Thread: BYOD VoLTE phones for Cricket Wireless ?

Feedback Score

BYOD VoLTE phones for Cricket Wireless ?

Which BYOD (non-Cricket branded) phones are capable of using VoLTE on Cricket Wireless ? - Thanks

Device(s)
    Qualcomm iPhone X 256 GB Space Grey
    Carrier(s)
    Visible
    Feedback Score

BYOD VoLTE phones for Cricket Wireless ?

I know iPhones are but not sure about androids. I can’t believe AT&T still doesn’t have full support for VoLTE for all VoLTE capable devices. It’s 2020 now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    iPhone 7+ on the Verizon Network
    iPad Pro 9.7 on the AT&T Network

Feedback Score
    Modern iPhones, yes. Android phones, don't count on it. Although, *maybe* modern Samsung. Eh. I doubt that, too.

I've heard that if you put a working AT&T SIM card, taken from an AT&T phone, into a BYOD device and turn it on, the AT&T network will then decide you're OK to have VoLTE. And then when you remove it, the AT&T network is still OK with your device. The SIM card from the AT&T phone "blesses" your BYOD phone on the network, if you will.

Don't know if that's still a thing, but it used to be. The Blackberry forums were all over this years ago when the keyONE came out.

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I had to have cricket add the imei of an iphone 8 to my profile to get volte working on a oneplus 7t. Didn't actually have the iphone in hand to test out the sim swap theory. A month later, volte still working.

Feedback Score
    Without screwing around only iPhones. Some Android phones if you want to jump through hoops with mixed results.

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    An update to my post above. Today I used the sim in another device. Afterwards, I put it back into the 7t but decided to try it in sim2 slot rather than sim1. Note, each slot has a unique imei. Volte continued working even in slot 2.

Device(s)
    Oneplus One
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GPz1100 View Post
    I had to have cricket add the imei of an iphone 8 to my profile to get volte working on a oneplus 7t. Didn't actually have the iphone in hand to test out the sim swap theory. A month later, volte still working.
    How do you know VoLTE is working on your phone? On my phone I have VoLTE as well as wifi calling both turned on in Settings. However, I have no idea if they are working.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11, iPhone SE, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Boom Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by emily1995 View Post
    How do you know VoLTE is working on your phone? On my phone I have VoLTE as well as wifi calling both turned on in Settings. However, I have no idea if they are working.
    Turn off Wi-Fi. Make a phone call. If it remains on LTE you have VoLTE. If it drops to 3G/4G, no.

Turn on airplane mode. Turn on Wi-Fi. Attempt to make a call. If it succeeds (especially if it says something like Wi-Fi calling in the top area, phone dependent), you have Wi-Fi calling.
    iPhone 11 is my current primary phone. But I have more phones than lines. Back to only Prepaid with the changes in the economy.

Device(s)
    Oneplus One
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kevink1 View Post
    Turn off Wi-Fi. Make a phone call. If it remains on LTE you have VoLTE. If it drops to 3G/4G, no.

Turn on airplane mode. Turn on Wi-Fi. Attempt to make a call. If it succeeds (especially if it says something like Wi-Fi calling in the top area, phone dependent), you have Wi-Fi calling.
    Thank you.

I found that I do not have wifi calling or VoLTE even though my phone has both turned on. What a nuisance created by Cricket!

Feedback Score
    Cricket restricts VoLTE. AT&T won't let BYOD Android devices have WiFi Calling. This apply to AT&T postpaid, prepaid and all MVNO's.
    Quote Originally Posted by emily1995 View Post
    Thank you.

I found that I do not have wifi calling or VoLTE even though my phone has both turned on. What a nuisance created by Cricket!
    Sent from my SM-T720 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I mentioned this elsewhere. I recently swapped the cricket sim to the 2nd sim slot on the oneplus 7t. For those not in the know, devices wil multiple sim slots have multiple imei's. For the this other slot I didn't have to contact cricket to enable volte. Perhaps the feature remains enabled once enabled on the sim itself.