Thread: TF says old iPhone 5 won't work anymore, now what?

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score

TF says old iPhone 5 won't work anymore, now what?

My Tracfone is on Verizon. I'm in the Seattle area. I just got the "you've gotta upgrade to a VoltE phone" text message. I'm using an iPhone 5 that I bought used in 2015, so I've gotten my money's worth. I understand I have some time, but I want to start thinking about it now.

So, am I better off buying a phone from Tracfone, or doing BYOP from another source? And is there any compelling reason to switch to Android? I know they offer more for the money, but I like iOS. Considerations:

- My needs are modest. I just use my mobile phone as a phone, and to look up things on the Internet when I'm not home. No gaming, no movies.
    - I also have an iPad. My wife has a ZTE Citrine 'Droid, which she uses only as a phone.
    - I think Google is more privacy-invasive than Apple.
    - I have a small investment in iPhone apps. They would carry over to a new iPhone. Android, I would start over.
    - I travel internationally about once a year, and buy a local SIM where I stay. So the phone needs to allow that.
    - I only use the phone's camera for casual snaps when I don't have my "real" camera with me.
    - Each year I buy 365 days and however many minutes comes with them (1800?). I've been on triple minutes for years. I've got nearly 4 gigs of data and 7800 minutes in my account. Don't want to lose them.
    - These days convenience and lack of hassle is more important than a few dollars. I'm adept technically, but I'd rather not jump through too many hoops.

Suggestions and advice welcome. Thanks!

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    It hasn't been officially announced/introduced by Apple yet but it is speculated that in February that Apple will be announcing the Apple iPhone SE 2 (as it is nicknamed) at a much lower price than the current lineup of iPhones. You could do an internet search to learn more in the rumor mill.
    Last edited by veriztd; 01-15-2020 at 11:35 AM.
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    I believe the iPhone SE/iPhone 6 is the oldest phone that is volte capable. I bought a "factory unlocked" iPhone 6 a year ago and have been very happy with it. Came new in a sealed apple box with all the goodies.
    I can BYOP sim swap with no hassles from Tracfone as the sim is not tied to the phone. My feeling is the less in control they are-the better.

Sent from my SM-N910V using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BassClef View Post
    My Tracfone is on Verizon. I'm in the Seattle area. I just got the "you've gotta upgrade to a VoltE phone" text message. I'm using an iPhone 5 that I bought used in 2015, so I've gotten my money's worth. I understand I have some time, but I want to start thinking about it now.

So, am I better off buying a phone from Tracfone, or doing BYOP from another source? And is there any compelling reason to switch to Android? I know they offer more for the money, but I like iOS. Considerations:

- My needs are modest. I just use my mobile phone as a phone, and to look up things on the Internet when I'm not home. No gaming, no movies.
    - I also have an iPad. My wife has a ZTE Citrine 'Droid, which she uses only as a phone.
    - I have a small investment in iPhone apps. They would carry over to a new iPhone. Android, I would start over.
    - I travel internationally about once a year, and buy a local SIM where I stay. So the phone needs to allow that.
    - I only use the phone's camera for casual snaps when I don't have my "real" camera with me.
    - Each year I buy 365 days and however many minutes comes with them (1800?). I've been on triple minutes for years. I've got nearly 4 gigs of data and 7800 minutes in my account. Don't want to lose them.
    - These days convenience and lack of hassle is more important than a few dollars. I'm adept technically, but I'd rather not jump through too many hoops.

I know total wireless (tracfone) was selling the iPhone SE for $60 a while back and I got a refurb (was brand new) iPhone 6s for $60 around Christmas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Total-Wir...knWhjQBTWM9xc0

Here ya go. $99 for a 6s. It’s a good deal.

Feedback Score
    Each year I buy 365 days and however many minutes comes with them (1800?). I've been on triple minutes for years. I've got nearly 4 gigs of data and 7800 minutes in my account. Don't want to lose them.
    Sounds like you should stay with an iPhone. You can't use the SIM in the iPhone 5 in another phone, as the account/SIM is not VoLTE enabled. You need a new SIM and they don't make those with TMFL anymore. Sometimes TMFL will be carried over in a service transfer, but not always. This is usually when transferring from a Tracfone branded phone, but you have a BYOP.

Your talk bucket is very high, and I would caution you to not add any more.

Device(s)
    Pixel 3aXL, LG G3, Moto G7 Power/E4/Z3/G6 Play
    Carrier(s)
    H2O, TMO, Xfinity, PagePlus, TracFone, RedPkt
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Parker5011 View Post
    I know total wireless (tracfone) was selling the iPhone SE for $60 a while back and I got a refurb (was brand new) iPhone 6s for $60 around Christmas.
    The OP said the phone would also be used with foreign travel. A phone from one of the TracFone companies could not be unlocked for a year.

Feedback Score

swappa.com

They have unlocked used phones. They check the imei to make sure they aren’t blacklisted or stolen. They have an unlocked section. I’d start there.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mframe View Post
    The OP said the phone would also be used with foreign travel. A phone from one of the TracFone companies could not be unlocked for a year.
    Good point. The branded Android phones are SIM locked to the TF companies, but are iPhones?.

Device(s)
    LG V35, V20, iPhone SE, Moto E4, Galaxy Go Prime, Galaxy J3 Sky
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    a cheap (yet still smooth/competent) SE or 6S would serve you well for awhile

Device(s)
    Samsung S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Parker5011 View Post
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Total-Wir...knWhjQBTWM9xc0

Here ya go. $99 for a 6s. It’s a good deal.

The question is whether or not the Tracfone iPhone 6s is unlocked so it could be used internationally. It's not really a subsidized phone so it might be, but there is no way of knowing in advance. I bought a Samsung flagship from Total Wireless and was not locked. I thought I'd have to wait a year to unlock it for international use with a foreign SIM but that was not the case.

Of course the poster could continue to use his or her iPhone 5 when traveling while waiting for the lock period on the iPhone 6s or 6s Plus to expire.
    Last edited by CanadianAngela; 01-16-2020 at 09:21 AM.