• Staying Put?

1 8.33%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Just Switched from AT&T to Verizon -- 5 Lines -- Observations

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Checker79 View Post
    Haha talk about location dependent!
    My trainer just switched from att to T-Mobile because he was unable to use his phone in the training lab. I couldn’t get anything to work either. Would show 3 of 4 bars and day 4G, but data wouldn’t connect

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    No offense intended, but airport performance is hardly important or relevant to the average person, who might fly once every few years or so. I also doubt that airport performance is representative of overall cellular network quality.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bmtvaquero View Post
    No offense intended, but airport performance is hardly important or relevant to the average person, who might fly once every few years or so. I also doubt that airport performance is representative of overall cellular network quality.
    Well, it’s important to me since I work there. But I also had several areas surrounding where I live that also had poor performance.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by harlenm77 View Post
    Well, it’s important to me since I work there. But I also had several areas surrounding where I live that also had poor performance.

I agree. I was mostly referring to others making blanket statements about one service or another being superior or a downgrade, based on flying to various airports around the country.

Like you point out, your specific location is what's important to you, and that's all that matters.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s+ 64GB
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bmtvaquero View Post
    I agree. I was mostly referring to others making blanket statements about one service or another being superior or a downgrade, based on flying to various airports around the country.

Like you point out, your specific location is what's important to you, and that's all that matters.
    Nope. My complaints about Verizon pertain to the areas downtown and inside the terminal (upstairs, where 99% of people use it, and taxing around runways)

Verizon is 90% of the time the one who craps out first once you leave the terminal or when taxing around (I only work 3 days a week usually so end up flying for pleasure quite a bit), or even when I’m in those downtown hotels, I’m usually stuck on overloaded B13 or 5MHz of B5

AT&T has a much stronger mid band portfolio and it shows, even when I’m around Chicago.. Verizon always “works” but my data speeds slow to a crawl much faster on them in crowded areas (other than Navy Pier, at&t has not done LTE-A there yet for some reason). It’s just insane how much at&t has improved even in the last year. I wouldn't ever recommend them over Verizon before but they’ve done some real commendable work on their network after FirstNet
    Verizon: Grandfathered UDP
    T-Mobile: Magenta Amplified (airline employee plan)
    AT&T: Premium & More w/ Free 100Mbps VDSL2 "for life"

Feedback Score
    Well, I’ve been testing for the past week or so. And at least in my area I would generalize by saying Verizon is great for phone calls and generally has more reliable data (even with just one bar) but boy is it slow. Unfortunately I don’t really talk on the phone. But my wife does (that’s why we switched). Not sure why, but VOLTE calls on VZW are much louder/cleared than they were AT&T.

AT&T is much less congested and much faster in the NJ/PA areas in which I live and travel. I really miss my truly unlimited hotspots and 1080p streaming (multiple kids streaming multiple iPads all from the same hotspot with hardly ever a hiccup).

My new Verizon “unlimited” JetPacks (have 2 now) only get 15GB and then hard throttle to an almost useless 600 KB/s. I’ll have to spread our usage out more across phone hotspots than I did in the past — fortunate iOS 13 makes that super easy now for family sharing.

At least Verizon is a lot cheaper $210 with tax for all 6 lines versus $228 for 5 on AT&T with autopay and 50% off connected devices discounts. Of course all 5 of those lines were truly unlimited.

Still, there is the occasional location we’re Verizon shines like this tower 10 min from my house.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Feedback Score
    I should have added, I still see a lot of heterogeneity across different speed test apps on Verizon. Speedcheck is pretty consistent. But I’ve switched to Rootmetrics (Cell Phone Coverage Map) for the majority my my testing. What a nice app with continuous, automated repeat testing. Fast.com is throttled of course (Netflix).

It’s interesting that in VZM when running Okla the speeds increase during the test and are very solid/consistent during/within the test. On AT&T the speed would often start out fast (like burst mode) but then slow down throughout the duration of the test.

So far the 8800L JetPack seems to be working well. Though I easily killed the 15GB in had in only a few hours of test at my house.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s+ 64GB
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JSchnee21 View Post
    I should have added, I still see a lot of heterogeneity across different speed test apps on Verizon. Speedcheck is pretty consistent. But I’ve switched to Rootmetrics (Cell Phone Coverage Map) for the majority my my testing. What a nice app with continuous, automated repeat testing. Fast.com is throttled of course (Netflix).

It’s interesting that in VZM when running Okla the speeds increase during the test and are very solid/consistent during/within the test. On AT&T the speed would often start out fast (like burst mode) but then slow down throughout the duration of the test.

So far the 8800L JetPack seems to be working well. Though I easily killed the 15GB in had in only a few hours of test at my house.

Well hopefully they get to densifying like they have in Chicago and where i'm from in Columbus, OH.

Both of those cities it's not unusual for me to see 100-250Mbps outside (but this is in patches, you can tell where they've done work vs not)

AT&T having more mid-band, it was easier for them to just essentially swap less panels and enable more bandwidth on their network. if AT&T ever embraces small cells like Verizon has in some areas, their network will be absolutely killer. BUT with AT&T - I'm sure investors will complain they're spending too much CapEX again soon, and the wireless side will "fall apart" again about the time Verizon finally gets it together on a large scale.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JSchnee21 View Post
    Well, I’ve been testing for the past week or so. And at least in my area I would generalize by saying Verizon is great for phone calls and generally has more reliable data (even with just one bar) but boy is it slow. Unfortunately I don’t really talk on the phone. But my wife does (that’s why we switched). Not sure why, but VOLTE calls on VZW are much louder/cleared than they were AT&T.

AT&T is much less congested and much faster in the NJ/PA areas in which I live and travel. I really miss my truly unlimited hotspots and 1080p streaming (multiple kids streaming multiple iPads all from the same hotspot with hardly ever a hiccup).

My new Verizon “unlimited” JetPacks (have 2 now) only get 15GB and then hard throttle to an almost useless 600 KB/s. I’ll have to spread our usage out more across phone hotspots than I did in the past — fortunate iOS 13 makes that super easy now for family sharing.

At least Verizon is a lot cheaper $210 with tax for all 6 lines versus $228 for 5 on AT&T with autopay and 50% off connected devices discounts. Of course all 5 of those lines were truly unlimited.

Still, there is the occasional location we’re Verizon shines like this tower 10 min from my house.

If you’re in the southern NJ market Verizon is tapped out of spectrum ( 110 MHz total). While at&t has 160 MHz or greater. I live in northern NJ where Verizon is the better network. Heading south into central and southern NJ, AT&Ts network becomes much more robust.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the report. I have both AT&T and Verizon. They are both good at my location but AT&T is less congested. I have the Nighthawk on a old Unlimited Plus Plan. Never going to give up this unlimited plan and 1080p. Regarding the burst on the speed tests I have notice this too. It happens mainly in the city where it will burst to 80 then finish at say 45-50. This does not happen on the rural towers that I test on. Yesterday on a rural tower speed when straight to 74 and stayed there.

I also have the 8800L and USB730L on the old fUDP. Like you said I am limited to the 15g a month BUT I can stream at 1080p on both devices.

Feedback Score
    Yeah, I live in Middlesex, and drive the NJTPK everyday to/from PA where I work (Ambler). Dropped a call/data connection (Skype Business) this morning crossing the bridge to the PA TPK -- only one bar in the middle of the river. Never had that problem with AT&T.

Device(s)
    iPhone (Silver) Xs Max 256GB
    Carrier(s)
    (Dual Sim) T-Mobile - Unleash the Data Hounds!!! Xfinity Mobile (Verizon)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brad15 View Post
    AT&T having more mid-band, it was easier for them to just essentially swap less panels and enable more bandwidth on their network. if AT&T ever embraces small cells like Verizon has in some areas, their network will be absolutely killer. BUT with AT&T - I'm sure investors will complain they're spending too much CapEX again soon, and the wireless side will "fall apart" again about the time Verizon finally gets it together on a large scale.
    That's exactly right. They've only invested cause the guaranteed influx of cash from FirstNet.

Randall only wants to give the appearance of trying. As soon as no one is looking he'll be back up to his old tricks and it'll be back to the under performer we know AT&T is. Definitely not impressed.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    Hofo Veteran - Magenta Disciple

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by speedman2 View Post
    I have notice this too. It happens mainly in the city where it will burst to 80 then finish at say 45-50. This does not happen on the rural towers that I test on. Yesterday on a rural tower speed when straight to 74 and stayed there.
    I wonder if this is intentional in urban areas!?

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s+ 64GB
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Wide_opeN View Post
    That's exactly right. They've only invested cause the guaranteed influx of cash from FirstNet.

Randall only wants to give the appearance of trying. As soon as no one is looking he'll be back up to his old tricks and it'll be back to the under performer we know AT&T is. Definitely not impressed.

The fact of the matter is, FirstNet totally paid for essentially a network overhaul, and was totally an unnecessary thing (AT&T knew this, but took the cash and turned it into something good for everyone)

As someone who carries Verizon, T-Mobile, and AT&T. AT&T has been a clear leader since this FirstNet thing started materializing, and until they start underperforming they'll still be my go-to network of choice due to just how well it works.

Verizon has too many dead in the water/congested spots, T-Mobile still sucks indoors for speed (why they did not do DSS on 600MHz is beyond me, that was a missed opportunity), and AT&T generally "just works" and i'm not having to consistently test my connection via speedtest as my things "just work", Even when congested my pages still tend to load quickly on AT&T. Verizon and T-Mobile I can tell instantly when I hit a congested site as things stall when loading.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    You're definitely right to seize the day with AT&T no question.

My post was for anyone "not" in the know.

I'm more of a grandfathered one carrier kind of a guy, with the caveat being I do have dual sim with Xfinity, but I nearly pay nothing but taxes for that line. It's there for comparison and back up. This far, I've had no use for it other than to give the number to businesses.

AT&T needs a new CEO.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast