Thread: Activating Android without home internet

Feedback Score

Activating Android without home internet

I have a friend with an old lg100 on the Verizon TF side. He didnít listen to me about getting a basic flip phone and ordered a TF Android to transition to. He just has phone and text service and no home isp and wonít be using cell data. Will he be able to initialize and activate this phone without an internet hookup to get it all setup? Thanks!

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kingc View Post
    He just has phone and text service and no home isp and won’t be using cell data. Will he be able to initialize and activate this phone without an internet hookup to get it all setup?
    I don't know what you meant by "won't be using cell data". All smartphones using Tracfone service use the 3-bucket talk/text/data system. Unless TF changed their policy recently, when you transfer service from a "dumb" phone (that uses the single-bucket system) to a smartphone, the number of minutes in the dumb phone gets put into EACH bucket on the smartphone. For example: 125 minutes on the dumb phone will become 125 talk minutes/125 text/125 MB on the smartphone.

I've never used data to set up an Android phone, but logically I don't see why it can't be done. The set up process just needs online access to create/sign in to the Google account.

The smartphone can be activated with TF first, by calling TF from another phone. Once it's activated and the 3 buckets are populated with the dumb phone's balance, then Data can be used to set up the Google account.

Feedback Score
    Pretty hard to not use any data on a smartphone. The basic phones also used data for some things (browsers, email, etc.), but it was charged in another way that was hidden. Most users upgrading from a basic phone found the apps addicting. You can choose to not set up a Google account and not turn on cellular data, which may limit app usage.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Cell phone activation is done through the cellular network and not through Wifi.
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Feedback Score
    I'm not familiar with the Tracfone billing scheme. All I knew was that he had a dumbphone with hundreds of stored minutes on it that needed to be replaced. He was convinced by customer care that the Samsung Crown was some smartphone wonder, so he ordered one up. I was just concerned about his initial setup of the device, perhaps requiring home internet, which he does not have. As to how he'll accrue data usage, etc., I guess he will find out. He's 91years old.

Thanks for the info!

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    He's 91years old.!
    My mother-in-law was 105 when she passed away a few years ago, and she was still using a smartphone for Skyping with her great-grandkids until a few months before that. But most likely your friend will need some help setting up his smartphone.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    My mother-in-law was 105 when she passed away a few years ago, and she was still using a smartphone for Skyping with her great-grandkids until a few months before that. But most likely your friend will need some help setting up his smartphone.
    Yeah Iíll try to help him as much as I can. Heís very stubborn and itís difficult to gain his favor. Iíve been repeatedly telling him about the need to change his phone because of the VZ technology shift. Have shown him a couple of dumb phones he could go to, but he was persuaded to order up a smartphone. Iím pretty sure it will be his mistake, and will end up going back In lieu of the flip.

We shall see. One thing for sure, one day, weíll all get to that point.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Yeah Iíll try to help him as much as I can. Heís very stubborn and itís difficult to gain his favor. Iíve been repeatedly telling him about the need to change his phone because of the VZ technology shift. Have shown him a couple of dumb phones he could go to, but he was persuaded to order up a smartphone. Iím pretty sure it will be his mistake, and will end up going back In lieu of the flip.

We shall see. One thing for sure, one day, weíll all get to that point.
    Yes, help him if you can.

My parents are both 84 and are each using an iPhone Se with no trouble. I was surprised that my mom was able to adapt after using the same LG Octane VN530 for 9 years prior to switching. I do know she wouldn't have been able to set up the iPhone without my dad's help. If it ever gets to the point where he can't figure things out, it will be time for me to step in to help.

Feedback Score

Well, he is going to return the phone and get a Doro 7050 flip. Iíve seen that phone on Consumer Cellular, and its ear audio can be adjusted for good loudness. I told him he can use his deactivated phone on 911 until he can get his line going again.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Well, he is going to return the phone and get a Doro 7050 flip. Iíve seen that phone on Consumer Cellular, and its ear audio can be adjusted for good loudness. I told him he can use his deactivated phone on 911 until he can get his line going again.

You must transfer service to the Doro before returning the smartphone, as a return will de-activate the Smartphone and lose the airtime and phone number. The Doro uses the same bucket system as a Smartphone so you will lose no airtime, such as when going back to a dumbphone (three bucket Smartphone back to a one bucket dumbphone).