Thread: T-Mobile 30 Day Test Drive Hotspot Test Results

Device(s)
    Samsung S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless
    Feedback Score

T-Mobile 30 Day Test Drive Hotspot Test Results

I ordered one of the free T-Mobile hotspots with 30 days of service to see how their hotspot service works at my house. The download speed was okay 6.51 to 17.3 Mb/s. The upload speed, latency, and jitter, was not so good. Oddly, if I selected a T-Mobile server in the speed test, the test would not run at all, but if I let the speed test choose a server then it would run.

You need to open the picture to be able to see the results.

Name:  tmobiletestdrive.jpg
Views: 406
Size:  35.2 KB

Feedback Score
    The Test Drive units aren’t necessarily a good representation of what speeds you’ll get on T-Mobile. It’s better to just judge whether you’ll get a signal in a given area etc.

Device(s)
    Any Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by erikkarma808 View Post
    The Test Drive units aren’t necessarily a good representation of what speeds you’ll get on T-Mobile. It’s better to just judge whether you’ll get a signal in a given area etc.
    Yup. I really don't know what T-Mo was thinking using those crap Coolpad hotspots as test devices. I ordered one for my mom's house before we visited this summer. (She has no cellphone or computer, so no WiFi!) T-Mo service is pretty weak there, but works ok on the upper floor. I figured we'd fire up the hotspot by the upstairs window when visiting and use WiFi calling through the house. (Normally we all drift in and out of service in the house all day.)

The Coolpad had very slow data speeds and lousy WiFi range. I shut it off and put my T-Mo tablet SIM in an old unlocked prepaid Verizon Motorola phone I carry in my travel kit, and it got better signal, faster speeds and a better WiFi range in hotspot mode than the dedicated hotspot did.

I wonder how many people who took the "test drive" dismissed T-Mo service based on the lackluster performance of the hotspot hardware...

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    --
    Todd Allcock, Microsoft MVP: Mobile Devices 2007-2011

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by elecconnec View Post
    Yup. I really don't know what T-Mo was thinking using those crap Coolpad hotspots as test devices.

They were thinking we're going to use these to help get us 7 million new customers this year. And they did. It's not surprising that you would be complaining about a free offer by T-Mobile.

Device(s)
    Any Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jet1000 View Post
    They were thinking we're going to use these to help get us 7 million new customers this year. And they did. It's not surprising that you would be complaining about a free offer by T-Mobile.
    Maybe they would've gotten 8 million new customers this year, but a million decided to try the test drive first before subscribing.

If a mall restaurant offers free samples in a food court to entice potential customers, they make sure that the food they're offering is as good as they can make, else it might not convince anyone to eat there. They don't grab some spoiled leftovers and then say "rather than throw this away, let's give it away as samples so we don't waste it!"

There have been numerous complaints about that hotspot, both here and on the T-Mo website (from the unfortunates who actually *paid* for one!) I'm suggesting that people who took the test drive offer and then were dissatisfied would naturally blame T-Mobile's *service*, rather than the *device*, which would be bad for T-Mobile, wouldn't it?

A better plan might have been to loan a better device and require it to be returned (like when they did the test drive the first time with iPhones) than to give out these pieces of trash and give a bunch of people a bad experience that encourages them *not* to subscribe. The fact that T-Mo doesn't even bother to ask for them back tells you exactly what they're worth.

Feedback Score
    Maybe they would've gotten 8 million new customers this year, but a million decided to try the test drive first before subscribing.
    You're dreaming. This promo has hardly been advertised. It was a little gimick they did. If it kept any customers away, one can only hope they were ones who would have complained and had been as dissatisfied with T-Mobile service as you are.

A better plan might have been to loan a better device and require it to be returned
    Yeah sure, they should've gotten millions of dollars worth of $300 hotspots and had their employees waste their valuable time loaning these devices out and checking them back in and tracking down the ones that didn't get returned. Really? All so you, an existing customer (so you claim), could test out the network at your mom's house while on vacation. Sounds like a horrible use of the employees' time.

than to give out these pieces of trash and give a bunch of people a bad experience that encourages them *not* to subscribe.
    Look, 7 million new customers, they don't need business advice from you. They seem to be doing fine on their own.

If they got some people to become customers for giving out a Coolpad, that's better than they had before. They knew the devices were cheap. Even the press release said, "After the trial, drop the hotspot off at any T-Mobile store or hand it off to a friend. Hell, put it under that wobbly table leg. "

The press release also said, "Zero cost. Zero hassle." Zero hassle for T-Mobile as well---unlike your costly and cumbersome idea.

But go ahead, keep complaining that they gave you something free. Your despising of T-Mobile knows no limits.

Device(s)
    Any Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jet1000 View Post
    You're dreaming. This promo has hardly been advertised. It was a little gimick they did. If it kept any customers away, one can only hope they were ones who would have complained and had been as dissatisfied with T-Mobile service as you are.

Yeah sure, they should've gotten millions of dollars worth of $300 hotspots and had their employees waste their valuable time loaning these devices out and checking them back in and tracking down the ones that didn't get returned. Really? All so you, an existing customer (so you claim), could test out the network at your mom's house while on vacation. Sounds like a horrible use of the employees' time.

Look, 7 million new customers, they don't need business advice from you. They seem to be doing fine on their own.

If they got some people to become customers for giving out a Coolpad, that's better than they had before. They knew the devices were cheap. Even the press release said, "After the trial, drop the hotspot off at any T-Mobile store or hand it off to a friend. Hell, put it under that wobbly table leg. "

The press release also said, "Zero cost. Zero hassle." Zero hassle for T-Mobile as well---unlike your costly and cumbersome idea.

But go ahead, keep complaining that they gave you something free. Your despising of T-Mobile knows no limits.
    Geez, the "million" was a joke- an exaggeration based on *your* statement "They were thinking we're going to use these to help get us 7 million new customers this year. And they did..."
    That implies the Coolpads were somehow a significant part of the reason T-Mo had 7 million new adds. They weren't.

I already knew how the service was at my mom's house (very intermittent.) I was hoping that a hotspot would solve our problem of intermittent service. (And it did. As long as the hotspot wasn't the Coolpad Test Drive unit!)

Besides, if your reading comprehension wasn't clouded by your preconceptions, you might have realized my complaint wasn't anti-T-Mobile, it was actually pro T-Mobile (if you go back and re-read, you'd notice I was *defending* T-Mo service by suggesting a prior poster's slow service during the test was likely due to the *device*, not T-Mo's service!) I was just pointing out the inherent problem that by using substandard hardware to try to entice non-T-Mo users to test their service, they might be driving potential customers away.

As a T-Mo customer, I *knew* their service was better than I was getting from the Test Drive. I replaced it with a phone in hotspot mode and got on with my life. A long time AT&T or Verizon customer testing T-Mo as a potential replacement *doesn't* necessarily know that- they'll get lousy performance from the test drive and say "I guess I was right not to use these T-Mobile guys all along"... And then they get on with their lives too, but without T-Mobile.

So, given the self-sabotaging performance of the Coolpads, there were two better options: either loan out better hardware (as they had already done previously with the iPhone Test Drive, so your diatribe about "employees wasting valuable time" tracking loaner devices seems odd because T-Mo had already done that previously!) or, just don't offer a test drive at all. No test drive would be a better sales tool than a terrible one.

If you went to test drive a new car, and the dealer said "sorry, all we have at the moment for you to try is a 1974 AMC Gremlin we found in a junkyard, but that should give you a pretty decent idea of how our new cars ride..." how likely do you think you'd be buying a car there after taking the Gremlin for a spin?

(And for what it's worth, the Coolpad does a pretty lousy job supporting wobbly tables, too!)

Device(s)
    Samsung S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Yup. I really don't know what T-Mo was thinking using those crap Coolpad hotspots as test devices. I ordered one for my mom's house before we visited this summer. (She has no cellphone or computer, so no WiFi!) T-Mo service is pretty weak there, but works ok on the upper floor. I figured we'd fire up the hotspot by the upstairs window when visiting and use WiFi calling through the house. (Normally we all drift in and out of service in the house all day.)

The Coolpad had very slow data speeds and lousy WiFi range. I shut it off and put my T-Mo tablet SIM in an old unlocked prepaid Verizon Motorola phone I carry in my travel kit, and it got better signal, faster speeds and a better WiFi range in hotspot mode than the dedicated hotspot did.

I wonder how many people who took the "test drive" dismissed T-Mo service based on the lackluster performance of the hotspot hardware...

I never would expect them to send out lousy hardware to convince people to sign up for a Mi-Fi type account. I guess I could try the SIM in an unlocked phone to see if the speed was any better.

Perhaps they somehow ended up with thousands of lousy Mi-Fi devices and figured that this would be a good way to dispose of them.

Device(s)
    Any Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianAngela View Post
    I never would expect them to send out lousy hardware to convince people to sign up for a Mi-Fi type account. I guess I could try the SIM in an unlocked phone to see if the speed was any better.

Perhaps they somehow ended up with thousands of lousy Mi-Fi devices and figured that this would be a good way to dispose of them.
    It was a pretty convoluted promotion from the start.

It wasn't really trying to promote hotspot accounts, as far as I can tell; it was supposedly a way to test out T-Mo service and coverage without having to change devices or phone numbers.

The idea, it seemed, was that you'd connect your phone to the hotspot via WiFi, using T-Mo's data (and WiFi calling if your carrier and phone supported it). In theory, you'd be testing T-Mo's service on your own device(s): https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-39229

Several years ago, T-Mo ran a similar promo using iPhone 5S's as the test devices. You gave them your credit card (in case you failed to return the phone!) and they mailed you a 5S and a prepaid mailer to send it back when the test was over.

Feedback Score

The Coolpad had very slow data speeds and lousy WiFi range. I shut it off and put my T-Mo tablet SIM in an old unlocked prepaid Verizon Motorola phone I carry in my travel kit, and it got better signal, faster speeds and a better WiFi range in hotspot mode than the dedicated hotspot did....
    Thanks for the comparison between the Coolpad and another device. I had not heard that the Coolpad was weaksauce.

I got one of these things because of FREE. And I wanted to check the state of T-Mo around here. I last checked a couple of years ago with a free tablet SIM and it was abysmal, with weak and intermittent signal only at a window of the house. Around town it was hit and miss, between towns even more hit and miss.

Now with the Coolpad test drive I am getting usable signal inside throughout the house. This is a huge improvement. Previously only Verizon had signal inside the house.

I will speculate that T-mo signal inside the house is on 600 MHz band 71. This area did not get the early deployment of band 71 because of a lot of TV stations that needed to move. Cellmapper shows that there is now band 71 on some of the cells around here. The closest appears to be about five miles away.

The speed is not very impressive, but would be usable. What is impressive is that it works inside the house. AT&T and Sprint can't do that. Verizon is still much better.

Speeds in Mbps
    Other Devices: AT&T ZTE Velocity hotspot, Verizon Moto G6 and E5

At Window:
    T-Mo 5.5 down, 3 up, Signal -113 dBm
    AT&T 7.4 down, 4.9 up, Signal -101 dBm
    Verizon 38 down

In Deepest Interior Room
    T-Mo 3 down, 1.7 up, Signal -117 dBm
    AT&T 1.2 down, 0.3 up
    Verizon 36 down

The T-Mo map shows that they have some 5 G here. If they split band 71 between LTE and 5G that could explain the moderate LTE speed, along with my distance from the cell and signal level.

So thanks T-Mo for the test drive. That is a nice uncarrier move.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

T-Mobile 30 Day Test Drive Hotspot Test Results

Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    Thanks for the comparison between the Coolpad and another device. I had not heard that the Coolpad was weaksauce.

I got one of these things because of FREE. And I wanted to check the state of T-Mo around here. I last checked a couple of years ago with a free tablet SIM and it was abysmal, with weak and intermittent signal only at a window of the house. Around town it was hit and miss, between towns even more hit and miss.

Now with the Coolpad test drive I am getting usable signal inside throughout the house. This is a huge improvement. Previously only Verizon had signal inside the house.

I will speculate that T-mo signal inside the house is on 600 MHz band 71. This area did not get the early deployment of band 71 because of a lot of TV stations that needed to move. Cellmapper shows that there is now band 71 on some of the cells around here. The closest appears to be about five miles away.

The speed is not very impressive, but would be usable. What is impressive is that it works inside the house. AT&T and Sprint can't do that. Verizon is still much better.

Speeds in Mbps
    Other Devices: AT&T ZTE Velocity hotspot, Verizon Moto G6 and E5

At Window:
    T-Mo 5.5 down, 3 up, Signal -113 dBm
    AT&T 7.4 down, 4.9 up, Signal -101 dBm
    Verizon 38 down

In Deepest Interior Room
    T-Mo 3 down, 1.7 up, Signal -117 dBm
    AT&T 1.2 down, 0.3 up
    Verizon 36 down

The T-Mo map shows that they have some 5 G here. If they split band 71 between LTE and 5G that could explain the moderate LTE speed, along with my distance from the cell and signal level.

So thanks T-Mo for the test drive. That is a nice uncarrier move.
    That’s awesome to read and exactly the kind of feedback potential T-Mobile users in your area need to hear.

The good news is that service on a better performing mobile device could potentially be faster.

I too got two of those free hotspots. First one bricked during activation. The second one worked but was so much slower than my iPhone 11 Pro Max.
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Device(s)
    Samsung S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianAngela View Post

I tried the Coolpad somewhere else and speeds were much better. I had a full strength signal both at my house and at the coffee house that I was at yesterday.

Name:  coolpad14_01_2020.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  50.0 KB

One was via Wi-Fi with the Coolpad, one was direct over LTE, so that is likely also part of the difference.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s+ 64GB
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    Take the SIM out and put it directly in your iPhone.. i'll bet you get much better speeds.

That coolpad is not great for speed, not even great at connecting sometimes.
    Verizon: Grandfathered UDP
    T-Mobile: Magenta Amplified (airline employee plan)
    AT&T: Premium & More w/ Free 100Mbps VDSL2 "for life"

Device(s)
    Samsung S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brad15 View Post
    Take the SIM out and put it directly in your iPhone.. i'll bet you get much better speeds.

That coolpad is not great for speed, not even great at connecting sometimes.
    I tried the SIM from the Coolpad in an iPhone. It didn't work at all. "No Network." I don't know how they disabled it from working in an iPhone or if it was user error.

Device(s)
    Samsung Captivate
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I picked up a Coolpad last fall, end that's what almost convinced me to switch to T-Mobile. I knew it wasn't a stellar device, but that kind of worked to my advantage because I figured that, if it could get a signal, then a good phone would work just as well, if not better. My last test was to buy a Mint Mobile test SIM off Amazon for $5 and pop it in my old Pixel 2 XL. After that, I was convinced that the service was good enough to switch to.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    The 411 on Free 411
    Hanging Up on Telemarketers
    Need to waste some valuable time? Read my blog![/COLOR] Marion's Time Waster