Thread: unlocked device stays unlocked after activation of service or no

Feedback Score

unlocked device stays unlocked after activation of service or no

If start with an unlocked device, and then activate some cellular service, is the device still unlocked or has it now become locked to the activated service provider?

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Just curious, which manufacturer/model of phone ? If you buy directly from the manufacturer it should remain unlocked.
    Just another day in paradise.....

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by veriztd View Post
    Just curious, which manufacturer/model of phone ? If you buy directly from the manufacturer it should remain unlocked.
    I was still am not sure how to think of the question.
    Android smartphone! Any manufacturer and any model of the device, but for example, NEW at the store in the box. Labeling would say, "unlocked".

Now, if the question remains, "which manufacturer and model number of phone"? then this is filled with very disturbing fair trade & regulatory problems.

Picture this: Consumer goes through some online company of cell phones and cell service and buy one of their listed UNLOCKED phones, and as the website of this company says and as chat sessions reaffirm, all the devices they sell are unlocked. Now let us move on, that the user buys one of these unlocked phones, and ALSO purchases some airtime MINUTES of Talk & Text and some DATA. Now, once the phone is activated, user gets a number, and activates his service, IS THE PHONE STILL LOCKED, OR HAS IT NOW BECOME LOCKED? Does the manufacturer/model really matter for this?

Better example maybe still not the best:
    I go the the store and find and buy Motorola Moto E4. I go through one of the many online m.v.n.o. and activate the phone buy a number line, buy and activate some airtime for talk & text and data, and the phone works. So now is the phone still unlocked, or is it now become locked?

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Your question is a bit complex so forgive me if you don't feel this answers your question fully.

If you are bringing an unlocked phone I don't think the phone will be re locked by activating it. That question is best answered by the provider directly.

If you know the make/model of the phone I suggest you confirm it is compatible with your cellular provider (data/voice frequencies).

Never assume all unlocked phones will automatically work. About 4 years ago, I was given an LG G4 phone that was from Europe. Verizon would not allow me to activate it even though they sold the same phone branded to Verizon. The issue was the phone was not fully compatible with their network in the US.

Please don't be defensive if I or anyone else asks for additional information. This site is here to help and I am not asking you for personal information. Some things are difficult to help with unless more information is provided. Have a good day.

Now, if the question remains, "which manufacturer and model number of phone"? then this is filled with very disturbing fair trade & regulatory problems.
    That statement does not apply as the carrier has the option of not activating the phone if the needed information is not provided. This has nothing to do with free trade and regulations.
    Last edited by Serial Port; 01-15-2020 at 03:12 PM.

Feedback Score
    veriztd, I gues I am struggling to understand the meaning of locked and unlocked smartphones. Not so much my trying to be defensive - I just do not yet have a new or newly obtained smartphone device so I have no specific brand manufacterer or model number. I am sometimes trying to make a list of a few. I'd likely favor LG and Motorola but then I do not easily remember the model numbers, since becomes confusing without looking at the list I make.

Your post helps. Your bolded statements seem clear enough.

Feedback Score
    unlocked handset should reman unlocked forever. the exception may be iPhones stocked at big box stores that were not intended to be sold as unlocked devices but rather a single SKU of inventory that could be sold with any carrier's discount program, they would than be locked to the carrier they were sold with.

i may be mistaken but believe the only case where these particular iPhone model would be sold as unlocked is if they had been stolen out of the warehouse of one of the big box stores.

the other situation i have seen are iPhones that had been fraudulently unlocked(perhaps by carrier employees or hacking penetrating the unlocking portal of carrier. these may be re-locked after the fraud is detected. i have seen this with second hand iPhone's originally sold by sprint.

some carriers and/or MVNO's may also not allow you to float between brands with the same handset, this would not mean the phone is no longer unlocked though just that they refuse to activate it on another brand once you have activated on one. i believe this is intended to limit dealers attempting to move people around to continually earn activation commissions and tracfone brands have been know to implement this.

Feedback Score
    Part of post from robbyrobby:
    some carriers and/or MVNO's may also not allow you to float between brands with the same handset, this would not mean the phone is no longer unlocked though just that they refuse to activate it on another brand once you have activated on one. i believe this is intended to limit dealers attempting to move people around to continually earn activation commissions and tracfone brands have been know to implement this.
    Something I hope to do is, buy an unlocked android smartphone, and buy about three different virtual network carriers activations to test those carriers, ON THE SAME DEVICE. Like, try the GSM mvno_namedA for a few weeks, see how it works, see how I like it; and then try the GSM mvno_namedB for a feww weeks and see how it goes, and then try the GSM mvno_namedC for a few weeks or so, and see how I like _namedC carrier. All of these to be done on the same device. If device is bought as unlocked and suitable for GSM carriers, then those chosen mvno carriers should work as activated. (and post #4 still applies.)

(I was told that a device unlocked, and for GSM and 4G LTE would work on T-Mobile and AT&T networks.)

Feedback Score
    This part again from robbyrobby:
    Good warning to know about. That news is disappointing, because I do plan to buy one Android smartphone, and spend a few weeks on one mvno choice, a few weeks later on another mvno choice, and possibly yet a few weeks with still one more mvno choice. I have a list of about five of them which I may want to try.

Do you know that there are some reviewers of cell phone services who post reviews of these mvno services on YouTube? Some of these people/individuals have tried several different mvno carrier services before making and posting their YouTube reviews. These people could not have done those reviews if some mvno's refused to allow activations (unless these reviewers actually used multiple devices so each carrier was activated on a different device each; messy.)