Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Up and Running on Ting Verizon Beta

Feedback Score

Up and Running on Ting Verizon Beta

I am up and running fine on the Ting Verizon beta (thanks LiterallyUnlim).

My Samsung 8+ SM-G955U (not U1 in my case) is the Sprint model, subsequently unlocked by usage directly on Sprint, but most who read this would more likely use Samsung U1 ("factory unlocked") models (to avoid the ordeals of carrier unlocking where it is even possible at all) or of course other compatible brands including iPhones. (By the way Ting, like most other Verizon MVNO's, is not going to accept Verizon Retail phones or ports from Verizon numbers).

VoLTE is working fine which means voice is perfect. (VoLTE can be a big voice improvement for many who do not have it yet). Ting does not have Wifi Calling yet, but you normally do not need it with the universality and building-penetration of Verizon-based low-band coverage.

Hotspot works.

Speeds at my home in North Raleigh, NC are typically 8-20 Mbps down max, 5 or 6 Mbps up max, but during peak usage periods at more remote locations are more like 2-3 Mbps down, sub-1 Mbps up). I see many different bands in use.

The intra-day speed variation may reflect peak-hour congestion right in the immediate area where I live (lots of apartments) and possibly resulting deprioritizarion, or maybe all Verizon users have slowdowns at peak periods here - I do not know. I do see somewhat higher speeds around town.

I do get better speeds on Ting's Sprint side here (about 20 Mbps, sometimes 30 Mbps) and do not see much intra-day speed variation there, but I think one has to be realistic: You get to choose between Verizon-based service for its universal coverage, or alternatively, in the case of Ting, Sprint-based or TMobile-based coverage for its somewhat higher speeds in good areas, which are more limited geographically. In any case, all of the speeds are adequate for my normal use.

The Ting Verizon side is, as expected, showing me much better coverage inside stores, where I sometimes had 3G or no signal on the Sprint side.

I did have an initial glitch converting my S8+ over from Sprint-based use to Verizon-based use. Initially, after inserting the new Ting sim, the ROM remained at XAS/XAA/SPR and therefore Sprint's ODMADM service remained in place, messing up connectivity and voice did not work. It took swapping in another inactive Verizon (actually Selectel) sim temporarily to force the S8+ to switch personality to VZW/VZW/SPR and kill off the Sprint ODMADM etc. Then, after inserting the Ting sim, it settled in on VZW/XAA/SPR and things works well, including VoLTE (which may be necessary because CDMA Voice does not seem to work if I disable VoLTE, at least where I live). The migration issue could have been my error because I forgot to released Package Disabler Pro at first - maybe it interfered with the brand switching, or maybe the problem was that the Ting sim was already activated (you need an unactivated sim to force brand switching according to some).

Overall, it works well and I had fewer problems than I expected.
    Last edited by comintel; 01-11-2020 at 10:50 AM.

Feedback Score
    Interesting. I had not heard that Ting had added Verizon as a carrier.

Their plans have no appeal to me, but, of course, may to others.

Feedback Score
    I'm willing to bet it was the disabling of packages that caused the rebranding to fail. Our V1 SIMs are seen by most as Verizon, which should automatically download the right profile and switch.

Feedback Score
    Can't imagine how expensive this is going to be... Considering their sprint/tmobile offerings are sky-high ($15+tax and fees for a measly 100 talk, 100 text and 100 mb)

Feedback Score
    I'm assuming the rates for the Verizon service will be the same as Sprint and T-Mobile. It seems like they prefer to keep the pricing the same, beside for specific promotions, for simplicity's sake.

It seems that the current pricing structure works for some people. But
    I agree that the pricing needs to come down if they want to stay competitive.

Device(s)
    Moto Z4, ZTE Z232, SkyRoam, Isatphone 2.1, Karma Go
    Carrier(s)
    Vz/Visible,Sprint,Piranha,SkyRoam,InMarSat
    Feedback Score
    Whether Ting will keep T-Mo after the Dec 19th, 2020 switch over date likely depends on the T-Mo/Sprint merger.

Think Ting is probably best for people who want a group plan, have light to moderate wireless data needs, may need to have more than one carrier for their group plan (e.g. Verizon and Sprint), and want full customer service by phone if they need it.

Currently using Visible/Verizon myself on their unlimited Party Plan. A different pricing, technical and customer service model than Ting, but it serves my needs.

Feedback Score
    I think you got all kinds of lucky setting up your phone. Congrats.
    If my actions include deeds of philanthropy in charity and acts of loving kindness I am living in my Faith.

Red Pocket (AT&T) UTnT 5GB exp 09.27.20
    Red Pocket (AT&T) UTnT 1GB exp 02.12.20
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.11.21
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1-use/3mo no exp by 04.11.20

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    I think you got all kinds of lucky setting up your phone.
    I did spend many hours on it. It got into a really weird unstable state and I almost gave up and wrote it off until I came up with the trick of inserting an inactive Verizon sim to trigger brand switching, which I came across on XDA. Apparently any Verizon mvno sim (Selectel in my case) will also work but it has to be inactive to do the trick.

