Thread: Telus/Koodo/(Public?) finally drag themselves out of stone age, start offering eSIM

Device(s)
    Essential PH-1 / Apple iPhone X
    Feedback Score

Telus/Koodo/(Public?) finally drag themselves out of stone age, start offering eSIM

As of this morning.

https://www.iphoneincanada.ca/carrie...-iphone-pixel/

Finally seeing how this all works, the things sound significantly worse than physical SIMs. Reset your phone to resolve a problem?: buy a new voucher from every carrier you have an eSIM with. Phone gets wiped to submit for repair?: buy a new voucher from every carrier you have an eSIM with (the carrier you submit the repair through might comp you that one). Switching to a new phone?: buy a new voucher from every carrier you have an eSIM with.

Telus-family Vouchers?: $20 each, for a bloody QR code.

Device(s)
    iPhone X & Pixel 2XL
    Carrier(s)
    Telus + Freedom Mobile
    Feedback Score
    What utter nonsense.....you cannot use it as primary line?

What if I only have one line and want to keep the sim slot open for traveling....

If someone tested with Primary SIM or having the only line on the account, please advise if it works.

Thanks

As for OP, I personally haven't reset my iPhone in 2.5 years....So not sure if that happens often with others, but I doubt it and I'm sure Telus will waive the fee when people complain having to reset the iPhone.

Other thing I wonder is, how do they know if its primary or secondary line?

What if people have like 5 family members on the account?
    Join me on Telegram https://t.me/Samshares

Telus: $67/20GB Can-US Plan
    Freedom: $30/8GB Can-US (2400 Minutes/1GB)

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus 32GB (iOS 12.3.1)
    Carrier(s)
    TELUS
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Samshares View Post

What if I only have one line and want to keep the sim slot open for traveling....

If someone tested with Primary SIM or having the only line on the account, please advise if it works.

Thanks

As for OP, I personally haven't reset my iPhone in 2.5 years....So not sure if that happens often with others, but I doubt it and I'm sure Telus will waive the fee when people complain having to reset the iPhone.

Other thing I wonder is, how do they know if its primary or secondary line?

What if people have like 5 family members on the account?
    I can confirm that it works with the eSIM being the primary line. It was as simple as a regular SIM swap with the only difference being the new SIM being eSIM. It's a plastic card with the eSIM QR code on one side and the SIM number and bar code on the other side. You don't even need anyone at a TELUS store to do it for you. You can just by the eSIM voucher and do the SIM swap yourself via self-serve. The only thing to keep in mind is that you will need internet access in order to add the QR code.

Also, the wording on TELUS' web page will be improved. It works just fine as the only line. My SIM slot is free now.

EDIT: The primary/secondary thing is irrelevant. As far as your phone is concerned, eSIM is always considered "secondary" but that doesn't mean you can't use it as your only line. Once you use another SIM, it'll prompt you to label it. Either one can be labelled whatever you want but you have to choose one as the default line for calling/texting people that aren't saved as contacts.

Device(s)
    iPhone X & Pixel 2XL
    Carrier(s)
    Telus + Freedom Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 31337hacker View Post
    I can confirm that it works with the eSIM being the primary line. It was as simple as a regular SIM swap with the only difference being the new SIM being eSIM. It's a plastic card with the eSIM QR code on one side and the SIM number and bar code on the other side. You don't even need anyone at a TELUS store to do it for you. You can just by the eSIM voucher and do the SIM swap yourself via self-serve. The only thing to keep in mind is that you will need internet access in order to add the QR code.

Also, the wording on TELUS' web page will be improved. It works just fine as the only line. My SIM slot is free now.

EDIT: The primary/secondary thing is irrelevant. As far as your phone is concerned, eSIM is always considered "secondary" but that doesn't mean you can't use it as your only line. Once you use another SIM, it'll prompt you to label it. Either one can be labelled whatever you want but you have to choose one as the default line for calling/texting people that aren't saved as contacts.

Makes sense, As a word of advice, always keep your useless dead SIM around, if you ever need to restore the phone and get in, it will need WiFI + inactive SIM at minimum.

So jus keep it around.

I am about to do this today adding my Fido Tablet Data $10/4GB to my iPhone, will keep my Telus SIM as is since I plan to rely more on Airalo eSIM service when I roam globally. I don't need to make any calls and all my close circle is on WhatsApp and FaceTime so their Data offering is much cheaper.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TELUS
    Feedback Score
    Makes sense, As a word of advice, always keep your useless dead SIM around, if you ever need to restore the phone and get in, it will need WiFI + inactive SIM at minimum.

So jus keep it around.

I am about to do this today adding my Fido Tablet Data $10/4GB to my iPhone, will keep my Telus SIM as is since I plan to rely more on Airalo eSIM service when I roam globally. I don't need to make any calls and all my close circle is on WhatsApp and FaceTime so their Data offering is much cheaper.
    For sure. I made sure to keep the inactive SIM.

I thought about keeping my personal line on physical SIM. I decided to switch to eSIM because I could always turn it off while travelling and use a super cheap local physical SIM for calling and a data eSIM like Airalo. And turn on my personal line on eSIM whenever I want. TELUS still has that stupid Wi-Fi calling abroad counts as roaming thing, unless you use a VPN with a Canadian IP address. And even that isn't fool-proof because most VPNs disconnect intermittently.

Device(s)
    iPhone X & Pixel 2XL
    Carrier(s)
    Telus + Freedom Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 31337hacker View Post
    For sure. I made sure to keep the inactive SIM.

I thought about keeping my personal line on physical SIM. I decided to switch to eSIM because I could always turn it off while travelling and use a super cheap local physical SIM for calling and a data eSIM like Airalo. And turn on my personal line on eSIM whenever I want. TELUS still has that stupid Wi-Fi calling abroad counts as roaming thing, unless you use a VPN with a Canadian IP address. And even that isn't fool-proof because most VPNs disconnect intermittently.
    Oh I didn't know about that, i just thought they wouldn't let you access it outside of Canada anyway, I never had work outside of Canada....not even in USA, which is stupid of them.

WiFi Calling should always be allowed to access from anywhere....but in Canada our carriers will gauge us for anything they possible can down the last cent.

In other news, I got my Fido Tablet Data Plan $10/4GB transferred over to a eSIM, the store sold me the SIM and said to swap it online....did just that and within 2 minutes I got my Fido Tablet Plan running on iPhone.

nice thing is that iPhone also allows Data Switching, meaning if one networks signal is low, it'll auto use data from secondary SIM/eSIM.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TELUS
    Feedback Score
    Oh I didn't know about that, i just thought they wouldn't let you access it outside of Canada anyway, I never had work outside of Canada....not even in USA, which is stupid of them.

WiFi Calling should always be allowed to access from anywhere....but in Canada our carriers will gauge us for anything they possible can down the last cent.

In other news, I got my Fido Tablet Data Plan $10/4GB transferred over to a eSIM, the store sold me the SIM and said to swap it online....did just that and within 2 minutes I got my Fido Tablet Plan running on iPhone.

nice thing is that iPhone also allows Data Switching, meaning if one networks signal is low, it'll auto use data from secondary SIM/eSIM.
    Only Rogers/Fido and Freedom Mobile allow Wi-Fi calling abroad without it counting as roaming. Bell and TELUS have a stupid policy regarding it. There shouldn't be any technical reason that they can't do it the same way.

The Allow Cellular Data Switching feature is pretty useful.

Carrier(s)
    Public Mobile & Telus $20/5gb
    Feedback Score
    I have been using a Freedom eSim and Koodo physical SIM for the past several months. I forward my Koodo number to my Freedom number when traveling in the USA as calling / texting and 1gb of data is included on Freedom.

One bug I have noticed though (iPhone XS - latest software) is that if I turn off my Koodo cellular line (physical sim) in order to avoid any accidental texts being sent - dual sim still has some weird quirks - and triggering the $8 / day easy roam charge - and at some other point turn on my Koodo SIM just to check if anyone has sent me any SMS messages (which are free to receive when roaming) I will every single time get charged the $8 daily fee for 0.01 kb of data usage despite data roaming being turned off.

This has happened to me 4 or 5 times now. If I just leave the Koodo SIM turned on I don't ever get billed the $8 charge unless I accidentally send an SMS. Stupid thing about dual sim support on the iPhone is that you can not control which number you send from when both sims are active and you receive a SMS on the Koodo number, if you reply despite changing all settings to use the Freedom number it will send the SMS with the Koodo number triggering the $8 fee.

Device(s)
    iPhone X & Pixel 2XL
    Carrier(s)
    Telus + Freedom Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cgartly View Post
    I have been using a Freedom eSim and Koodo physical SIM for the past several months. I forward my Koodo number to my Freedom number when traveling in the USA as calling / texting and 1gb of data is included on Freedom.

One bug I have noticed though (iPhone XS - latest software) is that if I turn off my Koodo cellular line (physical sim) in order to avoid any accidental texts being sent - dual sim still has some weird quirks - and triggering the $8 / day easy roam charge - and at some other point turn on my Koodo SIM just to check if anyone has sent me any SMS messages (which are free to receive when roaming) I will every single time get charged the $8 daily fee for 0.01 kb of data usage despite data roaming being turned off.

This has happened to me 4 or 5 times now. If I just leave the Koodo SIM turned on I don't ever get billed the $8 charge unless I accidentally send an SMS. Stupid thing about dual sim support on the iPhone is that you can not control which number you send from when both sims are active and you receive a SMS on the Koodo number, if you reply despite changing all settings to use the Freedom number it will send the SMS with the Koodo number triggering the $8 fee.
    I plan to test the Airalo data plan next time I am in USA.

I will rely only on WhatsApp/FaceTime/iMessage for communicating.

I have my Telus on Main SIM and Fido $10/4GB eSIM, which allows me to have coverage on both networks.

Device(s)
    iPhone8
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo, Freedom, Public
    Feedback Score

ESIM works as only line on account (no second line needed) but IOS has issues with activation unless you have another current active SIM card lying around (most people do but if not...)

Android plays much nicer with ESIM

You can save more than 1 ESIM on your phone, but only 1 can be active at a time
    Koodo $40 Canada Wide + 8GB + 1000 Intl LD
    Public $120 Province Wide + 12GB - $6 Autopay - $12 Loyalty - $45 Refer = $19 per Month
    Freedom $35 ($37-BTS) North America Wide + 8GB + 1GB Roaming

Device(s)
    iPhone X & Pixel 2XL
    Carrier(s)
    Telus + Freedom Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Peppermint View Post
    ESIM works as only line on account (no second line needed) but IOS has issues with activation unless you have another current active SIM card lying around (most people do but if not...)

yup, I figured all that out as well.

So the only issue with iPhone is you cannot do the initial activation without a physical SIM, but once that is done, you can setup a eSIM and when I say initial activation, I mean getting into the iPhone so you can access 'Apps' and Settings application.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Peppermint View Post

Oh really? So I can have my line switched over to ESiM on my XS Max and store a Cosmote ESiM while in Greece as well and Keep a physical VODAFONE SIM Card in the phone and switch between TELUS and COSMOTE for the ESiM?can I store a 3rd ESiM (Airalo) as well and toggle between the 3 ESiMs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhone X & Pixel 2XL
    Carrier(s)
    Telus + Freedom Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Maestro View Post
    Oh really? So I can have my line switched over to ESiM on my XS Max and store a Cosmote ESiM while in Greece as well and Keep a physical VODAFONE SIM Card in the phone and switch between TELUS and COSMOTE for the ESiM?can I store a 3rd ESiM (Airalo) as well and toggle between the 3 ESiMs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yes you can

Feedback Score
    Yes you can
    Thanks for the reply Samshares

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    yup, I figured all that out as well.

So the only issue with iPhone is you cannot do the initial activation without a physical SIM, but once that is done, you can setup a eSIM and when I say initial activation, I mean getting into the iPhone so you can access 'Apps' and Settings application.
    You can use wifi for that... do it all the time... you just get no sim error message ... but once you hit ok it goes away... you can still activate phone with wifi and Apple ID