Thread: can Tracfone AT&T SIM card be used in a locked AT&T iPhone 7?(postpaid, not prepaid)

Feedback Score

can Tracfone AT&T SIM card be used in a locked AT&T iPhone 7?(postpaid, not prepaid)

can a Tracfone AT&T SIM card be used in a locked AT&T iPhone 7?

The phone was originally sold as AT&T postpaid, not AT&T prepaid.

The reason I'm asking is that I've used Tracfone T-Mobile SIM card in a locked T-Mobile phone without any issues. Just wondering if the same is true for AT&T.

Thanks!

Device(s)
    Moto Z2 Force, X4, G7, G7 Power, G6, G5s+, E6, E5+, E5, E4..
    Carrier(s)
    metro by T-Mobile, TracFone on Verizon, AT&T and T-Mobile, and FreeUp.
    Feedback Score
    I've activated an at&t TracFone sim card on at&t prepaid so I don't see why not.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    I've used TF AT&T SIMs in prepaid and postpaid locked AT&T Android phones, but I recall someone in this forum could not use a TF AT&T SIM with a prepaid locked AT&T iPhone. Don't know about postpaid iPhones.

Feedback Score
    I've used straight talk at&t sims in locked att iphones (postpaid) with no problems.

Sent from my SM-T580 using HoFo mobile app
    Last edited by sevillelady; 01-25-2020 at 10:13 AM. Reason: Spelling

Feedback Score
    Can you use a tracfone at&t sim card in a straight talk gsm phone? Reason I ask is I'm looking at getting a new phone but want to keep with a gsm phone and not a cdma. I noticed the straight talk store has the same model phone gsm I'm thinking about where as most places were only offering the cdma version

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksprat88 View Post
    Can you use a tracfone at&t sim card in a straight talk gsm phone?
    A TF/AT&T SIM will work in a Straight Talk GSM phone. You can SIM-swap, but to do it right just contact TF and ask the rep to "rebrand" the ST phone as a TF phone, then transfer service from the AT&T phone/SIM to it.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Can you use a tracfone at&t sim card in a straight talk gsm phone? Reason I ask is I'm looking at getting a new phone but want to keep with a gsm phone and not a cdma. I noticed the straight talk store has the same model phone gsm I'm thinking about where as most places were only offering the cdma version
    About the end of 2018 Tracfone began selling all new phones as "DL" models (one phone for all service providers). The DL models have the radios for AT&T, T-Mobile and Verizon. Each Tracfone company decides which providers SIM to ship with their phones... although the phone will accept any of the three TF provider`s active SIM.
    You do need to have an understanding of what you are doing to switch service providers or brand of airtime.
    So what phone(s) interests you?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    A TF/AT&T SIM will work in a Straight Talk GSM phone. You can SIM-swap, but to do it right just contact TF and ask the rep to "rebrand" the ST phone as a TF phone, then transfer service from the AT&T phone/SIM to it.
    Thanks for the reply appreciate it. Wondering if the rep will understand what I mean being their customer service is outsourced. I've had hit or miss on other issues getting across issues I was having and getting them resolved without having to talk to more than one rep before.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracfancier View Post
    About the end of 2018 Tracfone began selling all new phones as "DL" models (one phone for all service providers). The DL models have the radios for AT&T, T-Mobile and Verizon. Each Tracfone company decides which providers SIM to ship with their phones... although the phone will accept any of the three TF provider`s active SIM.
    You do need to have an understanding of what you are doing to switch service providers or brand of airtime.
    So what phone(s) interests you?
    I sort of thought that you could being Straight talk is part of Tracfone. My concern was that when the phone reboots after installing will the phone still read as a Tracfone and be associate with it. Not sure if that is clear enough or how to expalin it better. I currently have an LG Sunrise. I'm not a heavy user by any means and don't upgrade my phone constantly like a lot of people. I figure if it works it's good enough for me. It is getting old obviously and was looking at relatively inexpensive options. I've been looking at the LG Rebel 4. Also wouldn't mind having a Samsung so checked out the J3 Orbit but only thing its again its CDMA. So leaning towards the Rebel 4 because they have a GSM version. Unless you have other ideas or alternatives you can think of you think would be better suited for a average user for surfing the web, checking email, texting, and don't download or use a lot of apps. I really don't watch a lot of videos, utube, stream tv, or anything like that.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Wondering if the rep will understand what I mean being their customer service is outsourced.
    Use Chat instead of Calling, so you don't have to deal with the noisy environment and the rep's accent. Also, the Chat reps seem to be more experienced than the phone reps.

I sort of thought that you could being Straight talk is part of Tracfone. My concern was that when the phone reboots after installing will the phone still read as a Tracfone and be associate with it. Not sure if that is clear enough or how to explain it better.
    I have phones from Tracfone and Simple Mobile. They all show the Tracfone logo at power-up.

I currently have an LG Sunrise. I'm not a heavy user by any means and don't upgrade my phone constantly like a lot of people. I figure if it works it's good enough for me. It is getting old obviously and was looking at relatively inexpensive options. I've been looking at the LG Rebel 4. Also wouldn't mind having a Samsung so checked out the J3 Orbit but only thing its again its CDMA. So leaning towards the Rebel 4 because they have a GSM version.
    TF-branded GSM phones are rare nowadays, but Simple Mobile phones are GSM (they use TF/T-mobile) and can be rebranded by a rep to use on Tracfone. If you use the SIM that it comes with, your service will be on TF/T-mobile, but you can use a BYOP TF/AT&T SIM in Simple Mobile phones. Shop around on Simple Mobile web site, you might find a phone to your liking.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score

I sort of thought that you could being Straight talk is part of Tracfone. My concern was that when the phone reboots after installing will the phone still read as a Tracfone and be associate with it.
    I currently have an LG Sunrise. (A GSM MODEL PHONE - shipped with AT&T SIM)
    I've been looking at the LG Rebel 4. Also checked out the J3 Orbit but only thing its again its CDMA. So leaning towards the Rebel 4 because they have a GSM version.
    The phone will be associated with whatever Tracfone companies airtime is activated on the SIM you put in the phone.
    The Rebel 4 and Orbit were on the tail end of phones released before the "DL" models became the standard.
    Rebel 4 GSM model is LML211BL (Verizon model is LML212VL)
    Orbit GSM model is S357BL (Verizon model is S367VL)

If you like the 5" LG Rebel 4, then consider this 5.3" LG "DL" model that comes with a Verizon SIM but after activation can then be transferred to a Tracfone AT&T BYOP SIM. Assuming you can get a Verizon signal to activate the included Verizon SIM to get the bundled airtime.
    Phone bundle-
    https://www.hsn.com/products/lg-prem...extdat/8930985
    TF BYOP SIM kit-
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tracfone-Ke...MAAOSwVBVb02o4