Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: External Antenna Band 13 MIMO?

Feedback Score
    Comparing your B13 to your B4 won't tell you much.

If you have the inclination, you can find out whether your Poynting ant is worth the money. Buy the Wilson at the above link (free shipping) as a drop-in replacement for the Poynting, and do head-to-head tests. At the end, you can return the Wilson for the cost of return shipping. Then you will definitively know.

Feedback Score
    Maybe next summer... it's too cold right now to mess with that stuff.

Feedback Score
    After reading a bit more about Poynting, my earlier skepticism of it is ameliorated somewhat. Apparently it is an established brand out of South Africa (.za), with presence in EU and North America. Frontier Comm is the US distributor. An ongoing forum "thread" with official Poynting presence is at

https://mybroadband.co.za/forum/thre...-thread.630443

which has been around since 2014. As per the address, it is based in South Africa, so differences (to the US) apply.

Googling on the "Poynting vs Wilson" theme, I found one blog piece here,

https://seabits.com/poynting-omni-antenna-testing

The piece isn't that informative, but my (revised) takeaways based on the post,

Good build quality. Expensive, as to be expected when you buy imported stuff. Not much in the way of web/customer reviews, at least from the usual US-based sources. My earlier low opinion of its over-the-top marketing stands.

As for Poynting vs Wilson, my impression, based on the single review, is that they're about the same quality-wise, with Wilson having the obvious edge in price, and in user-experience, at least for US use.

As to a wideband antenna, I wouldn't buy one at this point without 600MHz coverage. I've yet to see one from Wilson or Poynting, which hopefully will be updated to include that. For long-haul reception, it's probably best to get a band-specific high-gain ant anyway.

Per the blog post itself, which found that the Poynting $400 X-pol omni performed worse than the equiv Poynting V-pol omni in most cases, my takeaway is that more isn't always better, and in this instance, worse. The author's environment--an everchanging env with many hard, reflective surfaces--would make X-pol the preferred choice for an omni, which costs 2x as much as the V-pol. Yet the V-pol is better.

This reinforces the consumer adage: Beware of marketing buzzwords. MIMO isn't all that. Sometimes, the tried-and-true is still best.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2