I posted all the details about the changing ROM levels etc as I switched sims around mainly in case it helps other people activating on (any) Verizon mvno. I know many have had severe issues.

Feedback Score
    Again congrats. I'm glad you explained a bit because you made it sound too easy at first. Thank goodness for XDA.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    Again congrats. I'm glad you explained a bit because you made it sound too easy at first. Thank goodness for XDA.
    Right I wanted to be fair to Ting by avoiding overemphasizing the challenges I ran into along the way, which would have come across as a negative review. They are there between the lines and I am glad that you could see them.

I was actually astounded at the end when everything suddenly snapped into alignment after having until then been in chaos with no voice, roaming on "Preferred Carrier", etc.

But it did all work in the end and I think that they deserve credit for having the service itself up and working, with all targeted features enabled on their side.
    Last edited by comintel; 01-13-2020 at 12:18 AM.

Device(s)
    LG Ultimate 2 L41C, HTC Evo 4G, Photon Mifi
    Carrier(s)
    Pageplus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Just wondering, will this fix that got your service up and running be permanent or do you have to do the sim swap again upon a reboot?

Sent from my S3_Pro Umidigi using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ShredFred View Post
    Just wondering, will this fix that got your service up and running be permanent or do you have to do the sim swap again upon a reboot?

Sent from my S3_Pro Umidigi using HoFo mobile app
    It is permanent.

There is a bright red full-screen graphic "Hello Verizon" screen that comes up on every boot now. That started when I first inserted the multi-year-old Selectel sim, but now continues to happen with everything working fine with the Ting sim in there when I boot.

I could never get this phone to work on Verizon MVNO's before. I tried on Puppy and I think on another Verizon MVNO.

There are quite a few people on various forums including XDA who still cannot get Samsung phones working properly on Verizon MVNO's, including trying all sorts of things including flashing the ROM. Most have U1 models ("factory unlocked") but some have U models (U.S. carrier branded but unlocked) too.

This is further complicated by the fact that Verizon will not allow its own Verizon U models onto its MVNO's except at a surcharge, so these MVNO's normally refuse to activate them at all.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by comintel View Post
    I could never get this phone to work on Verizon MVNO's before. I tried on Puppy and I think on another Verizon MVNO.

There are quite a few people on various forums including XDA who still cannot get Samsung phones working properly on Verizon MVNO's, including trying all sorts of things including flashing the ROM. Most have U1 models ("factory unlocked") but some have U models (U.S. carrier branded but unlocked) too.

This is further complicated by the fact that Verizon will not allow its own Verizon U models onto its MVNO's except at a surcharge, so these MVNO's normally refuse to activate them at all.
    I wonder if that may be related to using older versions of Samsung's firmware? Both of my Verizon branded S8+'s currently work on RP's CDMA network without issue. They didn't when they were running July/August 'ish 2019 firmware. You had to do the SIM swap in order to get them to work.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rustybronco View Post
    I wonder if that may be related to using older versions of Samsung's firmware? Both of my Verizon branded S8+'s currently work on RP's CDMA network without issue. They didn't when they were running July/August 'ish 2019 firmware. You had to do the SIM swap in order to get them to work.
    I agree that is quite likely. I was thinking that also.
    I certainly never got the "Hello Verizon" startup screen when testing Verizon MVNO sims a year or two ago. Yet I am using the same old sims (other than the Ting one).

So they must have updated the firmware to recognize Verizon mvno sims.

That is great news that this is working for you on Red Pocket also.

I assume you have VoLTE then but not Wifi Calling?
    If you disable VoLTE, does CDMA voice still work? It does not for me.
    Also the Verizon apps including Visual Voicemail do not work. Is that the same for you?
    Thanks.
    Last edited by comintel; 01-14-2020 at 12:06 PM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by comintel View Post
    I assume you have VoLTE then but not Wifi Calling?
    If you disable VoLTE, does CDMA voice still work? It does not for me.
    Also the Verizon apps including Visual Voicemail do not work. Is that the same for you?
    Thanks.
    Correct. VoLTE but not WiFi calling. I would love to have it but what can one expect for $12.68 per month.

I've never tried turning off VoLTE to see if it will fall back to 1xrtt or?? I do know if my phone doesn't show 4GLTE I can't make a phone call nor am I able to send or receive text messages. My gut feeling is it does not work on the "CDMA" network once VoLTE is enabled on the line.

VVM works just fine. I don't use any of the other Verizon apps. For messaging I use Google messages as the I have problems with stock Samsung messaging app sending and receiving MMS.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast