Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Older Tracfones

Feedback Score

Older Tracfones

How do I dispose of older model Tracfones? I will not throw them in the garbage. I have reset all of them back to factory specs so as to not leave any personal info on them.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    You can give them to your local shelters for homeless people or battered women. They can use them to call 911 without needing an active plan. Make sure to provide the chargers/cables too.

Feedback Score
    Also make sure that the IMEIs / SIMs are not connected to your account in any way.

Device(s)
    Moto X4, Moto E5 Play, AT&T F160 flip, Kyo Dura XT
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone, FreeUp, Tello, T-Mo Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    You can look for a recycling center. Some phone stores will recycle for you.

Feedback Score
    Last resort is electronic recycling. Look for local government & organizations to hold these events from time to time.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Sheriff or local Police department can help.
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris109 View Post
    How do I dispose of older model Tracfones? I will not throw them in the garbage. I have reset all of them back to factory specs so as to not leave any personal info on them.
    Androids and Tracfone feature phones retain the last number they were active with if that matters to you. The number can't be used, but if that was your number it will still be there.

The only way I know to get rid of it is to activate with another SIM.

Verizon around here has a disposal bin. Best Buy may.

Our local police dept. collects them to give to people so they can have a minimum something to call 911.

Feedback Score
    My wife and I are both not so "connected" to want our primary phones next to us on our nightstands. Incoming calls from family members will ring on some Panasonic cordless handsets we have. But we each have an inactive, old smartphone with Google Voice by the bed. Those phones can call 911 via Verizon, can call out using Google Voice over our wifi and they can control our thermostat, check video doorbell, etc. It works for us and consumed two older smartphones.

Device(s)
    OnePlus 7T, Apple iPhone 6S, Apple iPad 3 (VZW variant)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Verizon Prepaid, Total Wireless (Verizon), FreedomPop (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    Donation centers are good, as they can reissue them to people for 911 access or Lifeline activation.

Many recycling companies will either accept them or send you to a place that will. Many electronics retailers will accept them to recycle or have a bin specifically for them as they do for rechargable batteries, including many Best Buy, Target and Walmart outlets.

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk
    My common forum nick: GenesisDH.

R.I.P. Circuit City

We are the Bor... the new AT&T: Your World, Assimilated.

1000th post: Sept. 29th, 2008, 17:42 CDT

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    Androids and Tracfone feature phones retain the last number they were active with if that matters to you. The number can't be used, but if that was your number it will still be there.
    Do you mean still on the phone? Even with a factory reset?

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score

I doubt that it would...

....still remain on the phone with a hard reset done on the device. The carrier will retain the phone information for a certain period of time though. If the phone still retains the phone # after all that, then nobody could reuse the phone with a different phone number which doesn't make a whole lot of sense. If someone has more insight, I am certain they will chime in.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris109 View Post
    Do you mean still on the phone? Even with a factory reset?
    For Androids, yes. Factory reset does not remove the last active phone number. It's still there in Settings -> About phone. Don't know if this applies to all versions of Android.

Activating the phone with a SIM that does not use a real phone number will clear it to Unknown. Truphone and Freedompop LTE work for this.

For Tracfone feature phones, I don't know. I was unable to do a factory reset on my old inactive one. I don't have the security code to try it.

Feedback Score
    Feature phones keep the number.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by veriztd View Post
    ....still remain on the phone with a hard reset done on the device. The carrier will retain the phone information for a certain period of time though. If the phone still retains the phone # after all that, then nobody could reuse the phone with a different phone number which doesn't make a whole lot of sense. If someone has more insight, I am certain they will chime in.
    It doesn't make much sense, but that's the way Android works in my personal experience with several phones. The phone can be reused because activation with a new number replaces the old one.

Feedback Score
    The display probably has no functionality, just a notepad. I believe the actual phone number is a more complicated code residing on the SIM. The notepad may remain intact for future reference.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast