Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Kick off AT&T iPad plan by the fraud department?

Feedback Score

Kick off AT&T iPad plan by the fraud department?

I was wondering if anyone else has ever signed up for the iPad plan, used it in a hotspot, burned through a ton of data, and actually gotten a call from the fraud department saying they won't turn the plan back on unless the SIM is put back in an ipad?

There's a few threads about the ease & success of using the ipad plan in a hotspot for rural internet here and the RV Mobile Internet websites forums. I started helping a few friends get setup with this plan around where I live. This one specific person burns through over a terabyte of data a month, in the middle of nowhere, and had her plan shut off. Now, I've seen that happen before (as in a SIM card going bad), but she couldn't swap the sim...so she called support, who reactivated her account. A day later, it was shut off again and that's when she got a call from the fraud department saying to put the SIM back in an iPad, or they wouldn't reactivate it again. I've helped about 10 people get this plan, it's been a few days, and she is (so far) the only person whose gotten ATTs attention like this.

Is AT&T starting to finally care about putting SIMS with data connect plans in hotspots , ir is this likely a result of one persons insane data usage in an area where there's more square miles of farmland than actual people, or do you think there's another explanation here? She's had the plan for almost a year now, so it's not like they saw crazy high usage on a new plan and cut it off right away or something.

Similarly, what are your thoughts on helping her sign up with a new account all over again? The last thing I want is for someone to get a nastygram legal letter saying stop, but her only other option I'm aware of would be back to satellite, or unlimited where it throttles instead of slowing down after barely any usage at all. The fact that she already got a call from the fraud department has her and I both worried though - we don't want to go from bad to worse.

Lastly, if anyone knows of a better way to get unlimited that can provide 20Mbps down on average (de-prioritization is fine, throttling would not be though, I'm all ears. Cost doesn't matter much, and as you can tell we're okay with falling into a gray area of "this isn't what we intended you to use it for" as long as it's not truly an act of fraud or likely to annoy someone enough to get a "stop and don't ever try this again" kind of letter.

Mainly though, I am interested in if anyone has had this kind of issue before, what they did about it, or again, if trying to sign back up with a new account would risk going from "angry phone call" to "threatening letter" from the powers that be.

Thanks for any advice!

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max (personal), iPhone XS Max (work)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, FirstNet
    Feedback Score
    A terabyte? On a plan that's intended for a tablet? No wonder they got caught...

Never had this issue, but it's not surprising that AT&T's cracking down on fraud. After all, people that engage in fraud simply make things difficult for the rest of us that follow the rules.

I would suggest not using a service in a way that violates the terms of the plan.

Feedback Score
    visible gives you unlimited hotspot...i have the sim in a verizon iphone 6 and get more than 20mbps..on visible ZTE phone i get 4-5 mbps

Device(s)
    iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    Starting to think they all suck
    Feedback Score
    This is on the prepaid unlimited plan or is it postpaid?

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score

Kick Off AT&T iPad Plan By The Fraud Department?

Quote Originally Posted by PaulD63 View Post
    visible gives you unlimited hotspot...i have the sim in a verizon iphone 6 and get more than 20mbps..on visible ZTE phone i get 4-5 mbps
    That is great to know!

Carrier(s)
    VZW & ATT
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Glassweaver View Post
    I was wondering if anyone else has ever signed up for the iPad plan, used it in a hotspot, burned through a ton of data, and actually gotten a call from the fraud department saying they won't turn the plan back on unless the SIM is put back in an ipad?

There's a few threads about the ease & success of using the ipad plan in a hotspot for rural internet here and the RV Mobile Internet websites forums. I started helping a few friends get setup with this plan around where I live. This one specific person burns through over a terabyte of data a month, in the middle of nowhere, and had her plan shut off. Now, I've seen that happen before (as in a SIM card going bad), but she couldn't swap the sim...so she called support, who reactivated her account. A day later, it was shut off again and that's when she got a call from the fraud department saying to put the SIM back in an iPad, or they wouldn't reactivate it again. I've helped about 10 people get this plan, it's been a few days, and she is (so far) the only person whose gotten ATTs attention like this.

Is AT&T starting to finally care about putting SIMS with data connect plans in hotspots , ir is this likely a result of one persons insane data usage in an area where there's more square miles of farmland than actual people, or do you think there's another explanation here? She's had the plan for almost a year now, so it's not like they saw crazy high usage on a new plan and cut it off right away or something.

Similarly, what are your thoughts on helping her sign up with a new account all over again? The last thing I want is for someone to get a nastygram legal letter saying stop, but her only other option I'm aware of would be back to satellite, or unlimited where it throttles instead of slowing down after barely any usage at all. The fact that she already got a call from the fraud department has her and I both worried though - we don't want to go from bad to worse.

Lastly, if anyone knows of a better way to get unlimited that can provide 20Mbps down on average (de-prioritization is fine, throttling would not be though, I'm all ears. Cost doesn't matter much, and as you can tell we're okay with falling into a gray area of "this isn't what we intended you to use it for" as long as it's not truly an act of fraud or likely to annoy someone enough to get a "stop and don't ever try this again" kind of letter.

Mainly though, I am interested in if anyone has had this kind of issue before, what they did about it, or again, if trying to sign back up with a new account would risk going from "angry phone call" to "threatening letter" from the powers that be.

Thanks for any advice!
    why not post in the existing ipad thread?

i'd say one terabyte is abuse and possibly ruining it for others. therefore your helping in effect you are possibly ruining it for others.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for all the advice guys.

PaulD63 - Visible looks good, but the 5Mbps on hotspots would be the dealbreaker. Their site says they limit it if it's not in a phone, sadly. I know ATT used to have a postpaid $100 +20 per device plan that Nighthawks could go on. Would love to know if that can still be obtained somehow.

Baaadandy - it's on prepaid. From looking at their site, it looks like they took away the ability to get truly unlimited (with deprioritization...not throttling) on hotspots via postpaid? I'll look harder tomorrow as that might be the only viable option.

tb_ yeah, you are definitely right, and I wouldn't have imagined that someone with a stinking hotspot would have even been able to blow through that kind of data. While I would have thought this would be a non-issue as it relates to others since she'd still be depriotized after 22 gigs (or in other words, like...6 hours...how in hell does an individual consumer use that much data that fast?!?!?!) ....I would completely understand if ATT just up & cancelled everyone using these outside of tablets someday. The fact that they haven't done this en-masse must be due to most people being more rational about their data usage in this regard, and it must still make them money. If she had a more respectable (if that's the right word) option, she'd take it in a heartbeat. Right now she's looking at moving (she's renting) if she can't get something fast enough for gaming though.

mysterym - I thought about it. I figured with the potential exploration of alternative options, isolating this specific issue seemed better. I didn't feel that talking about other carriers & providers for the potential solutions I'm looking for would have been good for that thread.

I think at the very least, I'll see if Visible actually has slightly higher speeds, or miraculously doesn't throttle if I put the SIM in a nighthawk. I fear that as an MVNO though, they have the greatest incentive to drop a customer like her in a hot second.

Continuing down this topic...does anyone have an opinion about trying to switch to the similar $40 per month unlimited connected device plan? You know, the one that's not specifically marketed for iPads? Or, does anyone remember when ATT had a plan where you paid a base $100 fee, and each device you added on was $20 with unlimited data? I know that plan existed a year ago and that you could put Nighthawks on it....I don't see a way to sign up for it on ATT postpaid, but if there is still a way, $140 a month for her cell phone and her internet would be a manageable cost. Certainly better than moving to a new place, as she is currently thinking about doing.
    Last edited by Glassweaver; 01-16-2020 at 01:34 AM.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Glassweaver View Post
    Thanks for all the advice guys.

PaulD63 - Visible looks good, but the 5Mbps on hotspots would be the dealbreaker. Their site says they limit it if it's not in a phone, sadly. I know ATT used to have a postpaid $100 +20 per device plan that Nighthawks could go on. Would love to know if that can still be obtained somehow.

Baaadandy - it's on prepaid. From looking at their site, it looks like they took away the ability to get truly unlimited (with deprioritization...not throttling) on hotspots via postpaid? I'll look harder tomorrow as that might be the only viable option.

tb_ yeah, you are definitely right, and I wouldn't have imagined that someone with a stinking hotspot would have even been able to blow through that kind of data. While I would have thought this would be a non-issue as it relates to others since she'd still be depriotized after 22 gigs (or in other words, like...6 hours...how in hell does an individual consumer use that much data that fast?!?!?!) ....I would completely understand if ATT just up & cancelled everyone using these outside of tablets someday. The fact that they haven't done this en-masse must be due to most people being more rational about their data usage in this regard, and it must still make them money. If she had a more respectable (if that's the right word) option, she'd take it in a heartbeat. Right now she's looking at moving (she's renting) if she can't get something fast enough for gaming though.

mysterym - I thought about it. I figured with the potential exploration of alternative options, isolating this specific issue seemed better. I didn't feel that talking about other carriers & providers for the potential solutions I'm looking for would have been good for that thread.

I think at the very least, I'll see if Visible actually has slightly higher speeds, or miraculously doesn't throttle if I put the SIM in a nighthawk. I fear that as an MVNO though, they have the greatest incentive to drop a customer like her in a hot second.

Continuing down this topic...does anyone have an opinion about trying to switch to the similar $40 per month unlimited connected device plan? You know, the one that's not specifically marketed for iPads? Or, does anyone remember when ATT had a plan where you paid a base $100 fee, and each device you added on was $20 with unlimited data? I know that plan existed a year ago and that you could put Nighthawks on it....I don't see a way to sign up for it on ATT postpaid, but if there is still a way, $140 a month for her cell phone and her internet would be a manageable cost. Certainly better than moving to a new place, as she is currently thinking about doing.

The AT&T Unlimited Plus data only lines are long gone now. They stopped offering them in Feb. or March of 2018. I remember because I picked up a couple of lines right before they were removed. Those and my Mobley lines have been awesome for myself and my family that live in rural areas. And since they don't throttle video like Verizon, they've been better for us than the old Verizon GUDP plans.

Feedback Score
    Ebay has this for 49.99 AT&T

ENTERPRISE PLUS+ UNLIMITED, UNTHROTTLED, TOP TIER, TOP PRIORITY 4G LTE + DATA PLAN FOR YOUR HOTSPOT. NOW UP TO 20% FASTER THEN MY STANDARD DATA

Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulD63 View Post
    Ebay has this for 49.99 AT&T

ENTERPRISE PLUS+ UNLIMITED, UNTHROTTLED, TOP TIER, TOP PRIORITY 4G LTE + DATA PLAN FOR YOUR HOTSPOT. NOW UP TO 20% FASTER THEN MY STANDARD DATA
    I think the seller is selling same iPad plan of $34.99

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Check ebay for aTT Unlimited plus grandfathered physical hotspot plans to rent Or the att wireless home phone and Internet plan rentalplan which will run their whole house because it has an ethernet port and a wap button

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Has it happened to anyone where the line was initially suspended and one somehow got AT&T to restore the line? After 2 weeks, AT&T canceled the line itself. Received same email as when one cancels the line effective immediately.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pfwarrior View Post
    Has it happened to anyone where the line was initially suspended and one somehow got AT&T to restore the line? After 2 weeks, AT&T canceled the line itself. Received same email as when one cancels the line effective immediately.
    So did this happen to you? I read a new post last night on Reddit about a guy saying the Fraud department shut him off for using 1.4TB.

Feedback Score
    All these people complaining are the people abusing the system. The terms and conditions are clear. If AT&T doesn’t file a civil lawsuit for financial fraud against those who broke terms of contract and/or file criminal proceedings, consider yourselves lucky. This thread should be closed.

Device(s)
    iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    Starting to think they all suck
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LTENetwork View Post
    All these people complaining are the people abusing the system. The terms and conditions are clear. If AT&T doesn’t file a civil lawsuit for financial fraud against those who broke terms of contract and/or file criminal proceedings, consider yourselves lucky. This thread should be closed.
    Lol abusing the system. I love the ones that defend corporate like it's their mom. How about the taxpayers sue scummy AT&T for taking massive tax breaks and promising job growth only to do massive layoffs of good paying jobs? And taking jobs away from AMERICANS only to then force those same Americans to train their FOREIGN replacements? I know the comeback already: "It's just business!" Well it's just business when people without reliable internet access take necessary measures to get themselves connected. That circles back around to more corporate welfare taken by companies like AT&T with the promise to deploy broadband to underserved areas, only to have said companies give a giant middle finger to the state and not only not apologize, but tell the state to shove it if those same politicians don't want to lose their campaign contributions.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using HoFo mobile app

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast