Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Would you trust using a T-Mobile Android phone with an outdated security patch?

Device(s)
    LG G8 Thinq
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Look on Swappa and get a used LG G7. I wouldn't go for those listed as fair but if you look you can probably find a good or mint one that is around $150. I just bought an LG G8 on there for $275 which had no signs of usage. If you don't mind getting a phone someone else used for a bit you can get some decent deals on swappa.

Device(s)
    LG G8, LG K20 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    I think Amazon had a mis-Print. The ThinQ didn’t start until the G7.

https://www.phonearena.com/phones/co...es/10379,10779

No 600 MHz is a deal killer for me. Granted it is a good phone but I would get a Moto G7 instead.
    No misprint here but it's not a big deal, whatever they call it. Name:  20200126_114829.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  51.2 KB

Sent from my LG G8 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Any Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hofonewb9 View Post
    It’s the revvlry+. The power is a nice device as well, but the screen and only 3gb of ram may be a downer for some.
    Yeah, it's all about priorities. Not being tethered to a charger all day or having to lug a power bank around is high enough on my list that I'll take a slower device with a smaller and/or lower res screen in return.

As an aside, being someone old enough to have used computers since the Timex Sinclair days (and its 2KB of RAM!), it's horrifying to me that today 3GB RAM is barely adequate to power a phone!

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    --
    Todd Allcock, Microsoft MVP: Mobile Devices 2007-2011

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by i0wnj00 View Post
    Not for work stuff, no.
    If you earn wages from an employer, then let the employer worry about that. They can either reimburse you for an always up to date phone, or they can provide a phone that meets their requirements (usually a better option).

I know plenty of people who have employer-supplied phones, who also carry their personal one. Never the twain shall meet.

I know others who let their employer put time-bombed sandboxes on their personal phones. That gives the employer the ultimate power to wipe it on demand at their discretion. Not my idea of how to use my personal phone.

I know still other big corps that just reimburse for the monthly charge and do nothing else. That's the employer's problem.

Device(s)
    LG G8 Thinq
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by adam1991 View Post
    If you earn wages from an employer, then let the employer worry about that. They can either reimburse you for an always up to date phone, or they can provide a phone that meets their requirements (usually a better option).

I know plenty of people who have employer-supplied phones, who also carry their personal one. Never the twain shall meet.

I know others who let their employer put time-bombed sandboxes on their personal phones. That gives the employer the ultimate power to wipe it on demand at their discretion. Not my idea of how to use my personal phone.

I know still other big corps that just reimburse for the monthly charge and do nothing else. That's the employer's problem.
    I carry two phones as I do not want to use my personal phone for work purposes. I will say that the LG G8 works much better on B71 than the 6T I had. Work phone is a verizon S10e which I really like but the service seems to be slower and spottier in the areas I go.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 11 Pro Max / Apple iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    Pacific Bell Wireless / Verizon Wireless / AT&T MX / Movistar MX / Telcel MX
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by adam1991 View Post

We give employees a choice...
    1.) Provide a monthly stipend if employees want to use their personal device for work purposes hooked to our MDM solution.

2.) Provide a company issued phone on the company plan, which is severely locked down. Can't download certain apps, blocked websites, and capped data. Some employees ported their number into the company plan in the past but we stopped doing that about a year ago so anybody who wants to join gets a number from our pool of unused numbers.

I had option number #2 but hated the blocked websites and capped data so I ported my number back to another plan that I signed up for with Verizon Wireless because I like to keep my work and personal life separate. And when I'm in Mexico I just ditch the Verizon SIM because I'm not going to pay $5 when it's cheaper to use a local SIM.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Would you trust using a T-Mobile Android phone with an outdated security patch?

1.) Provide a monthly stipend if employees want to use their personal device for work purposes hooked to our MDM solution.

2.) Provide a company issued phone on the company plan, which is severely locked down. Can't download certain apps, blocked websites, and capped data. Some employees ported their number into the company plan in the past but we stopped doing that about a year ago so anybody who wants to join gets a number from our pool of unused numbers.

I had option number #2 but hated the blocked websites and capped data so I ported my number back to another plan that I signed up for with Verizon Wireless because I like to keep my work and personal life separate. And when I'm in Mexico I just ditch the Verizon SIM because I'm not going to pay $5 when it's cheaper to use a local SIM.
    I used to do that stuff... AW and MobileIron EMM... Corporate Liable vs. Individual Liable... OnPrem/Hybrid/Cloud...

I don’t envy you:
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Feedback Score

I guess I don't understand why the company owned phone was a problem. I've been there, done that; it's there to serve the company's interests. Who cares if it's locked down with capped data.

Now, if the company screwed up on locking it down so hard you can't do your job, that's a different issue. If your answer is to use your own personal device to make up for the company's shortcomings...then you're paying your employer for the privilege of working there.

Feedback Score
    I guess I’m just in the boat where I would rather have carte blanche use of a company device without having to adhere to any restriction. If I were to opt for using a personal device for business use and get a stipend I would just make sure that I am in a position of being so indispensable that I can refuse the MDM solution.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2