Thread: Pixel 3 ESIM

Feedback Score

Pixel 3 ESIM

I got a pre-owned pixel 3 from Koodo there is no option to add an esim anywhere. I understand there's no DSDS, I just want to use a travel esim with the sim card removed. The phone is unlocked, I can use any other provider sim. I went through all possible solutions, rooted the phone, wiped, reset. I spent an hour with google and koodo on the phone. Koodo and Google acknowledge it should have esim. No one knows what's wrong with it. I deduced since it's a pre-owned phone it might have been a verison phone initially, and it's esim is permanently disabled. Koodo sent me a replacement. The replacement does not have an ESIM either. Can someone with a koodo pixel 3 confirm they have ESIM?

Device(s)
    iPhone X & Pixel 2XL
    Carrier(s)
    Telus + Freedom Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by daught View Post
    I got a pre-owned pixel 3 from Koodo there is no option to add an esim anywhere. I understand there's no DSDS, I just want to use a travel esim with the sim card removed. The phone is unlocked, I can use any other provider sim. I went through all possible solutions, rooted the phone, wiped, reset. I spent an hour with google and koodo on the phone. Koodo and Google acknowledge it should have esim. No one knows what's wrong with it. I deduced since it's a pre-owned phone it might have been a verison phone initially, and it's esim is permanently disabled. Koodo sent me a replacement. The replacement does not have an ESIM either. Can someone with a koodo pixel 3 confirm they have ESIM?
    Not sure but iPhoneinCanada website says 3A and 4 are only supported...so while Pixel 2 XL also has a eSIM but we cannot use it....in Canada....its bunch of non-sense but this is how carriers and google has played with its customers. So while your phone has it, you just cannot access it given you are using Koodo....if other networks support it, maybe switching to them some how by first inserting a SIM to provision their profile on the phone may allow you....

I only stated hypothetical info above, I am not a user of the Pixel 3 and onwards, I do have a Pixel 2 XL and its eSIM is locked out for USA Google's Project Fi only service.
    Join me on Telegram https://t.me/Samshares

Telus: $67/20GB Can-US Plan
    Freedom: $30/8GB Can-US (2400 Minutes/1GB)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Samshares View Post
    Not sure but iPhoneinCanada website says 3A and 4 are only supported...so while Pixel 2 XL also has a eSIM but we cannot use it....in Canada....its bunch of non-sense but this is how carriers and google has played with its customers. So while your phone has it, you just cannot access it given you are using Koodo....if other networks support it, maybe switching to them some how by first inserting a SIM to provision their profile on the phone may allow you....

I only stated hypothetical info above, I am not a user of the Pixel 3 and onwards, I do have a Pixel 2 XL and its eSIM is locked out for USA Google's Project Fi only service.
    The Pixel 3 should ask if you want to activate using esim if it's first started without a sim. I tried a non Canadian SIM anyways, but no difference. The frustrating thing is that neither koodo or google know why I don't have it.

Device(s)
    iPhone X & Pixel 2XL
    Carrier(s)
    Telus + Freedom Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by daught View Post
    The Pixel 3 should ask if you want to activate using esim if it's first started without a sim. I tried a non Canadian SIM anyways, but no difference. The frustrating thing is that neither koodo or google know why I don't have it.
    Perhaps in USA it might ask if you want to activate using eSIM but not in Canada....

Have you tried other network SIM's inside the phone?

Because you got a replacement and both are exhibiting same issue, it appears to be related to carrier provisioning / firmware on the phone....