Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Best call blocker?

Feedback Score

Best call blocker?

Setting up a new Moto e5. I've used a few call blockers in the past, all of which have been less than perfect. What's the best call blocker? Mostly looking for one which will ALWAYS block any number I tell it to, and which allows easy copying to block list from the call log.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    The built-in blocking function on the E5 is easy to use. There are a few ways:
    1. Looking at the call log (Recents), press-and-hold on an entry that you want to block, a menu will pop up, select Block/report spam.
    2. On the call log, touch the 3 dots in the upper-right corner, select Settings-->Blocked numbers to view/remove/add blocked numbers.

My LG phones have those options, and some more, like blocking by a prefix/area codes. A few months ago, I kept getting calls during the night from a number in France. Since I don't have any relatives/friends in France, I just blocked all calls with French country code.

Feedback Score
    Thanks, I'll check that out.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Try CallDetector from the Play Store. It's free for any android using any of the various Tracfone brands.

I wish it was available for iPhone too but android only.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Device(s)
    LG G7
    Carrier(s)
    Google FI
    Feedback Score
    I use Hangouts for my actual number, Google spam protection is the best and have a 9 minute recording of old telco disconnect messages as the voicemail on the carrier phone number. No one ever calls that number twice.

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); LG Fiesta 2 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Look, if the problem of a certain number of unwanted calls comes from (perhaps) the possibility of your existing cell number having belonged to someone else at some time, and people who knew that holder of the number never picked up on the change; OR the number is similar enough to another number that calls to it could be explained as mistakes, then these garden-variety call blocker apps can probably do you some good.

But as far as telemarketing calls go, I think I can safely say that they are strictly automated, and the number their calling bots "decide" to ring up is largely random, maybe based on various demographic properties that your telephone number represents.

However, from their end, being automated or robotic means (as part of the subterfuge process they engage in) the number it appears they're calling from is essentially meaningless, and changes every time a call attempt is made. So trying to block those calls based on capturing, identifying, and storing for reference their numbers is, for all intents and purposes, pointless.

Much better would be to have an app or a service that would only allow incoming calls based on a "whitelist" of your intentionally picked numbers or contacts, like the list your phone Contacts or Phone Book represents (or one you maybe build stored at a different location, like Google Contacts).

Feedback Score
    As @whacker touched on, if you're looking to block spam/robos at this point I doubt there's any such blocker unless you work for some secret agency. If there was it would be a phone built in app and an FCC carrier requirement for land and cell service to fight fraud. Blocking a spam/robo phone number does nothing, absolutely nothing, to stop them. I've NEVER had a spam/robo call from the same number twice. I even get them going straight to my VM without ever ringing my phone. Good luck.

As also mentioned, a contact list whitelister is the way to go.

Device(s)
    LG G7
    Carrier(s)
    Google FI
    Feedback Score
    At some point all Android phones will have the option to screen calls. If screen calls is selected in call settings when Google sees a number that is likely spam and not in your contacts it'll pop up and say the call is likely spam asking whether you want the call screened - if you say yes it answers the phone and tells the caller the call is being screened because the recipient doesn't recognize it. From my experience with this the robocallers can't answer the questions so Google hangs up on them. My Doctors office uses a private caller ID to protect women with domestic issues - not sure how that helps but they answer the question{s) and I get the call.

This option is now on most if not all Pixels and on phones with a pure android or close to that along with android 9. I had an LG G7 w/Android 9 that this feature never worked on likely due to LG's heavy blob overlay on android but it works great on the Moto G7 Power. The next batch of new phones will likely work across the board with the feature, the manufacturers that use a lot of their own os features will allow it to work that verison.
    Last edited by offthegrid; 01-26-2020 at 10:02 PM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by whacker View Post
    Much better would be to have an app or a service that would only allow incoming calls based on a "whitelist" of your intentionally picked numbers or contacts, like the list your phone Contacts or Phone Book represents (or one you maybe build stored at a different location, like Google Contacts).
    I knew there were built in call blockers in older phones that were not just a manual block list. Sure enough, my Samsung Galaxy Stardust has one using the contacts list. Settings are: None, All contacts, Favorites, Custom. May allow blocked calls to go to voicemail. Never used it.

Feedback Score
    I use a free app called Call Blocker. It whitelists your contact list and blocks all others. It has other variability.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kingc View Post
    I use a free app called Call Blocker. It whitelists your contact list and blocks all others. It has other variability.
    Does this work with your native phone app/dialer?
    Also in general. Do blocked calls using any app still go to your voicemail?
    A couple times I've gotten robo/spam calls that went right to my VM, phone never even rang.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    Also in general. Do blocked calls using any app still go to your voicemail?
    A couple times I've gotten robo/spam calls that went right to my VM, phone never even rang.
    My LG Q6 has a built-in call-blocking function. I just now blocked my backup phone and made a test call. The Q6 didn't ring, and the call went straight to voicemail.

Device(s)
    LG G7
    Carrier(s)
    Google FI
    Feedback Score
    Prior to android 7 (maybe 8) the call blockers could just hang up on a call if you marked it as spam, Call comes in you don't recognize the number and the app tells you its likely spam so you tell it to hang up - no voicemail because it would answer the call and an instant later hang up. You could set it to allow calls that called right back. That functionality was broken by the OS - not sure if that capability returned with Pie/9 or not.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    I was looking through my phones a few days ago and there was an option to allow Google to keep track of the incoming callers/text senders to your phone, so they can detect spammers (i.e. lots of people received calls/texts from the same number) and block the calls/texts. I opted out of it. Can't find that setting now.

Feedback Score
    Android 9 has a more sophisticated Phone than Android 8. If you go to Phone > Settings, you will see a selection for Caller ID & spam, then you can choose a couple things. I have them both on.

When a spammer calls my Google Voice number, only my 8 phone will ring and the log is normal and shows no spam indication one way or the other. My 9 phone doesn't ring and nothing appears in the log until the next day or two, with a spam flag on that call. I don't know why there is a delay.

My Google Voice account shows the call and I can do a search and see that it has been reported as spam.

I don't remember if Google Voice flagged the call as spam but forwarded it anyway or how that is handled.

There is no way to get this newfangled Phone onto an 8 phone, as the Play Store will not allow it.

I believe this is how things worked.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast