Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Moto E5 Dialer and Texting apps

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    161
    Feedback Score
    0

    Moto E5 Dialer and Texting apps

    Does anyone else dislike the native dialer app and the native texting app on the Moto E5?

    I find the dialer on the E5 looks too much like the Google Voice dialer (which I suppose is to be expected), and I just don't like it. Don't like the native texting app either.

    (I do like my Moto E5 overall though, especially because it was just 30 bucks - and includes 1500 t/t/d.) By contrast, my previous HSN bundle was the J3 Luna Pro a couple years ago for a hefty 70 or 80 bucks!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    California Gold Country
    Posts
    6,922
    Feedback Score
    0
    Looking at the icons on a E5 screen picture, the dialer and messaging apps look like the Google ones. Common to Motos, and came on my G5 Plus.

    Do you have a separate voicemail app? If not, the Visual Voicemail is accessed in the dialer. Here is what mine looks like.

    Name:  5406c792-Screenshot_20181112_162616.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  18.9 KB

    I don't like the Google dialer much either, but it is essential to the VVM functioning. Don't think it can be changed anyway.

    You can use any messaging app you want. There is a feature in the Google app called "Messages for web" that I like a lot. Allows you to use a computer to access the phone messaging system through the cell network or WiFi.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    100
    Feedback Score
    0
    Just activated an e5, on my 1st attempt to call VM, I see it immediately displays a keypad FULL SCREEN when the PW request sounds, making it virtually impossible to turn on the speaker. PITA.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    161
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    Looking at the icons on a E5 screen picture, the dialer and messaging apps look like the Google ones. Common to Motos, and came on my G5 Plus.
    Do you have a separate voicemail app? If not, the Visual Voicemail is accessed in the dialer. Here is what mine looks like.
    Now this is strange -- the Dialer on my E5 doesn't look like that. There's no blue band anywhere on my dialer. Mine is all-white on the entire screen. The only blue is the little keypad icon. And the letters for the "create new contact" etc are in blue. The rest is all white. Also, the icons for voicemail etc are at the bottom, not at the top. (BTW I don't use Visual Voicemail). So do I have a different dialer on my E5? Maybe an "upgraded" dialer?


    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    You can use any messaging app you want. There is a feature in the Google app called "Messages for web" that I like a lot. Allows you to use a computer to access the phone messaging system through the cell network or WiFi.
    Question about one of the settings in the native messaging app - there's this "Enable chat features: Use wifi or data for messaging when available" setting that is turned on by default. Should I turn this off to conserve data? TIA.
    Last edited by jettable; 01-25-2020 at 07:41 PM. Reason: more details on how dialer is different

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    7,337
    Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by jettable View Post
    Now this is strange -- the Dialer on my E5 doesn't look like that.
    That's because loboheeler has a Moto G5 Plus, not an E5.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    California Gold Country
    Posts
    6,922
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by jettable View Post
    Question about one of the settings in the native messaging app - there's this "Enable chat features: Use wifi or data for messaging when available" setting that is turned on by default. Should I turn this off to conserve data? TIA.
    The Google Messages app has RCS Chat, which is the "Enable chat features" setting. It is a replacement for SMS/MMS messaging but not fully implemented yet. I got it to work as a test with someone who also had it enabled. it does not work on other messaging apps, so the access is limited. I have it turned on, and it seems to not use any background data.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    California Gold Country
    Posts
    6,922
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by jettable View Post
    Now this is strange -- the Dialer on my E5 doesn't look like that.
    The Android/Google dialers appear to be customized for each phone model. The one on the Play Store appears to match the one in my unlocked Moto G5+, but is listed as incompatible with that phone. Go figure!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    161
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    That's because loboheeler has a Moto G5 Plus, not an E5.
    LOL, there's a classic "duh" moment for me!

Similar Threads

  1. Lucky Is the wifi talk and text app still supported?
    By MrGreenleaf in forum Bell/Virgin/Lucky/Solo
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-09-2020, 12:45 AM
  2. Solo Bell’s Lucky Mobile will launch Wi-Fi-based talk and text app in 2018
    By qag01 in forum Bell/Virgin/Lucky/Solo
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-28-2019, 05:10 PM
  3. Verizon Prepaid Moto E5 Play and Moto G6 Play Unlock ?
    By bamx2 in forum Verizon Prepaid/Visible
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 11-28-2018, 07:24 PM
  4. moto w418g phone and games/apps
    By tremorz66 in forum Straight Talk
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-06-2011, 10:40 PM
  5. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-11-2005, 06:15 PM

Bookmarks