Thread: Why do I have to disable Find my iPhone?

Feedback Score

Why do I have to disable Find my iPhone?

Why do I have to disable Find my iPhone? Can’t I just reset my phone or just sign out of iCloud?
    Everyone’s instructions say to disable Find my iPhone before selling. I don’t see the point if you sign out of iCloud.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Why do you care about that?
    If my actions include deeds of philanthropy in charity and acts of loving kindness I am living in my Faith.

Red Pocket (AT&T) UTnT 5GB exp 09.27.20
    Red Pocket (AT&T) UTnT 1GB exp 02.12.20
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.11.21
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1-use/3mo no exp by 04.11.20

Device(s)
    OnePlus 7T, Apple iPhone 6S, Apple iPad 3 (VZW variant)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Verizon Prepaid, Total Wireless (Verizon), FreedomPop (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by techfranz View Post
    Why do I have to disable Find my iPhone? Can’t I just reset my phone or just sign out of iCloud?
    Everyone’s instructions say to disable Find my iPhone before selling. I don’t see the point if you sign out of iCloud.

Most people think the "Erase all content and settings" on the device (or in most cases through the computer) allows the new owner to start the phone fresh. Activation Lock prevents this practice succeeding to deter reuse of lost/stolen phones. Activation Lock is setup automatically when Find My iPhone is intially enabled for the device.

Signing out of iCloud on the device should disable Activation Lock, so it can be subsequently wiped clean for resale.

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk
    My common forum nick: GenesisDH.

R.I.P. Circuit City

We are the Bor... the new AT&T: Your World, Assimilated.

1000th post: Sept. 29th, 2008, 17:42 CDT

Feedback Score

Why do I have to disable Find my iPhone?

Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    Why do you care about that?
    I am working at selling a phone and I signed out of iCloud and reset it without disabling Find My iPhone. Also I am hoping the instructions all the carriers give about disabling Find my iPhone are correct.

I wish a simple iCloud Sign Out was all that is needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Haas_Dave View Post
    Most people think the "Erase all content and settings" on the device (or in most cases through the computer) allows the new owner to start the phone fresh. Activation Lock prevents this practice succeeding to deter reuse of lost/stolen phones. Activation Lock is setup automatically when Find My iPhone is intially enabled for the device.

Signing out of iCloud on the device should disable Activation Lock, so it can be subsequently wiped clean for resale.

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk
    OK, very interesting. So Activation Lock is connected to Find My iPhone. Seems like it might be a separate system from iCloud yet dependent on it.

I agree signing out of iCloud should be all you need to do. Nevertheless it seems like I should set up the phone again (thus proving that it can be activated just by iCloud sign out) and go through the disable Find My iPhone sequence before resetting (thus assuring my buyer has no activation issues).

Feedback Score
    That's what I was thinking is that Find My iPhone is another security app that can trip up the new owner.

So the reason this was shied away from was to avoid time consuming re-setting up.