Thread: whether to port number or to get new number

Feedback Score

whether to port number or to get new number

Same cell phone number over twenty years, with same carrier provider, but prefix of the number is of a location a few miles from where I actually live.

I will soon want to start cellular service with a different carrier and a different device. I could setup with a new cellular telephone number. Which is better? Port my current number, or to just ask for a new number for the new carrier and the new device? If new number, I should have the opportunity to get a number with my current same area code BUT with a prefix which better reflects where I am. Which is better?

Any advice welcome

Feedback Score
    A few years ago, I ported my cell phone number to Google Voice (cost $20). It was a great move. Typically porting a cell phone number between providers works just fine, but I've had a few nightmares along the way. Now I just get a new number and not bother with the hassle of porting when I switch providers. I just link my Google Voice number with the new provider phone number and I'm in business quickly.

There are many other advantages with Google Voice that I value, like being able to to get emails when somebody texts me or leaves voicemail. Since I'm an old fuddy-duddy, I really like being on my desktop computer, going to voice.google.com, and send/reply to text message on my nice monitor and keyboard.