Thread: Microsoft and T-Mobile partner to offer connected laptops to schools

Device(s)
    Nokia 6610, Touch Pro II, Lumia 640, LG G7
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile (Since Omnipoint!)
    Feedback Score

Microsoft and T-Mobile partner to offer connected laptops to schools

https://mspoweruser.com/microsoft-an...t-u-s-schools/

Microsoft today announced a new partnership with T-Mobile to provide Windows 10 Connected PCs with T-Mobile provided SIM cards and free 4G LTE coverage plans for select U.S. school districts in rural/underserved areas. This new pilot program will start next month. Through this program, Microsoft and T-Mobile wants to learn how the Windows 10 devices with LTE improve the education quality and reduce the broadband gap. Microsoft is also partnering with Vodafone (and its subsidiary Vodacom in Africa) to offer education-specific mobile internet plans to customers using the new Windows 10 Connected PCs.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Keep in mind that if the merger is allowed to proceed, T-Mobile will inherit Sprint's contractual obligation to provide unlimited, low-cost, high-speed wireless Internet service to educational institutions, non-profits and the disadvantaged through mobilecitizen.org
    Donald Newcomb

Device(s)
    LG G7 (T-Mobile), iPhone 8 (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Microsoft needs to push Windows. On a desktop/laptop it's a dead product unless you're gaming. Chromebooks have dominated schools in the past few years.

Sent from my LM-G710 using HoFo mobile app
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Device(s)
    Samsung S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    It's amazing to see how quickly Windows 10 2-in-1 PCs with integrated LTE have become the new norm for business users. When I go to meetings now almost everyone is using a Surface Pro, Dell 7400, or HP Envy X2. I'm the odd person out with an iPad Pro, and I'm asking our IT department for an upgrade because it's really a pain to have one machine for meetings and one for in the office.

I wonder what devices Microsoft is offering. Is it their own Surface devices or someone elses?

The Chromebook has become the defacto computing devices for many school districts because it's much less costly than iPads.

Device(s)
    Any Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianAngela View Post
    It's amazing to see how quickly Windows 10 2-in-1 PCs with integrated LTE have become the new norm for business users. When I go to meetings now almost everyone is using a Surface Pro, Dell 7400, or HP Envy X2. I'm the odd person out with an iPad Pro, and I'm asking our IT department for an upgrade because it's really a pain to have one machine for meetings and one for in the office.

I wonder what devices Microsoft is offering. Is it their own Surface devices or someone elses?

The Chromebook has become the defacto computing devices for many school districts because it's much less costly than iPads.
    Yup. And therein lies the problem. It's great if Microsoft wants to play sugar daddy and give out a bunch of hardware, but Microsoft (like Google) has a long history of launching pilot programs and then pulling the plug when the program doesn't do what they want or need it to do (or when a new department head moves in and says "why the f--- are we funding this?")

So some schools will get a bunch of shiny new Surface Gos (I assume- that's the lower end ~$400 Surface) and a couple/three years of free cell service, and long before the next hardware upgrade cycle, the Microsoft Division of Educational Disruption (or whatever), will have been disbanded and the schools will be buying $200 Chromebooks again and connecting them to school WiFi.

I've been a Microsoft fanboy for a long time (with a junk drawer full of Pocket PCs, Handheld PCs, Windows Phones and Zunes to prove it!), and I hope this takes off. I'd much rather have kids learning how to use Word and Excel than "Docs" and "Sheets"...

(Probably because of my Microsoft fanboyism, my kids aren't big Chromebook fans. We were forced to buy a school issued one recently for my remaining high-schools aged daughter, and she only uses it when her Surface can't complete the task- when she's taking an online test, connected to a school server that filters non-school-issued devices.)

