Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 37

Thread: Problem with T-Mobile iPhone XR

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    198
    Feedback Score
    0

    Problem with T-Mobile iPhone XR

    Hello all - daughter got a hand-me-down XR from relative who was on T-Mobile.
    Daughter is in Morgantown WV.

    We put in the T-Mobile SIM and no joy. Tracfone says there are no T-Mobile towers in M'town and that's the problem.

    So we put in an AT&T sim, at TF's suggestion. We were then put on hold for half an hour while they "worked on the account."

    Tired of waiting, we turned on the phone with the AT&T sim, and we are getting "SIM not supported" message.
    Is there any hope?
    Any settings we can tweak? Anything to ask TF to do if we ever get them back on the phone?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    7,345
    Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    0
    Sounds like the phone is locked to T-mo service. If it had served the required service time on T-mo, you (or the original owner) can ask T-mo to unlock it, so it can accept an AT&T SIM.

    TF is probably working on transferring service from the T-mo SIM to an AT&T SIM. Since that involves porting the phone number cross-carrier, which requires human intervention, that might take longer during the weekend.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    198
    Feedback Score
    0
    Thanks, I just did some Googling and found mention of this unlock code. I'm texting my SD to see if she can get it for me. Since she just upgraded and has been a customer with them for a while, it shouldn't be a problem.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    198
    Feedback Score
    0
    Oh good grief. SD called to get the unlock code and discovered that she still owes $544 on this phone.
    Say it with me, everyone: "And this is why we are on Tracfone."

    So needless to say, no unlock code was forthcoming. And I'm back in the market for an iPhone for the kid.
    Best deal on TF seems to be a refurb 6s for $129. Anyone know of anything better out there?
    tia

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    7,345
    Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Kren Ster View Post
    And I'm back in the market for an iPhone for the kid.
    Best deal on TF seems to be a refurb 6s for $129. Anyone know of anything better out there?
    I don't know anything about iPhones, but saw this deal which gets a lot of thumb-ups on Slickdeals.net.

    Simple Mobile iPhone SE for $59.99 at Best Buy. You can get a Simple Mobile phone "re-branded" by a TF rep to use on Tracfone. I'm not sure if this can be used with TF/AT&T; a Simple Mobile phone usually comes with a TF/T-mo SIM.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    7,345
    Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    0
    There's also this deal:
    Refurbished Total Wireless iPhone 7 with a time card for $124.99 after rebate . Total Wireless phones can also be rebranded to use with Tracfone.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    BP subsidized Gulf Coast
    Posts
    6,821
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    0
    Tracfone does not ask for phone info when activating a TF AT&T BYOP SIM. Just make sure the Iphone will accept AT&T.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    BP subsidized Gulf Coast
    Posts
    6,821
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    0
    I just noticed that the Tracfone eBay store sells no iPhones for any of their many brands.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    1,447
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    I don't know anything about iPhones, but saw this deal which gets a lot of thumb-ups on Slickdeals.net.

    Simple Mobile iPhone SE for $59.99 at Best Buy. You can get a Simple Mobile phone "re-branded" by a TF rep to use on Tracfone. I'm not sure if this can be used with TF/AT&T; a Simple Mobile phone usually comes with a TF/T-mo SIM.
    OK, I'm like you. Have never looked at iPhones and know nothing about them. But for $65 delivered, thought I would give one a try. I currently have a active TF/T-MOBILE sim. Anyone know if I can just plop it into the SE or will I need to jump thru any hoops to get it "rebranded"?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    7,345
    Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by cv91913 View Post
    Have never looked at iPhones and know nothing about them. But for $65 delivered, thought I would give one a try.
    I've never used an iPhone, but I had an iPod for a short time. I really hated Apple's "ecosystem" where they control everything. Unless things have changed, you can't even delete mp3 files directly from an iPod; you have to mark them for deletion then log into your Apple account and Apple system will remove the files from your iPod.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    1,447
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    I've never used an iPhone, but I had an iPod for a short time. I really hated Apple's "ecosystem" where they control everything. Unless things have changed, you can't even delete mp3 files directly from an iPod; you have to mark them for deletion then log into your Apple account and Apple system will remove the files from your iPod.
    I too have never been a fan of the "we know best" apple ecosystem. I used a Mac way back in the 90's for a short time because some piece of software was only available on Mac for a job I was doing. Only lasted for a few months. I hated it. Probably my first 4 PC's, other than the DEC Rainbow I had, were buy a case and motherboard and build from there. Could never do that with Apple.

    Oh well, it could be a waste of $65 but WTH.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    California Gold Country
    Posts
    6,926
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Kren Ster View Post
    I'm back in the market for an iPhone for the kid.
    Best deal on TF seems to be a refurb 6s for $129. Anyone know of anything better out there?
    The reburb on Tracfone is a 6s Plus, which has a larger screen. Pretty good price IF the condition is OK. Some have complained recently of refurb phones not being so nice. Did not used to be this way.

    The coverage maps for the area mentioned does not look good for Verizon either, so AT&T is a better choice. The TF 6s Plus will come with a Verizon SIM, but a TF/AT&T SIM should work. There is also a new Simple Mobile 6s Plus for $150, which will come with a T-Mobile SIM.

    Screen size is a consideration.
    6s Plus is 5.5"
    6s is 4.7"
    7 is 4.7"
    SE is 4"

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    13,138
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Kren Ster View Post
    Oh good grief. SD called to get the unlock code and discovered that she still owes $544 on this phone.
    Say it with me, everyone: "And this is why we are on Tracfone."

    So needless to say, no unlock code was forthcoming. And I'm back in the market for an iPhone for the kid.
    Best deal on TF seems to be a refurb 6s for $129. Anyone know of anything better out there?
    tia
    Who is SD?

    Who owes $544?

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    7,345
    Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    Who is SD?

    Who owes $544?
    I guess SD = Step Daughter?

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    West
    Posts
    277
    Device(s)
    Ascend XT2 at&t ,iphone 6s at&t
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone (att sim)(Verison)
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Kren Ster View Post
    I'm back in the market for an iPhone for the kid.
    Best deal on TF seems to be a refurb 6s for $129. Anyone know of anything better out there?


    You can get a new iphone 6s straight talk from Walmart for $99 i have one i got on black friday.

    It come's with the straight talk verizon sim but tracfone will rebrand if you want to use on verizon

    I use mine with tracfone at&t sim

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Problems with Boost & Mobile Email (wirelessinbox.com)
    By DigitalJEM in forum General Nextel Discussion
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 12-29-2003, 12:35 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-30-2003, 05:50 PM
  3. Replies: 44
    Last Post: 09-20-2003, 11:40 AM
  4. Problems with T-Mobile SIM and 3650
    By Jon_Hanson in forum Symbian/S60
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 04-15-2003, 12:27 PM
  5. Replies: 16
    Last Post: 07-22-2002, 05:58 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks