Thread: Would this kind of planning make absolutely no sense?

Feedback Score

Would this kind of planning make absolutely no sense?

I believe I want to start new cellular service with a new phone number on a android smartphone and use one of the Page Plus Cellular 120-day service plans, either their $10 or their $25 for 120-day arrangements. I am interested in Talk&Text, and some data use; I usually use less than 15 minutes per month in talk&text, and might occasionally do some web searching on the internet maybe up to an hour's worth, more typically less than an hour's worth of internet. Maybe the data/internet when away from home just to lookup some local site information and not much else.

Would this kind of planning make poor sense or no sense?

Feedback Score
    This is different. This is ok.
    If my actions include deeds of philanthropy in charity and acts of loving kindness I am living in my Faith.

Red Pocket (AT&T) UTnT 5GB exp 09.27.20
    Red Pocket (AT&T) UTnT 1GB exp 02.12.20
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.11.21
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1-use/3mo no exp by 04.11.20

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); LG Fiesta 2 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Are you saying less than an hour's worth of web use per month?

That's not much, of course, but try to find out, from any real world reports here (or wherever) how much data would actually be consumed by your activities, on average.

With the cost of data on this single bucket service of Page Plus's, you could very easily consume your balance in a surprisingly quick fashion. I believe it's still $0.05 per MB.

I have two lines of service using this plan, and I never use cellular data with them; only Wi-Fi, as it has become easy to do with my pattern of activity and approach to data use.

And you'll want to learn how to tightly button down how the phone does its updates of apps, which will scuttle the ship quickly if you don't . in other words, no app updates except over Wi-Fi (assuming you've got any access to that); only update the ones you use; get a handle on which ones may try to sneak background data and choose how you want that to occur. Stuff like that; management.

Feedback Score
    whacker,
    Thanks

I plan for just having a mobile phone (smartphone) "just in case" and for the small number of phone calls I might make when away from home, and including some text-messaging use. Most of my internet activity is done at home sometimes with direct wire connection and sometimes with the home wi-fi. Some occasions could occur when I'm away from home that I might like to do an internet search for some local places, check an address or telephone number to some local place, or maybe use Google Maps. I would download & install very few apps, and maybe I could choose to take updates to the phone's apps when I am at home like you say, so that the updating happens over wi-fi. Yes, I believe I would need no more than about an hour of internet activity per month with the hope-to-be new smartphone and cellular service.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by joseg2016 View Post
    I believe I want to start new cellular service with a new phone number on a android smartphone and use one of the Page Plus Cellular 120-day service plans, either their $10 or their $25 for 120-day arrangements. I am interested in Talk&Text, and some data use; I usually use less than 15 minutes per month in talk&text, and might occasionally do some web searching on the internet maybe up to an hour's worth, more typically less than an hour's worth of internet. Maybe the data/internet when away from home just to lookup some local site information and not much else.

Would this kind of planning make poor sense or no sense?
    $10 for 120 days would get you 200 MB, less what you use for talk and text at 5 cents a minute and 5 cents a text.

Some examples of data use:
    Load www.cnn.com and load one article - 5 MB
    Web search for nearby Appleby's and load the menu from Appleby's - 7 MB
    About one hour of navigation with GMaps - 5-8 MB

You won't get anywhere near an hour of active web browsing on 200 MB/3 = 67 MB/mo. (less talk and text use). Time spent reading web pages doesn't use data, just the data to load the page. Although, sites like CNN have dynamic content that updates and uses some data and watch out for web sites that autoplay video.

At $25 for 120 days there are other options that are competitive from Tracfone and Red Pocket.

That said, it can be done. My usage is very light - something like 50 MB, 10 minutes talk, and 10 texts a month. I use all I want to. I just don't have much need or desire when I am mobile.

Feedback Score
    bobdevnul
    Your post #5 helps. I looked at the plans information on the Red Pocket site. Some of them are better than alike ones of Page Plus Cellular.

On the other side, I see these PROBLEMS with Red Pocket:
    • The non-unlimited 360-day plans, although very inexpensive for some of them, require buy on Ebay.
    • Only a single low-priced attractive monthly 30-day plan; but it is a MONTHLY plan.
    • Sells a few devices for customers to buy but only iPhones and are too expensive (for me). None of Androids.

Choosing Page Plus Cellular appears to be a better way to start, even if it means trying to go through everything using the PPC website, without going to a local-store broker.

( I only used about 3 minutes of cell phone airtime during the last 5 weeks on my current plan with one of the MAIN cellular carriers.)

Device(s)
    Kyocera 2325
    Carrier(s)
    Page Plus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    joseg,
    Make sure you turn off data before you activate the phone on the PPC $10 plan or your apps will use up your $ very quickly!
    If you have data turned off you should not have a problem.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleAndy View Post
    joseg,
    Make sure you turn off data before you activate the phone on the PPC $10 plan or your apps will use up your $ very quickly!
    If you have data turned off you should not have a problem.
    Thanks for the warning. I did not know that turning off data BEFORE activating the phone was possible. I thought the user must first set up the phone (including activation) before user could make any changes to the device's settings. Your warning as described makes me want to choose the PPC monthly $12 plan to start service, which gives 100 MB of data. Any apps being updated if I still do not turn OFF data should be too bad. How much apps-updating data usage could that possibly be?

Could I also turn off updating at any time in the device's settings, like for just before I leave the house (where the main wi-fi would be)?

Device(s)
    LG Ultimate 2 L41C, HTC Evo 4G, Photon Mifi
    Carrier(s)
    Pageplus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Yes, you should be able to toggle on and off mobile data as needed. I would recommend it being off by default if you are on the standard plan .

FYI, with mobile data off, you won't be able to send mms picture messages. Not a big deal but should be aware.

Sent from my S3_Pro Umidigi using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Fine but I am just not sure when. Now been a long time ago since I TRIED setting up a prepaid phone and service plan (myself ). I do not remember the process so not know what steps were and not know when am able to turn on or off what.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by joseg2016 View Post
    Thanks for the warning. I did not know that turning off data BEFORE activating the phone was possible. I thought the user must first set up the phone (including activation) before user could make any changes to the device's settings.
    I think the warning was if when the phone activated, it would be in cellular data mode, and want to download a bunch of app updates. You can stop this by going into Settings in the Play Store app and setting it to "download over WiFi only". You should be able to toggle cellular data off before activation, even though it doesn't have any yet. Use the "Quick Settings".

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); LG Fiesta 2 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    joseg2016 -

One of the things you need to understand about Android phones, regarding what we're discussing here, is that the phone is by design tied to the Google "ecosystem."

There are many apps already installed on the phone that are looking to be updated immediately upon it being connected to the Internet, whether via cellular data or Wi-Fi, so unless you're aware of it, your intentionally modest data plan can be exhausted quickly.

The industry assumes (believe it or not) that you have a generous data allowance, and that you want very much to let all of the automatic processes occur to your phone that they've spent millions of dollars to establish and make available. Everyone wants every feature optimized, right?

And of course there is a need for a certain amount of this to happen, only, the default setting is for their assumption that you want what they want for your phone to rule.

Thus the warnings to prep your smart phone before first exposure to the Internet by switching off cellular data, and to learn how to effectively configure the Google Play app to only do things you want it to do and when to do it.

Not being one of those anti-Google types who shows up from time to time, I do recommend taking advantage of some great Google features, which require that you associate your phone with a Google account (meaning a Gmail account, which you don't have to use for email), which will at the very least allow you to store things like your contacts and photos online in different areas of Google's cloud. These types of features make it easy if/when you change phones to not rely solely on what's stored on the phone, and automates some things that you might find desirable.

Feedback Score
    Thanks again for some of that. I bought, setup and activated a smartphone a few years ago and I totally do not remember the steps. Fairly low priced plan; this was for prepaid arrangement; very very cheap smartphone. No update of apps interruptions as far as I remember. None. I did not even configure a Google account until at least a couple of days later. (Android operating system).