Thread: Track who sold a black listed phone to me.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S2
    Carrier(s)
    Virgin (Ca)
    Feedback Score

Track who sold a black listed phone to me.

Hi, not sure if this is the right place to post this.

I got a phone from Kijiji, when I got it the guy showed me the receipt, the phone was legit, looked at the IMEI online and on the blacklisted sites, everything seemed just fine.
    The phone worked just fine for the holidays.
    Just yesterday couldnt access services on the phone, I was told the phone was blacklisted.
    While im dealing with this issue. I was wondering if there is a way I can track the person who sold it to me in any way.
    Obviously the number he had is not in service and Rogers is not really giving me any more information.

Feedback Score
    At least here don't know about where you're at. Here the police won't do anything maybe file a report that's it. It's too minor to pursue.

If you paid other than by cash maybe you have options according to the payment method.

Tracking them? Afaik no. Think you're SOL except through payment methods.
    If my actions include deeds of philanthropy in charity and acts of loving kindness I am living in my Faith.

Red Pocket (AT&T) UTnT 5GB exp 09.27.20
    Red Pocket (AT&T) UTnT 1GB exp 02.12.20
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.11.21
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1-use/3mo no exp by 04.11.20

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    If the phone owner reported the phone as lost/stolen or due to a fraudulent insurance claim after you bought the phone, it might explain how it is now restricted. Unfortunately, nobody here can assist you in finding the person who sold it to you or resolve the problem. zapjb did offer you the best advice anyone can provide in your situation, albeit very limited choices available.
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rosco911 View Post
    Hi, not sure if this is the right place to post this.

I got a phone from Kijiji, when I got it the guy showed me the receipt, the phone was legit, looked at the IMEI online and on the blacklisted sites, everything seemed just fine.
    The phone worked just fine for the holidays.
    Just yesterday couldnt access services on the phone, I was told the phone was blacklisted.
    While im dealing with this issue. I was wondering if there is a way I can track the person who sold it to me in any way.
    Obviously the number he had is not in service and Rogers is not really giving me any more information.
    Sounds like one of those scams where the seller reported the phone lost or stolen and got your money and filed an insurance claim for more money.

You can file a report with the police, but they won't do anything. The carrier the phone was with before you bought it probably won't tell you anything about the previous owner.

You may be able to identify a possible insurance company where they filed a lost or stolen claim, which would be insurance fraud. The insurance company may be interested in pursuing the fraud. This probably won't get you any compensation or the phone working, but you may get revenge on the seller.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    bobdevnul, your response sounds almost identical to mine.