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    --
    Todd Allcock, Microsoft MVP: Mobile Devices 2007-2011

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score

That's interesting. Where I work, people have the option of Lenovo or Macbook Pro. Almost everyone ditched their Lenovo's once Macbook's were available for everyone. Most of the 2-in-1's are kinda useless for most tech shops, and Apple (MacOS at least) is a little more cloud friendly for development work. My last Lenovo, I wiped the OS to install RHEL in place of Windows for that reason.

Device(s)
    Samsung S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by elecconnec View Post
    I've been a Microsoft fanboy for a long time (with a junk drawer full of Pocket PCs, Handheld PCs, Windows Phones and Zunes to prove it!), and I hope this takes off. I'd much rather have kids learning how to use Word and Excel than "Docs" and "Sheets"...

(Probably because of my Microsoft fanboyism, my kids aren't big Chromebook fans. We were forced to buy a school issued one recently for my remaining high-schools aged daughter, and she only uses it when her Surface can't complete the task- when she's taking an online test, connected to a school server that filters non-school-issued devices.)
    A Zune, wow. I never knew anyone that bought a Zune. https://youtu.be/gW6u0PP7vro

I was in a meeting with Microsoft last week and of course all the Microsoft employees were using Surface Pros. We were discussing IOT and Azure, but they did mention Microsoft Office offhand and how it's still a very big seller to Mac users and in the corporate world to Windows users. I told them that my kids use Google Docs because they can use any device to edit their documents and because of not losing their work if their machine crashes.

I upgraded all the machines I use to Office Pro 2019. It's very inexpensive on eBay, and apparently those licenses are legal or Microsoft and eBay would not allow the sale of them, i.e. look at eBay item 352937083232 . But at work we have a corporate license and we're also just getting started with Microsoft Teams.

My next Windows machine will be a Surface Pro like device, but I want one with integrated 5G and at least a Core i7. My next scheduled upgrade won't be until 2021 so by then I should be able to get that by then. I use the active stylus on my laptop and on my iPad Pro a lot. I probably will not ever buy another laptop or tablet without an active stylus. That rules out any Macbooks.

Device(s)
    Samsung S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by formercanuck View Post
    That's interesting. Where I work, people have the option of Lenovo or Macbook Pro. Almost everyone ditched their Lenovo's once Macbook's were available for everyone. Most of the 2-in-1's are kinda useless for most tech shops, and Apple (MacOS at least) is a little more cloud friendly for development work. My last Lenovo, I wiped the OS to install RHEL in place of Windows for that reason.
    We have no Macs at work because so many of the applications that we run are Windows-only. CAD, GIS, video-editing, and many of these apps benefit from being able to use an active stylus, both of which rule out Macbooks. Well you can install Windows on a Macbook, but what's the point? Also, the only Macbook without the butterfly keyboard issues that is currently available is the Macbook Pro 16" model. If Apple comes out with a Macbook with Apple Pencil support then that might change things slightly. We're also big into Microsoft Azure, AWS, and Google Cloud development for IOT and all of these are more suited to Windows.

Feedback Score
    True. Outside of schools, PCs dominate, and aren't dead.

Feedback Score
    We have no Macs at work because so many of the applications that we run are Windows-only. CAD, GIS, video-editing, and many of these apps benefit from being able to use an active stylus, both of which rule out Macbooks. Well you can install Windows on a Macbook, but what's the point? Also, the only Macbook without the butterfly keyboard issues that is currently available is the Macbook Pro 16" model. If Apple comes out with a Macbook with Apple Pencil support then that might change things slightly. We're also big into Microsoft Azure, AWS, and Google Cloud development for IOT and all of these are more suited to Windows.
    If I had a Macbook, I'd probably install Windows first thing on it so I could actually do stuff on it. Hardly anything runs on Mac compared to Windows. But even then I'd be stuck with an out of date "last decade" laptop, with its anachronistic "dead screen" due to the lack of touch capability which happily dominates all but the cheapest junkiest Windows PCs (and ALL Macs).

We had one Mac in our shop out of many PCs. The Mac owner, once a die-hard Apple fanboy, eventually ditched it for a nice thin Dell.

Device(s)
    Samsung S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NotABiot View Post
    If I had a Macbook, I'd probably install Windows first thing on it so I could actually do stuff on it. Hardly anything runs on Mac compared to Windows. But even then I'd be stuck with an out of date "last decade" laptop, with its anachronistic "dead screen" due to the lack of touch capability which happily dominates all but the cheapest junkiest Windows PCs (and ALL Macs).

We had one Mac in our shop out of many PCs. The Mac owner, once a die-hard Apple fanboy, eventually ditched it for a nice thin Dell.
    Pretty sure that the reason that Apple is not doing touch-screen or Apple Pencil Macbooks is that they are concerned that doing so would hurt iPad sales. A 2 in 1 Macbook would not be a wise move in terms of revenue and profit; even though it might cause an increase in Mac sales this would likely be offset by a decrease in iPad sales. Windows PC makers don't have this concern.

"While the PC market has displayed high levels of innovation in recent quarters, driven in part by Microsoft and the Surface line, Apple allowed the Mac line up to become stagnant."

I have an iPad Pro LTE from work and the one thing I really use on it a lot is the navigation programs, especially Waze which is one of the best crowd-sourced apps of all time. Windows doesn't run such programs and Microsoft dropped their Streets and Trips product. I like the larger screen for navigation when traveling by car. However with the larger phones there's less of a need for the iPad now.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    That would make sense - many legacy style business apps are Windows based. Macbooks typically have, by default crappy video processors. I do install RedHat OS on Mac (I actually replaced base OS on Lenovo when I had it with RH OS). Corp has images for both Windows 10 and RH OS 7 with all necessary apps. Macbooks come preloaded as well.
    We're big into cloud development, and the majority is Linux based (python / Salt / NginX / Terraform ), and those that do have Windows end up installing Cygwin-X.

I will have to wait until ~2023 for my next replacement. Who knows what will exist by then. For home, I might get a gaming laptop with i7/i9 and at least 32GB. Replicating infrastructure on computer takes a lot of RAM.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score

I don't mind using Windows - but the eye candy gets annoying. Much of the development coder stuff is based on cloud based apps / APIs. I'd typically prefer using Linux based OS over either Windows or Mac. Fortunately, Mac is much more cloud friendly on the development end than Windows is. Apps are easier to run from *nix based (including Docker/Virtualbox). Mac just typically sucks on its hardware.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    True. Outside of schools, PCs dominate, and aren't dead.
    Yeah - many (most) businesses run Windows for its management, and more importantly Office. Hardware choice (cost!) and relative ease of management makes it a no brainer. I was always able to get a top end office laptop when I was working at HP. Most cloud based infra... was not Windows though.

Device(s)
    Samsung S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    That would make sense - many legacy style business apps are Windows based. Macbooks typically have, by default crappy video processors. I do install RedHat OS on Mac (I actually replaced base OS on Lenovo when I had it with RH OS). Corp has images for both Windows 10 and RH OS 7 with all necessary apps. Macbooks come preloaded as well.
    We're big into cloud development, and the majority is Linux based (python / Salt / NginX / Terraform ), and those that do have Windows end up installing Cygwin-X.

I will have to wait until ~2023 for my next replacement. Who knows what will exist by then. For home, I might get a gaming laptop with i7/i9 and at least 32GB. Replicating infrastructure on computer takes a lot of RAM.
    It's not just "legacy style" apps. It's almost all the engineering applications that we use. They don't do OS-X versions or Linux versions. Sure you can run a Virtual Machine or Bootcamp to get Windows on a Mac, but the Mac hardware is also less fully featured.

The high-end Windows 2 in 1 machines can easily cost more than a Macbook, but they are much more functional with a pen, touch screen, integrated LTE modem, HDMI and USB-A ports. No need for a bagful of dongles or for a separate hotspot or for tethering to a phone.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast