Thread: Autopay rules

Device(s)
    treo 700p
    Carrier(s)
    pageplus
    Feedback Score

Autopay rules

I had a really weird situation today and hoping someone can educate me on how autopay works.

I had a $70 balance on the account (I added prepaid cards I bought at Target) and 2 lines on the $45/30d plan. I also have a card on file at att.com/myprepaid for autopay and 'autopay' is turned on.

The plan was supposed to renew last night but this AM the lines stopped working. I called CS and got the weirdest answer. According to the agent it didn't renew because I did not have $90 in the account. When I confirmed if the card was there AND why it didn't charge the card - she told me that it always tries the balance if it exists.

So does this mean I should always have >$70 added through prepaid refills for it to withdraw from the account?

Or, if I add refills it will always draw $90 and not give me the autopay discount?

I had to pay an additional $20+tax for it to go through today and turn service back on.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S, Moto e, Lumia 635, Moto G 2nd
    Carrier(s)
    GoPhone x3, PPCx2, TMo2Go, TracfoneX3, H20, Tello
    Feedback Score
    That's weird. It should have deducted the $70 automatically as there was enough balance to cover the monthly charge.
    Was this the first time where both the Multiline disscount and the autopay discount were supposed to be in effect for you?

When there is no balance, the credit card in your file gets charged, it usually happens two days before the end of monthly cycle. Was there a credit card on file before?

Go check your account online (primary line) and from the home page go to "Balance and Details" (link under the big
    "Payment Due" number - it should be $70.00 now "Due" in 30 days-). That will take you to the summary of monthly charges. Verify from there that the "Total Plan amount" is $80 ($45+$45-$10 Multiline dsct), not $90. Below that, it should show the "AutoPay Discount = -$10", so you should see "Total Charges = $70. If any of these don't show in your case, you probably are not being given all the discounts.

If you are being given all the discounts, you don't need to have more than $70 on balance at any time. Making sure you have at least $70 balance 2 or 3 days before the end of cycle should be enough and your credit card shouldn't get charged.

Device(s)
    treo 700p
    Carrier(s)
    pageplus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jairzinho View Post
    ...Go check your account online (primary line) and from the home page go to "Balance and Details" (link under the big
    "Payment Due" number - it should be $70.00 now "Due" in 30 days-). That will take you to the summary of monthly charges. Verify from there that the "Total Plan amount" is $80 ($45+$45-$10 Multiline dsct), not $90. Below that, it should show the "AutoPay Discount = -$10", so you should see "Total Charges = $70. If any of these don't show in your case, you probably are not being given all the discounts.

If you are being given all the discounts, you don't need to have more than $70 on balance at any time. Making sure you have at least $70 balance 2 or 3 days before the end of cycle should be enough and your credit card shouldn't get charged.
    So it shows $70 due on 2/12/20. The link below it leads to the page which shows "Total Plan Amount: $90" and shows the Autopay discount of $20 below it. Somebody on Reddit said that this is a recent change and I need to have around $60 as balance and then it will take $10 from the card.

I'm also thinking that it failed yesterday because it was looking for $70 + the tax (even though it would not charge the tax).

Here's what the autopay terms state"...Account holders on a monthly plan will be charged on the AutoPay due date the amount of the plan plus the cost of any recurring Add-Ons or other charges to the account and any applicable taxes and fees based on account holder's billing address, minus any existing balance on the AT&T PREPAID account, any discounts applicable to the plan, including the AutoPay discount, and any promotional credits or other offers."

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S, Moto e, Lumia 635, Moto G 2nd
    Carrier(s)
    GoPhone x3, PPCx2, TMo2Go, TracfoneX3, H20, Tello
    Feedback Score
    I may be missing something.

The $45 (6GB) plan just gives $5 discount per line in Autopay for a charge of $40/mo. Two lines in that plan should give only $10 discount for AutoPay, not $20.

Also, for some reason you seem to be missing the Multi-line discount of $10 for your second line (is setup a a multi-line account, right? i.e. it shows the "member line" tab scrolling down in the Home page) and that should be reflected in the "Total Plan Amount" (as $80 for you, not $90). Yet you receive a $20 total discount.

Anyway, if you have $70 balance two or three days before the next due date, you card will not be charged (it will get "pinged" -temporary $0.01- just to validate it though), and no additional tax charges will be included. The amount will be deducted from your balance instead.

Feedback Score
    Are you sure your card on file is active/not expired? The same thing happened to me and this was the reason: https://howardforums.com/showthread....8#post16965338

Feedback Score
    I had a similar experience where I was using CallingMart to always deposit my $40 well in advance of the due date, but when my card expired, my service was turned off even though there was $40 in the account (which they deducted but then turned my service off anyway!). At least I know that this can happen to anyone...