View Poll Results: Happy With Your Switch

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Happy You Switched TO Verizon?

    8 66.67%
  • Happy You Switched FROM Verizon?

    4 33.33%
  • Switching Back?

    0 0%
  • Staying Put?

    1 8.33%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 83

Thread: Just Switched from AT&T to Verizon -- 5 Lines -- Observations

  1. #46
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1,143
    Feedback Score
    0
    I am confused by posts such as the post by brad15 regarding ATT being so much better and Rootmetrics giving the win to Verizon year after year! What is up with this? Is Rootmetrics owned by Verizon? What is the truth?

  2. #47
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    1,981
    Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Root is biased towards Verizon
    They rate Verizon the best in spots where other carriers are clearly better. Overall root scores are worthless
    Quote Originally Posted by CellGeek View Post
    I am confused by posts such as the post by brad15 regarding ATT being so much better and Rootmetrics giving the win to Verizon year after year! What is up with this? Is Rootmetrics owned by Verizon? What is the truth?

  3. #48
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    5,175
    Feedback Score
    0

    Just Switched from AT&T to Verizon -- 5 Lines -- Observations

    Quote Originally Posted by wilbur101 View Post
    Root is biased towards Verizon
    They rate Verizon the best in spots where other carriers are clearly better. Overall root scores are worthless
    That is absolutely not true. Why did AT&T take over some Verizon markets this year then ? If you go thru each markets data performance it’s clear AT&T is leading in speed. Your statement bears no credibility. Show me a source that says VZ pays rootmetrics

  4. #49
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    73
    Feedback Score
    0
    Being a numbers guy myself, I pride myself on these types of comparisons. Unfortunately, the real answer is that it just depends. From my own testing (extensive on AT&T) much less on Verizon. in 2019/2020 the coverage footprints between AT&T and Verizon are now very close.

    With CDMA, pre-FirstNet, Verizon was definitely out in front. But they missed the boat on Prime spectrum auctions 600MHz, 700MHz (FirstNet), and are now rushing to catch up with CBRS. Verizon is the most popular carrier (greatest number of POPS), but yet they have the weakest spectrum position. This leads to congestion in many (but not all) markets and varies widely tower to tower. Verizon was all in on 5G UWB 28GHz, which, for mobile end users is almost completely useless. Tmo is correct in their approach (AT&T is following suit) deploying 5G on low band, BUT, even this will not be useful until the DSS software, basebands, and handsets mature.

    I don't think Rootmetrics is a shill. But remember they do all of their testing on Androids (generally Samsung) all of which have excellent Qualcomm modems. And Verizon is still benefiting from the reach of CDMA & EVDO for call completion, SMS, etc. When this gets shutdown, Verizon's excellent voice coverage will look a lot more like AT&T's.

    BUT, where I have to give Verizon credit, is that on my iPhone XSM, even when I only have one bar, my data still works (very slowly but it works) -- though I have dropped both Skype and Facetime calls with 1 bar. Voice calls have been great, louder, clearer, and more reliable than AT&T. On the same phone, even with 2 or 3 bars, I would routinely have data stalls / loss of data issues on AT&T.

    Honestly I was happy with AT&T. I never had an issue with coverage, and data speeds were very fast with no congestion to speak of. I don't really make phone calls, but my wife is on the phone all the time. And AT&T did not work well for her at her various work locations -- for voice or data. In general, Verizon has been fine for me. Some towers are very good (as good as AT&T) but many of the towers where I live and drive are not, and only offer speeds in the 10-50 Mbps range. This is generally fine for most things, but when trying to stream video -- Netflix, Facetime, Youtube, Skype, etc. it can be a problem. Especially if the connection is throttled (like Netflix).

    In my experience Verizon is less expensive -- surprisingly -- than AT&T. But there are more limits/caps/gotchas on their unlimited plans. Of course the newer AT&T plans (than I had) have many of the same types of limitations.

