Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cross-Carrier VoLTE working?

Device(s)
    BB 8320
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Cross-Carrier VoLTE working?

I have two TF/AT&T unlocked phones, one Android 8.0 and one 9.0. Both theoretically support VoLTE. Based on my home cell tower and intangibles like VoLTE and Wi-Fi calling support, I'm switching to TF/TMO. I have a couple of the ebay $50/365/1200 SIM's coming. One of my main goals is to get better voice quality.

Is VoLTE mature enough to usually work when calling another TMO phone? If not "Usually", then maybe often or just occasionally? Or, never? Same question for cross-carrier calls?

Thanks for any advice!

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Cross-carrier VoLTE isn't working yet, at least on Tracfone service. My main phone is on TF/AT&T (which AT&T hasn't enabled VoLTE yet), my backup phone is on TF/Verizon VoLTE, my wife's phone is on TF/T-mo VoLTE. The HD (VoLTE) indicator doesn't show when I use one phone to call another of my phones.

The HD indicator does show when I use my TF/Verizon VoLTE phone to call another phone on TF/Verizon VoLTE for testing. I don't know anyone else who has TF/T-mo VoLTE to do testing using my wife's phone.

Feedback Score
    I only tried calling with a TF/TMO phone to another TMO phone once, and no HD Voice. It did seem to use VoLTE and WiFi calling. Only TMO allows WiFi calling on the MVNOs.

Device(s)
    BB 8320
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    Cross-carrier VoLTE isn't working yet, at least on Tracfone service.
    I asked here because I couldn't find any search results that even addressed the state of carrier interoperability of VoLTE. Do you know if any of the majors have made any statements that allude to their plans to talk to one another?

I don't know anyone else who has TF/T-mo VoLTE to do testing using my wife's phone.
    If all goes well, I might maybe have a TF/TMO VoLTE phone to test. I'd be happy to try a test call.

Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    Only TMO allows WiFi calling on the MVNOs.
    This is surprising to me since I think the prime beneficiary of Wi-Fi Calling is the providers themselves.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CAL7 View Post
    If all goes well, I might maybe have a TF/TMO VoLTE phone to test. I'd be happy to try a test call.
    Please send me a Private Message (click on my forum name, then Private Message) when you have that phone set up, with your phone number and when best to call. I'm in Kansas; I'm retired so available most of the time.

Feedback Score
    I asked here because I couldn't find any search results that even addressed the state of carrier interoperability of VoLTE. Do you know if any of the majors have made any statements that allude to their plans to talk to one another?
    The carriers have made numerous claims of having interoperablity, but not sure how successful that is. Keep in mind that they reserve some features for their own customers. Some have even shorted their own Prepaid customers.

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I know cross-carrier HD Calling works in my area between AT&T and Verizon at least. I know my aunt and a few cousins have AT&T. I have Verizon based Straight Talk.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by advcomp2019 View Post
    I know cross-carrier HD Calling works in my area between AT&T and Verizon at least. I know my aunt and a few cousins have AT&T. I have Verizon based Straight Talk.
    Are you speaking of direct carrier service, or through MVNOs?

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Are you speaking of direct carrier service, or through MVNOs?
    They are on postpaid AT&T.

Device(s)
    BB 8320
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Thank you, gentlemen.

Please send me a Private Message (click on my forum name, then Private Message) when you have that phone set up, with your phone number and when best to call.
    Will do. Thanks. Probably Wed or Thu.

I only tried calling with a TF/TMO phone to another TMO phone once, and no HD Voice. It did seem to use VoLTE and WiFi calling.
    Are "HD Voice" and VoLTE synonymous? Is "HD Voice" an industry-standard term or unique to T-Mobile?

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Are "HD Voice" and VoLTE synonymous? Is "HD Voice" an industry-standard term or unique to T-Mobile?
    HD Voice is a sub-feature of VoLTE. As far as I know, HD Voice is not possible if the call is not going through VoLTE.

Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone SE, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    Also, I think VoLTE is your voice connection with the carrier. But you won't get HD Voice if the other end isn't compatible, even though you are on VoLTE.
    iPhone 11 is my current primary phone. I have older model iPhones and Moto phones available on other lines. Currently prepaid, though would consider postpaid on right plan.

Feedback Score
    Is "HD Voice" an industry-standard term or unique to T-Mobile?
    All the carriers call it HD Voice. VoLTE itself can be named different by the manufacturers. Advanced Calling, Enhanced 4G LTE, and just VoLTE.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11, iPhone SE, Galaxy S7
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    HD Voice is a sub-feature of VoLTE. As far as I know, HD Voice is not possible if the call is not going through VoLTE.
    T-Mobile launched HD Voice in 2013 running over their 3g network. As far as I know it’s still active. Sprint does the same using their 1x advanced network.

Sent from my iPhone 11

Device(s)
    OnePlus 7T, Apple iPhone 6S, Apple iPad 3 (VZW variant)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Verizon Prepaid, Total Wireless (Verizon), FreedomPop (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    HD Voice is possible over 3G networks using a few different codecs, but to my understanding many interconnects aren't configured well to support it. I believe I recall reading T-Mobile doing AMR-WB on 3G while transitioning their networks to LTE.

I don't believe Verizon had HD Voice codecs running until they went VoLTE, which would explain why devices that support VoLTE are labeled "HD Voice" devices by Verizon.

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk
    My common forum nick: GenesisDH.

R.I.P. Circuit City

We are the Bor... the new AT&T: Your World, Assimilated.

1000th post: Sept. 29th, 2008, 17:42 CDT

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast