Thread: roaming allowed or not allowed but what then?

Feedback Score

roaming allowed or not allowed but what then?

After trying to find information in general about cellular phone ROAMING by searching online, I still do not fully understand, so I am asking:

Some carriers allow roaming and some do not. Not sure if this about the "technology" of cdma & gsm, or about service and calls between phone users of differing carriers. Let me try one or two examples.

(1) Passenger in a car starts a call on a cell phone (or receives and answers a call). Meanwhile he is still on the phone five minutes later and five or six miles away from before. Could the call fail now or become dropped?

(2) Two cell phone users want to call one to the other and they are 30 miles away, and neither is moving. Is it possible that no successful connection because their different service providers (carriers) do not have a "roaming agreement"? Major callerA is with mvnoA, and callerB is with mvnoB, and either mvnoA does not permit roaming or mvnoA and mvnoB do not have a roaming agreement? So callersA&B cannot talk to eachother?

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Roaming occurs when your cellular carrier has an agreement with another cellular carrier to provide network access for it's customers where your carrier does not. In the US, you can only roam on cellular networks approved and there is a roaming agreement. If there is no roaming agreement, you will need to wait for a strong enough signal to make or receive a call. It is not as much of a GSM vs. CDMA issue.

Bottom line, if you move to an area where the there is no coverage by your carrier (or roaming partner), the call will drop. I don't think there are any providers who don't offer nationwide coverage (only internationally would be different) and you should't have to worry about paying extra for roaming.
    Last edited by veriztd; 01-11-2020 at 04:35 PM.
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Feedback Score
    veriztd, I guess that means, I usually or almost never need to worry about roaming, dropped calls, or non-allowed calls when I am within in any given 20 to 40 mile radius region. I am generally in or near an urban area or big or medium sized city, while traveling or not.

So for example, if I take cellular service with like, Tello Mobile, I will be fine, all the time, for practical purposes. Minor transportation should make no difference?

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    You should be just fine. Feel free to ask questions, that's what we are here for. Don't forget that if you don't know and want more information there are no "silly questions". Before you activate service, check your serviceable areas with the carrier first.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Let's say you have Cricket Wireless (MVNO). If you're in O'Neil, NE and drive 42 mi south to Bartlett, you will not have any service (according to Cricket's coverage map). O'Neil has AT&T coverage. Bartlett is covered by Viaero, normally an AT&T roaming partner but not available on Cricket.

As for the 2nd part of your original question, it appears you're asking if phones can communicate if they are on different networks. The answer to that is "Yes". The network the other phone is on is irrelevant. Your phone connects to their network via a terrestrial route.
    Donald Newcomb

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    Let's say you have Cricket Wireless (MVNO). If you're in O'Neil, NE and drive 42 mi south to Bartlett, you will not have any service (according to Cricket's coverage map). O'Neil has AT&T coverage. Bartlett is covered by Viaero, normally an AT&T roaming partner but not available on Cricket.

As for the 2nd part of your original question, it appears you're asking if phones can communicate if they are on different networks. The answer to that is "Yes". The network the other phone is on is irrelevant. Your phone connects to their network via a terrestrial route.
    The way I asked question (2) was not very good. So the answer is, "they can NOT talk to each other" because the two different mvno's do not have a roaming agreement.

You seem to be saying that for question (1) example of the mvno-att and the mvno-viaero, the two callers cannot talk to each other because these two mvno's do not have the roaming agreement, even though both are resellers for AT&T. The reason I am confused on this, is that BOTH these mvno's should have agreement for roaming with ATT, and all three carriers if not two of them, should give overlapping coverage by areas.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by joseg2016 View Post
    The way I asked question (2) was not very good. So the answer is, "they can NOT talk to each other" because the two different mvno's do not have a roaming agreement.

You seem to be saying that for question (1) example of the mvno-att and the mvno-viaero, the two callers cannot talk to each other because these two mvno's do not have the roaming agreement, even though both are resellers for AT&T. The reason I am confused on this, is that BOTH these mvno's should have agreement for roaming with ATT, and all three carriers if not two of them, should give overlapping coverage by areas.
    Not exactly what I said. The roaming agreement kicks in when you are out of your carrier's coverage area (no signal available from your carrier). Your carrier sets up roaming agreements with other carriers to allow you to continue to use your phone in such areas. No agreement needed to talk to another carrier, only needed to use a different carrier's towers/network.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by joseg2016 View Post

No. Viaero is a regional mobile carrier in Nebraska and part of Colorado. Cricket is an AT&T MVNO that does not roam on Viaero's network in Nebraska. If you go to certain parts of Nebraska with a Cricket phone, you will not have service. If you go to the same place with an AT&T postpaid phone, you'll roam on Viaero.

MVNO's don't have roaming agreements with each other. They are "virtual networks" not real networks. MVNO's have service agreements with MNOs (real networks). As long as each of two MVNO phones are on networks that support each phone, they will be able to talk with each other. So a Sprint MVNO (e.g. Boost) phone can connect to a T-Mobile MVNO (e.g. Metro) phone as long as each has access to its supporting network.