    In my mind it's a question of usage:
    1) Voice (VZW) OR Data (AT&T)?
    2) Faster speeds (AT&T) OR slightly more reliable / albeit slower (sometimes much slower) speeds (VZW)?
    3) International DATA roaming? AT&T wins here, hands down
    4) But unless VZW gets their act together, once AT&T finishes deploying FirstNet and DSS, I think they will be the network to beat
    5) I feel like VZM has done more work to "optimize" the performance and reliability of their network, where as AT&T goes for brute speed and hopes everything keeps working.
    6) It's crazy to me that Tmo/Sprint might not get approved. Only the combined company is really strong enough to challenge "Dumb and Dumber" (o: But when Legere leaves, I'm afraid Tmo will loose its mojo anyway

  5. #50
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    385
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by JSchnee21 View Post
    Being a numbers guy myself, I pride myself on these types of comparisons. Unfortunately, the real answer is that it just depends. From my own testing (extensive on AT&T) much less on Verizon. in 2019/2020 the coverage footprints between AT&T and Verizon are now very close.

    With CDMA, pre-FirstNet, Verizon was definitely out in front. But they missed the boat on Prime spectrum auctions 600MHz, 700MHz (FirstNet), and are now rushing to catch up with CBRS. Verizon is the most popular carrier (greatest number of POPS), but yet they have the weakest spectrum position. This leads to congestion in many (but not all) markets and varies widely tower to tower. Verizon was all in on 5G UWB 28GHz, which, for mobile end users is almost completely useless. Tmo is correct in their approach (AT&T is following suit) deploying 5G on low band, BUT, even this will not be useful until the DSS software, basebands, and handsets mature.

    I don't think Rootmetrics is a shill. But remember they do all of their testing on Androids (generally Samsung) all of which have excellent Qualcomm modems. And Verizon is still benefiting from the reach of CDMA & EVDO for call completion, SMS, etc. When this gets shutdown, Verizon's excellent voice coverage will look a lot more like AT&T's.

    BUT, where I have to give Verizon credit, is that on my iPhone XSM, even when I only have one bar, my data still works (very slowly but it works) -- though I have dropped both Skype and Facetime calls with 1 bar. Voice calls have been great, louder, clearer, and more reliable than AT&T. On the same phone, even with 2 or 3 bars, I would routinely have data stalls / loss of data issues on AT&T.

    Honestly I was happy with AT&T. I never had an issue with coverage, and data speeds were very fast with no congestion to speak of. I don't really make phone calls, but my wife is on the phone all the time. And AT&T did not work well for her at her various work locations -- for voice or data. In general, Verizon has been fine for me. Some towers are very good (as good as AT&T) but many of the towers where I live and drive are not, and only offer speeds in the 10-50 Mbps range. This is generally fine for most things, but when trying to stream video -- Netflix, Facetime, Youtube, Skype, etc. it can be a problem. Especially if the connection is throttled (like Netflix).

    In my experience Verizon is less expensive -- surprisingly -- than AT&T. But there are more limits/caps/gotchas on their unlimited plans. Of course the newer AT&T plans (than I had) have many of the same types of limitations.

    In my mind it's a question of usage:
    1) Voice (VZW) OR Data (AT&T)?
    2) Faster speeds (AT&T) OR slightly more reliable / albeit slower (sometimes much slower) speeds (VZW)?
    3) International DATA roaming? AT&T wins here, hands down
    4) But unless VZW gets their act together, once AT&T finishes deploying FirstNet and DSS, I think they will be the network to beat
    5) I feel like VZM has done more work to "optimize" the performance and reliability of their network, where as AT&T goes for brute speed and hopes everything keeps working.
    6) It's crazy to me that Tmo/Sprint might not get approved. Only the combined company is really strong enough to challenge "Dumb and Dumber" (o: But when Legere leaves, I'm afraid Tmo will loose its mojo anyway
    I have the same experience as you— on both an Xs Max and 11 Pro Max—

    “BUT, where I have to give Verizon credit, is that on my iPhone XSM, even when I only have one bar, my data still works (very slowly but it works) -- though I have dropped both Skype and Facetime calls with 1 bar. Voice calls have been great, louder, clearer, and more reliable than AT&T. On the same phone, even with 2 or 3 bars, I would routinely have data stalls / loss of data issues on AT&T.”

    Your post nailed it in terms of usage also, voice for Verizon if that’s crucial and if speed is #1 then that goes to AT&T.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  6. #51
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    6,574
    Device(s)
    iPhone 6s+ 64GB
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by JSchnee21 View Post
    Being a numbers guy myself, I pride myself on these types of comparisons. Unfortunately, the real answer is that it just depends. From my own testing (extensive on AT&T) much less on Verizon. in 2019/2020 the coverage footprints between AT&T and Verizon are now very close.

    With CDMA, pre-FirstNet, Verizon was definitely out in front. But they missed the boat on Prime spectrum auctions 600MHz, 700MHz (FirstNet), and are now rushing to catch up with CBRS. Verizon is the most popular carrier (greatest number of POPS), but yet they have the weakest spectrum position. This leads to congestion in many (but not all) markets and varies widely tower to tower. Verizon was all in on 5G UWB 28GHz, which, for mobile end users is almost completely useless. Tmo is correct in their approach (AT&T is following suit) deploying 5G on low band, BUT, even this will not be useful until the DSS software, basebands, and handsets mature.

    I don't think Rootmetrics is a shill. But remember they do all of their testing on Androids (generally Samsung) all of which have excellent Qualcomm modems. And Verizon is still benefiting from the reach of CDMA & EVDO for call completion, SMS, etc. When this gets shutdown, Verizon's excellent voice coverage will look a lot more like AT&T's.

    BUT, where I have to give Verizon credit, is that on my iPhone XSM, even when I only have one bar, my data still works (very slowly but it works) -- though I have dropped both Skype and Facetime calls with 1 bar. Voice calls have been great, louder, clearer, and more reliable than AT&T. On the same phone, even with 2 or 3 bars, I would routinely have data stalls / loss of data issues on AT&T.

    Honestly I was happy with AT&T. I never had an issue with coverage, and data speeds were very fast with no congestion to speak of. I don't really make phone calls, but my wife is on the phone all the time. And AT&T did not work well for her at her various work locations -- for voice or data. In general, Verizon has been fine for me. Some towers are very good (as good as AT&T) but many of the towers where I live and drive are not, and only offer speeds in the 10-50 Mbps range. This is generally fine for most things, but when trying to stream video -- Netflix, Facetime, Youtube, Skype, etc. it can be a problem. Especially if the connection is throttled (like Netflix).

    In my experience Verizon is less expensive -- surprisingly -- than AT&T. But there are more limits/caps/gotchas on their unlimited plans. Of course the newer AT&T plans (than I had) have many of the same types of limitations.

    In my mind it's a question of usage:
    1) Voice (VZW) OR Data (AT&T)?
    2) Faster speeds (AT&T) OR slightly more reliable / albeit slower (sometimes much slower) speeds (VZW)?
    3) International DATA roaming? AT&T wins here, hands down
    4) But unless VZW gets their act together, once AT&T finishes deploying FirstNet and DSS, I think they will be the network to beat
    5) I feel like VZM has done more work to "optimize" the performance and reliability of their network, where as AT&T goes for brute speed and hopes everything keeps working.
    6) It's crazy to me that Tmo/Sprint might not get approved. Only the combined company is really strong enough to challenge "Dumb and Dumber" (o: But when Legere leaves, I'm afraid Tmo will loose its mojo anyway
    Exactly... I could not write this better myself.

    Quote Originally Posted by CellGeek View Post
    I am confused by posts such as the post by brad15 regarding ATT being so much better and Rootmetrics giving the win to Verizon year after year! What is up with this? Is Rootmetrics owned by Verizon? What is the truth?
    Verizon has great marketing (and still going off the momentum of the reliability of their EARLY LTE and CDMA2000 network), and RootMetrics does tend to lead toward Verizon.

    I can say over the last two years though, AT&T has came to surpass Verizon in data quality easily due to them having stronger spectrum holdings in most locations. I'm not saying AT&T is end-all-be-all but they surely ARE in a much better spectrum position than Verizon and the testing shows.

    I still keep both, but Verizon is going to have to figure something out in the low/mid band area if they expect to stay on top for long. AT&T has started to see the frution from FirstNet and it'll only get better on that side for sure.

    Also, Verizon has RootMetrics on it's side, and GWS is on AT&T's.. It's more of a pick your poison with those tests I'm going based on real-world usage from traveling around doing dual sim for over a year
    Verizon: Grandfathered UDP
    T-Mobile: Magenta Amplified (airline employee plan)
    AT&T: Premium & More w/ Free 100Mbps VDSL2 "for life"

  7. #52
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    5,175
    Feedback Score
    0

    Just Switched from AT&T to Verizon -- 5 Lines -- Observations

    Quote Originally Posted by brad15 View Post
    Exactly... I could not write this better myself.



    Verizon has great marketing (and still going off the momentum of the reliability of their EARLY LTE and CDMA2000 network), and RootMetrics does tend to lead toward Verizon.

    I can say over the last two years though, AT&T has came to surpass Verizon in data quality easily due to them having stronger spectrum holdings in most locations. I'm not saying AT&T is end-all-be-all but they surely ARE in a much better spectrum position than Verizon and the testing shows.

    I still keep both, but Verizon is going to have to figure something out in the low/mid band area if they expect to stay on top for long. AT&T has started to see the frution from FirstNet and it'll only get better on that side for sure.

    Also, Verizon has RootMetrics on it's side, and GWS is on AT&T's.. It's more of a pick your poison with those tests I'm going based on real-world usage from traveling around doing dual sim for over a year
    Verizon had to see this explosion of data users. They have deep pockets and decided to spend billions on yahoo and oath. Both of which have been complete failures. Verizon could of struck a deal with dish for spectrum a few years back. Now they have to rush and densify to keep up with demand. They’re doing a good job of it in my market but it’s all location dependent. My gut tells me congestion will get worse , as VZ will have to wait for the CBRS and C band auctions. AT&T has the capacity it takes nationwide, the question is do they want to become number one. That’s easily attainable IMO.

  8. #53
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    6,574
    Device(s)
    iPhone 6s+ 64GB
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Checker79 View Post
    Verizon had to see this explosion of data users. They have deep pockets and decided to spend billions on yahoo and oath. Both of which have been complete failures. Verizon could of struck a deal with dish for spectrum a few years back. Now they have to rush and densify to keep up with demand. They’re doing a good job of it in my market but it’s all location dependent. My gut tells me congestion will get worse , as VZ will have to wait for the CBRS and C band auctions. AT&T has the capacity it takes nationwide, the question is do they want to become number one. That’s easily attainable IMO.
    Yeah, in Chicago and Columbus OH (where I spend most of my days off) Verizon has densified well with small cells (and the speeds generally show it there). Chicago, AT&T generally has better LTE speeds, and in Columbus AT&T is still kinda trash between downtown, short north, campus, and in north Clintonville (i regularly see "No Service" in some buildings, and just slow LTE others) - so that's why I say AT&T is not "end all be all" but they're doing work and even in Columbus i've been seeing a lot of improvement, so i'm eager to see what the final product will be.

    T-Mobile I love them, but until they get Sprint's mid-band spectrum they have courted way too many heavy data users for their current holdings and until they get DSS on 600MHz, they're just going to struggle in their own way indoors.

  9. #54
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    5,175
    Feedback Score
    0

    Just Switched from AT&T to Verizon -- 5 Lines -- Observations

    Quote Originally Posted by brad15 View Post
    Yeah, in Chicago and Columbus OH (where I spend most of my days off) Verizon has densified well with small cells (and the speeds generally show it there). Chicago, AT&T generally has better LTE speeds, and in Columbus AT&T is still kinda trash between downtown, short north, campus, and in north Clintonville (i regularly see "No Service" in some buildings, and just slow LTE others) - so that's why I say AT&T is not "end all be all" but they're doing work and even in Columbus i've been seeing a lot of improvement, so i'm eager to see what the final product will be.

    T-Mobile I love them, but until they get Sprint's mid-band spectrum they have courted way too many heavy data users for their current holdings and until they get DSS on 600MHz, they're just going to struggle in their own way indoors.

    I do think a carrier can get away with less spectrum if they’re dense enough. Zoning permits and planning can be an issue along with the NIMBY virus. There are still many towers Verizon hasn’t deployed all their spectrum ( especially in rural areas of the country). That should be a focus of theirs as well. If they can get mmW coverage to be solid in the areas where data usage is highest that also will help. It will take ten of thousands of sites to do that.

  10. #55
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1,143
    Feedback Score
    0

    Just Switched from AT&T to Verizon -- 5 Lines -- Observations

    Agreed regarding the NIMBY virus. Verizon was attempting to density in my area but was run out of town by militant NIMBYs. Coverage here has not improved in 20 years, only the technology has changed on the existing cell sites.

  11. #56
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Baja California / Sinaloa
    Posts
    22,390
    Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 11 Pro Max / Apple iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    Pacific Bell Wireless / Verizon Wireless / AT&T MX / Movistar MX / Telcel MX
    Feedback Score
    0
    I'm happy I moved two of three lines to Verizon. I moved one line back to AT&T and after a few months, moved it Verizon Wireless.
    I can actually use my cell phone line in my office for work related calls while my (like the rest of the poor souls on AT&T) and my parking spot in the underground parking garage while the AT&T line dies. Even outside the office, I have been in areas where AT&T simply doesn't work while Verizon Wireless was rocking on 1xEV.

    I was a T-Mobile customer, but I was kicked off so I moved that line back to AT&T before switching to Verizon.

    The bad part is that because I go to Mexico a lot so the cost of TravelPass adds up and the limited high speed data almost erodes the advantages that I have Verizon Wireless.

  12. #57
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    73
    Feedback Score
    0
    The newer unlimited plans, like mine, include Mexico and Canada so you might check that out.

    Also, keep in mind, when VZW shuts down CDMA/EVDO at the end of this year some of that extra coverage reach will be gone.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

  13. #58
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    5,339
    Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    0
    I do think a carrier can get away with less spectrum if they’re dense enough.
    Agreed. It seems like it could get quite expensive; but, per some googling, looks like the FCC has begun capping some charges municipalities can charge for small cells. Apparently capped at $500 per application (colocated) for up to 5, $100 per additional small cell, $1000 apiece cap for new sites, and $270 a year cap on recurring fees and right of way fees. That'll add up, but not too ridiculous. Of course there's the actual costs to install the site, the hardware, etc., but that does answer the question about how much fees could add up just for having sites around.

    I'm curious what Dish network will do with their spectrum, assuming T-Mo Sprint merger goes through. They don't have much spectrum, but with costs of putting up new microcells being so low, I do wonder if they'll just run a dense microcell network and minimal traditional macro cells. I could totally see Charlie having them roll their own microcell hardware.

  14. #59
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    466
    Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Checker79 View Post
    I do think a carrier can get away with less spectrum if they’re dense enough. Zoning permits and planning can be an issue along with the NIMBY virus. There are still many towers Verizon hasn’t deployed all their spectrum ( especially in rural areas of the country). That should be a focus of theirs as well. If they can get mmW coverage to be solid in the areas where data usage is highest that also will help. It will take ten of thousands of sites to do that.
    I do agree with that statement for the most part but Verizon is still bursting at the seams capacity wise. Between their prepaid, postpaid, and all the MVNO’s (my market is also a xfinity mobile area) they do struggle a lot in many places. They are already very dense in a lot of areas and coverage is excellent but they slow to a crawl in places from congestion. Verizon is also due for an upgrade of a lot of the small cells in my area. They have a lot of the older style giant grey small cells that I think are outdated that hopefully will be replaced with the newer small cells that have much better performance and newer technologies on them. If Verizon can get almost all their sites upgraded with 4x4 MIMO, 256 qam, LAA, and 5G MM wave then hopefully they can get by with current spectrum holdings till they can get some CBRS/C-band to help relieve capacity issues.

    I don’t think you will see a wide deployment of CBRS/C-band for another few years. Data use is only going to increase as time passes. If they are so tight now on capacity I can only imagine what it will be like in a few years as data use continues to increase.


    Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

  15. #60
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    44
    Feedback Score
    0
    Verizon must have upgraded around my airport. Att wouldn’t work here, and now I get this from vzw.




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Just switched from a n95-3 to a n95-4, couple questions
    By Polish Dude in forum Symbian/S60
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 02-28-2009, 05:42 PM
  2. Just switched from AT&T....
    By Portables in forum Verizon Wireless
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 03-24-2008, 05:58 PM
  3. just jumped from AT&T/Cingular to Nextel i860
    By thesazi in forum General Nextel Discussion
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 03-23-2005, 04:16 PM
  4. Just switched from AT&T to Tmobile. wow
    By ChocoDough in forum T-Mobile
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 01-02-2004, 01:07 AM
  5. Should I switch from AT&T GSM to TDMA?
    By geckojohn in forum AT&T
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-25-2003, 12:40 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks