what model you have - https://www.whistleout.com/CellPhone...nother-carrier

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    look on the back of your iPhone SE near the bottom and tell us what model you have - https://www.whistleout.com/CellPhone...nother-carrier
    A1662
    You can see the model # in settings, general, about.

Feedback Score
    Depending on the phone manufacturer and model, VoLTE may instead be denoted as" HD Voice" or "Enhanced LTE". They all are supposed to mean the same thing, so that LG should be good. (I don't think TFW would have sold it to you at this time if it were not.) If it has a SIM card, that could be used to do a swap test with your iPhone SE. I don't know how conclusive that test would be if did NOT enable VoLTE in your iPhone, since phone operating systems and SIMs are complicated. But a positive result would indeed be conclusive that your phone merely needs an up-to-date TFW SIM (and a call to Customer Service TFW to activate it). If any activation obstacle still persists at that point, it would have to be related to the IMEI having some mistaken carrier lock, or TFW's system perhaps misinterpreting what you are asking to do (and with exactly which phone & SIM).

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    Is that phone activated on TF yet? If yes, you can do the test that you did before (turn off WiFi, turn on Data, try to access an online site while the call is in progress; if it works, the call is using VoLTE). If you like, you can send me a Private Message (click on my forum name, send a Private Message) with your phone number and what time works for you. I'll call you from my Moto E5 with VoLTE on TF/Verizon. I can see on my phone whether or not the call is HD/VoLTE. You probably will see an HD indicator on your phone as well.
    Thank you for your gracious offer of help. I just activated the reconditioned LG phone. While I had a phone connection active, I was able to do a Google search. So, VoLTE is working on that phone.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TacoDan View Post
    Here's what I did after multiple chat sessions with TF and trying replacement sims for my 6 and 7 iphones.

Bought 2 cheap ($20+) TF CDMA VoLte burner phones with nano sims had my service transferred to them then pulled the active sims out and installed them into my iphones throw the burners in a draw somewhere.
    The above quote goes back a ways in this thread. Just today I actually did what TacoDan suggested. I activated that reconditioned LG phone I just got from TFW. It has its own phone number. Then I verified that VoLTE was working on it. I did this by making a call and at the same time using the internet (with wifi turned off).

Just now, I pulled the SIM card from the LG and put it into my iPhone SE. On the SE, I can turn click on "LTE, VoLTE On" and it is checked. But . . . I tried making a phone call and, while connected, was not able to use the Internet.

I would have assumed that if my SE was able to make calls using the other SIM card, and it said it had VoLTE turned on, I was in business. Apparently not.

So, now I am back to either activating my brand new SIM card on the SE tomorrow, or waiting until "Miami Engineers" call me with their ideas about the problem.

Feedback Score
    Verizon's FAQ about "HD Voice" on iPhones includes these Q&A's: (I added upper case in three places for emphasis)

Q: "I added the HD Voice feature to my account. How do I know HD Voice is ready for use on my iPhone?"

A: Tap Enable LTE. If Voice & Data has a check next to it, HD Voice is enabled and ready for use....For all iPhone 6 and newer devices delivered after March, 2016, the default device setting for Enable LTE was Voice & Data. On iPhone 6 or newer devices, it can take a few minutes for the system to update your account with the HD Voice feature. When HD Voice is successfully added, the Enable LTE setting will be set to Voice & Data."

(I think the status bar during an actual HD-Voice call should also show a different indicator than you have seen before.)

Q: "Why can't I make an HD Voice call?"

A: If you're not able to make or receive an HD Voice call, it may be due to one of the following reasons:
    HD Voice isn't activated on the line that you're calling
    VoLTE is set to Off on your phone OR ON THE PHONE YOU ARE CALLING.
    Either you OR THE PERSON YOU ARE CALLING isn't using an HD Voice-capable phone at the time of the call
    Either your phone OR THE PHONE YOU ARE CALLING isn't connected to the Verizon 4G LTE network at the time of the call.

I do know that HD Voice quality can only be in effect if the phones at BOTH ends of the call are properly equipped with the feature (and it is not disabled at the time). So I wonder if your call went out to someone whose phone is not similarly capable. If so, then maybe the OTHER nice things that come with HD-Voice/VoLTE, including simultaneous Internet browsing while on a call, may also not be possible at that time.

If that theory is wrong, then maybe your browser was simply not working for some other unrelated reason. Have you checked lately that you can browse normally when not on a call, with either of the two SIM cards? Also see if it helps to have Cellular Data ON, and even "Wifi Assist" enabled. (By the way, did the call actually drop due to the attempt to browse?)

The only other possibilities I can think of:
    1. The two phones you swapped SIMs between may be too dissimilar to get the same results from the same SIM
    2. You still may need your service account to be explicitly set for VoLTE by TFW. They may not have done that yet for fear of leaving you with no working service while your "ticket" is being worked on.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    So I wonder if your call went out to someone whose phone is not similarly capable. If so, then maybe the OTHER nice things that come with HD-Voice/VoLTE, including simultaneous Internet browsing while on a call, may also not be possible at that time.
    That's not the case, at least with Android phones. HD Voice is a sub-feature of VoLTE. If both phones on the call are using VoLTE on Verizon, then the call quality is HD. If only one phone is using VoLTE on Verizon, then there's no HD, but the call on that phone is still going through VoLTE, and Data can be used simultaneously. That's my finding after test calls from my VoLTE-enabled Moto E5 on TF/Verizon with several forum members.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Just now, I pulled the SIM card from the LG and put it into my iPhone SE. On the SE, I can turn click on "LTE, VoLTE On" and it is checked. But . . . I tried making a phone call and, while connected, was not able to use the Internet.

So, now I am back to either activating my brand new SIM card on the SE tomorrow, or waiting until "Miami Engineers" call me with their ideas about the problem.
    I don't want to dash your hope, but if the LG's VoLTE-provisioned SIM didn't get your SE to use VoLTE, then I think activating a new SIM on the SE won't make any difference.

In an early post, you said " In my case, all that happened for the first few days after I get the text message from TFW and tried to turn on VoLTE was that I got a message to contact TFW support". Are you still getting that message? Is it a voice message or an error message on the screen?

The fact that the message told you to contact TFW support indicates that it was not issued by the phone, but by TF system. I think there's something wrong with how your phone is set up in TF system.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    I don't want to dash your hope, but if the LG's VoLTE-provisioned SIM didn't get your SE to use VoLTE, then I think activating a new SIM on the SE won't make any difference.

In an early post, you said " In my case, all that happened for the first few days after I get the text message from TFW and tried to turn on VoLTE was that I got a message to contact TFW support". Are you still getting that message? Is it a voice message or an error message on the screen?

The fact that the message told you to contact TFW support indicates that it was not issued by the phone, but by TF system. I think there's something wrong with how your phone is set up in TF system.
    I think you are right on all counts, in this post and your previous one.

I haven't gotten the "contact TFW" message in a few days, but I have at least once in the past week.

Several of the first TFW people I spoke with said my IMEI shows in their system as not VoLTE compatible. The PagePlus (owned by TFW or vv) imei test says not compatible. The Verizon imei test says my phone is compatible.

The last TFW person I spoke with said her information said that any iPhone 6 or newer, including the SE, was VoLTE compatible. So my phone should be working on TFW with VoLTE. She is the one who supposedly elevated my issue to their engineers in Miami. As noted earlier, I am expecting a progress report phone call tomorrow. She could not give me any ticket or file number.

Feedback Score
    V
    If that theory is wrong, then maybe your browser was simply not working for some other unrelated reason. Have you checked lately that you can browse normally when not on a call, with either of the two SIM cards? Also see if it helps to have Cellular Data ON, and even "Wifi Assist" enabled. (By the way, did the call actually drop due to the attempt to browse?)

The only other possibilities I can think of:
    1. The two phones you swapped SIMs between may be too dissimilar to get the same results from the same SIM
    2. You still may need your service account to be explicitly set for VoLTE by TFW. They may not have done that yet for fear of leaving you with no working service while your "ticket" is being worked on.
    Let's put aside the question of HD voice. With either SIM card inserted in my SE and wifi turned off, I can browse normally with Safari. I can also make calls normally. Both phones say that LTE data is turned on.

What I cannot do on the SE with either SIM card is do an internet search while I have a call connected.

On your #2, it could be that my account needs to be set for VoLTE. Or, it could be that their database needs to be corrected so it does not show the SE (or just my and my wife's SE) as incompatible. Incidentally, both of our SEs are on the same TFW account, although my wife's SE was added at least a year after mine.

In both cases, we did start our accounts with earlier iPhones and upgraded to the SE. But that should not affect anything. If old settings were not updated, then no phone update would be recognized.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Several of the first TFW people I spoke with said my IMEI shows in their system as not VoLTE compatible.
    Info in TF system can be wrong sometimes. Last June, I bought a refurbished Huawei Sensa phone from TF web site, it uses TF/Verizon. Because it was sold at that time, it should be VoLTE-capable and the SIM VoLTE-provisoned. But there is no option to enable VoLTE in the phone, and it failed the VoLTE test, although its SIM passed the VoLTE test when swapped into my Moto E5. I searched the Internet and there were other people asking how to enable VoLTE on the Sensa, and the only option was to root it. But that can only be done with a non-TF Sensa. I messed with it for a while, but its service was expiring after 30 days, so I just combined its units with my Moto E5.

Feedback Score
    If it were the $15 LG refurbished phone, I wouldn't mind binning it. But I won't do that with our two SE phones. Nor will I buy new, larger and more expensive iPhones. We both like our SE phones!

I won't get ahead of the unfolding story by imagining the excuses the "Miami engineers" may give me tomorrow (or later) for why there's nothing they can do. I'll just hope for a miracle.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast