Thread: Moto E5 Dialer and Texting apps

Feedback Score

Moto E5 Dialer and Texting apps

Does anyone else dislike the native dialer app and the native texting app on the Moto E5?

I find the dialer on the E5 looks too much like the Google Voice dialer (which I suppose is to be expected), and I just don't like it. Don't like the native texting app either.

(I do like my Moto E5 overall though, especially because it was just 30 bucks - and includes 1500 t/t/d.) By contrast, my previous HSN bundle was the J3 Luna Pro a couple years ago for a hefty 70 or 80 bucks!

Feedback Score
    Looking at the icons on a E5 screen picture, the dialer and messaging apps look like the Google ones. Common to Motos, and came on my G5 Plus.

Do you have a separate voicemail app? If not, the Visual Voicemail is accessed in the dialer. Here is what mine looks like.

Name:  5406c792-Screenshot_20181112_162616.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  18.9 KB

I don't like the Google dialer much either, but it is essential to the VVM functioning. Don't think it can be changed anyway.

You can use any messaging app you want. There is a feature in the Google app called "Messages for web" that I like a lot. Allows you to use a computer to access the phone messaging system through the cell network or WiFi.

Feedback Score
    Just activated an e5, on my 1st attempt to call VM, I see it immediately displays a keypad FULL SCREEN when the PW request sounds, making it virtually impossible to turn on the speaker. PITA.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    Looking at the icons on a E5 screen picture, the dialer and messaging apps look like the Google ones. Common to Motos, and came on my G5 Plus.
    Do you have a separate voicemail app? If not, the Visual Voicemail is accessed in the dialer. Here is what mine looks like.
    Now this is strange -- the Dialer on my E5 doesn't look like that. There's no blue band anywhere on my dialer. Mine is all-white on the entire screen. The only blue is the little keypad icon. And the letters for the "create new contact" etc are in blue. The rest is all white. Also, the icons for voicemail etc are at the bottom, not at the top. (BTW I don't use Visual Voicemail). So do I have a different dialer on my E5? Maybe an "upgraded" dialer?

Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    You can use any messaging app you want. There is a feature in the Google app called "Messages for web" that I like a lot. Allows you to use a computer to access the phone messaging system through the cell network or WiFi.
    Question about one of the settings in the native messaging app - there's this "Enable chat features: Use wifi or data for messaging when available" setting that is turned on by default. Should I turn this off to conserve data? TIA.
    Last edited by jettable; 01-25-2020 at 07:41 PM. Reason: more details on how dialer is different

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jettable View Post
    Now this is strange -- the Dialer on my E5 doesn't look like that.
    That's because loboheeler has a Moto G5 Plus, not an E5.

Feedback Score
    Question about one of the settings in the native messaging app - there's this "Enable chat features: Use wifi or data for messaging when available" setting that is turned on by default. Should I turn this off to conserve data? TIA.
    The Google Messages app has RCS Chat, which is the "Enable chat features" setting. It is a replacement for SMS/MMS messaging but not fully implemented yet. I got it to work as a test with someone who also had it enabled. it does not work on other messaging apps, so the access is limited. I have it turned on, and it seems to not use any background data.

Feedback Score
    Now this is strange -- the Dialer on my E5 doesn't look like that.
    The Android/Google dialers appear to be customized for each phone model. The one on the Play Store appears to match the one in my unlocked Moto G5+, but is listed as incompatible with that phone. Go figure!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    That's because loboheeler has a Moto G5 Plus, not an E5.
    LOL, there's a classic "duh" moment for me!