Thread: Fixing "Cannot Connect to Data Network"...?

Feedback Score

Fixing "Cannot Connect to Data Network"...?

Hi -

It seems every time an Autofill happens to my iPhone SE BYOP (every 90 days), I lose data network connectivity ("Cannot Connect to Data Network"). Voice and texts work ok, but no data.

--- * A little whining here...you can skip this to the meat of the post below, if you wish...*

Then comes a call to Tracfone tech support which requires going through their 1st tier of support scripted items (resetting the phone, check IMEI, Sim numbers, etc.) before they can escalate me to the 2nd tier. This usually takes over an hour...they have to go though their scripts line-by-line before I can get to a knowledgeable support person.

Last night I spent TWO AND A HALF HOURS on the support line. I was cut off once so I had to go through the whole Tier 1 sequence again. Sigh.

Finally the Tier 2 guy said he couldn't fix the phone. He told me to buy a different one or take it to Apple for help. As if that would work

--- * End whining...*

The last thing the support guy tried to do was to update the APN. There was no Tracfone Configuration Profile on the iPhone to set the APN (which he didn't believe) but he finally had me enter into my browser: "apnuqdatevzw.tracfone.com", using WiFi.

Safari couldn't reach the site ("Server cannot be found".) Same thing with my laptop, so it's clear that server is not there or he gave me the wrong url.

Anyway, that's when he gave up and told me to get a new phone.

So I searched these wonderful Howard Forums and found a different url to update my APN, from a 2015 post: "ivzwinternet.tracfone.com"

I tried this and it fixed everything...in maybe 5 minutes total! THANK YOU Howard Forums!

Finally, my question:

I now have a Configuration Profile called "VZWMPN", for VZWINTERNET. When I inspect the details, it says the signing certificate "Expired: March 4, 2017".

Even though I'm up and running, is there a better procedure for me to update/reinstall this profile next time my cellular data breaks? In other words, is there a way to install a profile with a signing certificate that's not expired?

Sorry for the long post...I just want to know how to do this correctly without having to go through the TracFone support gauntlet next time.

Thanks...

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by chicodaman View Post
    Hi -

It seems every time an Autofill happens to my iPhone SE BYOP (every 90 days), I lose data network connectivity ("Cannot Connect to Data Network")...
    What does "every time an Autofill happens to my iPhone SE BYOP (every 90 days)" mean?

Feedback Score
    I now have a Configuration Profile called "VZWMPN", for VZWINTERNET. When I inspect the details, it says the signing certificate "Expired: March 4, 2017".

Even though I'm up and running, is there a better procedure for me to update/reinstall this profile next time my cellular data breaks? In other words, is there a way to install a profile with a signing certificate that's not expired?
    Did you try the Tracfone APN utility? Not sure how useful it is for an iPhone, with their Configuration Profiles being different than Android APNs. https://www.tracfone.com/apn

As far as Tracfone CS, they need to be better trained in the particularities of the iPhone with so many users. Maybe too much to expect, as they can't even handle VoLTE or Visual Voicemail.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    What does "every time an Autofill happens to my iPhone SE BYOP (every 90 days)" mean?
    Sorry, trying to keep the post short so didn't give much detail on that.

About a year ago I signed up for Autofill....which is what Tracfone calls their auto-renew process. I pay $35 every 90 days. It happens automatically.

But...each time the Autofill happens, I lose data connectivity. Apparently my configuration profile gets deleted in the process somehow. Each time I've spent over an hour with Tracfone support to fix it, and each time they are clueless until I finally get to someone who knows what to do.

This time around I spent 2 1/2 hours with them, never got to someone who knew what to do, and they finally gave up, as I detailed in my post above.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    Did you try the Tracfone APN utility? Not sure how useful it is for an iPhone, with their Configuration Profiles being different than Android APNs. https://www.tracfone.com/apn
    That's Text "APN" to 611611.

Yes, my tech support person had me do that, what? Maybe 10 times? With a reboot each time. Text "APN" to 611611.

Didn't fix it. Maybe because it's an iPhone?

What worked was what I found here on the Howard Forums, http:// ivzwinternet.tracfone.com. That downloads a new profile and after installing and rebooting there's a new iPhone settings menu item, "DOWNLOADED PROFILE".

Tracfone tech support never told me about that.

I was wondering if there was a better, or more recent, way to do what that did. The post where I found that info was from 2015, and the resulting certificate expired in 2017. BUT...it works...

Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    As far as Tracfone CS, they need to be better trained in the particularities of the iPhone with so many users. Maybe too much to expect, as they can't even handle VoLTE or Visual Voicemail.
    They are unfailingly polite but are working off a script and won't deviate an inch, even when you tell them that this problem was previously fixed by a new APN configuration. So it takes forever...and costs them $$$, and makes the customer very frustrated....

Feedback Score
    Yes, my tech support person had me do that, what? Maybe 10 times? With a reboot each time. Text "APN" to 611611.

Didn't fix it. Maybe because it's an iPhone?
    No, the TF website APN updater can accept a phone number, IMEI number, or SIM number.