Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Sprint MVNOs: can not activate LTE phone (1st generation) that does not have SIM

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by e.mote View Post
    Then again, it's a refurb that's been bulk bought by FreedomPop so may be it doesn't clear the usual Sprint restrictions. "Should" doesn't mean much when it doesn't. Try with CS to get to work, but if no go then just move on. Nothing has changed with Sprint, and you can pick up a phone for Sprint for cheap.
    The phone/MEID/ESN was clean. Two months ago I manually removed it from Tello and replaced by dummy MEID. After this I checked MEID on Tello and Ting and the phone was OK to activate.

Next, I found three ZTE force phones on Ebay with images of the phone with MEID on them. I ran ESN check by MEID and got same result everywhere: "The phone is not compatible...". It looks like ZTE Force is no more compatible with Sprint network from activation point of view (it most likely still works if already activated) except Hello Mobile where ESN check still returns OK to activate. What's interesting, all sellers claim that "ESN is clean" despite the fact that this phone can not be activated anymore.

It is definitely possible that blacklisting happened few weeks and even few days ago.

P.S. If the phone is already active on the network and allowed to activate, ESN check responds with something like "Your phone is compatible with...You can move your phone and phone number to ...".
    Last edited by RFK; 01-13-2020 at 06:54 PM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RFK View Post
    The phone/MEID/ESN was clean. Two months ago I manually removed it from Tello and replaced by dummy MEID. After this I checked MEID on Tello and Ting and the phone was OK to activate. Next, I found three ZTE force phones on Ebay with images of the phone with MEID on them. I ran ESN check by MEID and got same result everywhere: "The phone is not compatible...". It looks like ZTE Force is no more compatible with Sprint network from activation point of view (it most likely still works if already activated) except Hello Mobile where ESN check still returns OK to activate. What's interesting, all sellers claim that "ESN is clean" despite the fact that this phone can not be activated anymore. It is definitely possible that blacklisting happened few weeks and even few days ago.
    the phone may be just too old because the phone is unable to be updated and the technology is outdated. see the reviews - https://www.amazon.com/ZTE-Force-Pre.../dp/B00BPW6H68

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    the phone may be just too old because the phone is unable to be updated and the technology is outdated. see the reviews - https://www.amazon.com/ZTE-Force-Pre.../dp/B00BPW6H68
    The phone is indeed old, but it should not affect activation. By the way, it plays videos without any issue (despite reviews claim opposite).

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    What would it take to convince you that the early Sprint LTE phones had an embedded, non-removable SIM?
    No more argument here. I had never heard of such a device and based my opinion on my experience with At&t. Sorry for my misunderstanding and glad you were more knowledgeable on the matter.
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Feedback Score
    It has only LTE band 25! Why in the world someone would try to activate it today?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SoNic67 View Post
    It has only LTE band 25! Why in the world someone would try to activate it today?
    Mine were leftover phones from the Ringplus days. They were already paid for. I would not buy a band 25 only phone for main daily phone . My S3 is in my car as a backup phone where its most likely use is for talk and text. My sister uses the Viper as a hotspot. She's just doing a bit of email and light web browsing when away from home.

Sprint band 25 and EvDO work pretty well where we live for a bit of data in a pinch.

IIRC, the OP was in the same situation with trying to get some use out of a leftover phone.

Every phone need does not require a $1000 phone.

Feedback Score
    I agree. I am not going to use it as daily phone, only as backup phone in the car and/or for Craigslist. For this type of usage it is good phone. I do not need data for it at all, only voice and text.

Feedback Score
    @OP, again, ESN checkers aren't the final word, and you can always work with CS of whatever new provider to see if you can the phone to work. Places like Ting have CS that can probably help you out. Or not.

But ultimately, it's worth about $30, and doesn't warrant jumping through many hoops to get it working. As said, try. If not, then shrug and get another $30 Sprint phone from eBay.

>I do not need data for it at all, only voice and text.

You think the same as many of us here. Use a phone until it stops working. We can keep guessing why yours won't(?) activate, but we can only guess. Whatever the cause, it's a $30 phone if that. Easily replaceable.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by e.mote View Post
    @OP, again, ESN checkers aren't the final word, and you can always work with CS of whatever new provider to see if you can the phone to work. Places like Ting have CS that can probably help you out. Or not.
    OP asked this same question on Reddit. I offered to investigate via DM but heard nothing.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LiterallyUnlim View Post
    OP asked this same question on Reddit. I offered to investigate via DM but heard nothing.
    I sent you DM via Reddit.

Thank you

Feedback Score
    DM received. This looks like a deeper issue with embedded SIM devices (S3, EVOLTE, etc). Once I have something concrete, I'll follow up.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LiterallyUnlim View Post
    DM received. This looks like a deeper issue with embedded SIM devices (S3, EVOLTE, etc).
    That's what I suspected.

Feedback Score
    Interesting thread! I have a pair of Sprint LG Machs with embedded SIMs, one tests fine on BYOD tests (and was active until a couple of weeks ago on Tello), while the other returns as 'not compatible'. I thought maybe I'd copied down the numbers wrong, but hadn't gone back to check yet.

If I remember right, the rule on RingPlus was not to enter an embedded SIM # when activating. Since the SIM was already paired permanently in the Sprint database, entering it again sometimes caused issues.

But I know I've entered the ICCID the last couple of times I've had my Mach active. (Red Pocket and Tello).

Feedback Score

List of embedded LTE sim Sprint smartphones

Quote Originally Posted by Relztrah View Post
    FWIW I was able to activate an old Sprint-branded Samsung Galaxy S D700 on Red Pocket yellow (Sprint). It also does not have a SIM card slot but is 4G. I jumped at the eBay Redpocketstore $30/year low-use plan and had to email back and forth to Redpocketstore several times to explain that the phone is Sprint branded and will work, but I won't be using a SIM card. At purchase I selected Existing Sprint SIM.

My patience and diligence with eBay's Redpocketstore paid off.
    The Galaxy S D700 did not use a sim but it was a WIMAX 4G phone NOT LTE Sprint phone. It was on the list of no longer activateable Sprint 3g cdma/4g wimax phones back when they stopped their use in May 2019.

The complete list afaik of all Sprint phones with embedded LTE sims is
    Galaxy Note 2, S3, HTC Evo 4g LTE, LG Viper LTE samsung galaxy nexus, ZTE Force, ZTE flash, Samsung Galaxy victory , motorola photon q, LG mach, Lg optimus g.
    If anyone knows of others, list them. I preferred using embedded lte Sprint phones over later models for a while because of the stupid sim issue (where Sprint had to have some 30 plus types of sims making byod a bloody mess ) before they made a halfbaked attempt to simplify it later

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2