Thread: Problems in signing up

Feedback Score

Problems in signing up

I'm planning on switching from AT&T Prepaid to T-mobile on my unlocked Pixel 3a phone, which certainly is compatible with their network. I wasn't impressed with the competence of the local T-mobile store so decided to do the change online (that worked very well back when I switched to Cricket at one time). But I'm not sure of the sequence of events that will occur. I need a SIM card sent to me and am porting my long-time number out of AT&T (I have all info required for that), but obviously I don't want the number to actually be ported over until I receive the SIM in the mail and am ready to activate it. Is this the way it will work if I complete my account setup online?

Another issue that makes me question things is that I tried to go through the setup partway to see if I could find out anything more, but when I went to verify the IMIE as being compatible, it keeps saying "Invalid IMEI or SIM", so I'm not sure what the heck is happening with that. I could skip the IMIE check, but then again I don't want anything going wrong that could cause loss of my number.

Maybe I should just look for another store?

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Either go to another store or have an online chat with a representative.
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Feedback Score
    Went to a different, much more professional-looking store and got it done in about 15 minutes.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Glad to hear the second store was able to resolve your issue.

Device(s)
    Any Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rochrunner View Post
    I'm planning on switching from AT&T Prepaid to T-mobile on my unlocked Pixel 3a phone, which certainly is compatible with their network. I wasn't impressed with the competence of the local T-mobile store so decided to do the change online (that worked very well back when I switched to Cricket at one time). But I'm not sure of the sequence of events that will occur. I need a SIM card sent to me and am porting my long-time number out of AT&T (I have all info required for that), but obviously I don't want the number to actually be ported over until I receive the SIM in the mail and am ready to activate it. Is this the way it will work if I complete my account setup online?

Another issue that makes me question things is that I tried to go through the setup partway to see if I could find out anything more, but when I went to verify the IMIE as being compatible, it keeps saying "Invalid IMEI or SIM", so I'm not sure what the heck is happening with that. I could skip the IMIE check, but then again I don't want anything going wrong that could cause loss of my number.

Maybe I should just look for another store?
    Don't sweat the IMEI checker- the 3A is 100% compatible- my wife is talking on her 3A right now!

You might just skip the porting questions when setting the account up online, and just port after you set up the new T-Mo account. Get assigned a random phone number (that you won't be keeping anyway) then after the new account is activated and working, call customer service and begin the port then.

Forward the (AT&T) number you're keeping to the new temporary (T-Mo-assigned) number, so the calls will go to the new SIM. Once the port is complete the forwarding dies with the AT&T account. (You might miss some texts prior to the port, so alternatively you could stick the AT&T SIM in an old phone and carry two phones around until the port is complete.)

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    --
    Todd Allcock, Microsoft MVP: Mobile Devices 2007-2011