Thread: TruPhone & Tracfone on Dual Sim?

Feedback Score

Lightbulb TruPhone & Tracfone on Dual Sim?

Does it make sense and is it possible to use TruPhone & Tracfone (Verizon) on a Dual Sim device? Tracfone or other low cost carrier would be used for outgoing calls.

Which dual sim devices would work in the USA for that purpose ?

Device(s)
    LG Ultimate 2 L41C, HTC Evo 4G, Photon Mifi
    Carrier(s)
    Pageplus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    If you really want to go the cheap route, I could suggest you use TrueFone for incoming calls and Freedompop 1 or 5 gig yearly plan for data. Use a voip like Google Voice Hangouts for call out.

Alternative is to use Page Plus(Verizon) standard plan for Voice(call in and out plus Text messages.

If you do your research, the next generation of dual sim phones can do cdma/lte now on both sims. The phone I am using now(umidigi) can do that. It took a little bit of fiddling with the settings (mostly because tracfone based service requires a custom Apn entry) but I did achieve the cheapskate "dream config" of page plus(Verizon) for call and text, Freedompop(AT&T) for data. It works but not the most reliable.

Last generation phones could only do gsm on both Sims. Usually they were limited to 3g/2g on one sim. I have an Irulu Geoking Max setup this way. TrueFone on sim 2 for voice and text, freedompop AT&T on Sim1 for data. This works well enough except that the Geo King Max is not the most reliable phone out there.

Sent from my S3_Pro Umidigi using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Pageplus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    That being said, the need for a low cost phone option is mostly been negated by high capacity, low cost plans. I am currently on Red Pocket Verizon and paying significantly less for Verizon data. So the dual sim option was a neat trick but not really practical.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ShredFred View Post
    That being said, the need for a low cost phone option is mostly been negated by high capacity, low cost plans. I am currently on Red Pocket Verizon and paying significantly less for Verizon data. So the dual sim option was a neat trick but not really practical.

Thanks for the education shredFred and I guess I’ll let the two Sim option alone at least for now.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Pageplus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    By the way, wasn't trying to discourage you from trying. Give it a shot if you want to try.

I was Just pointing out that the desire to have a solution like this was trying to have the reliability of Page Plus Standard plan on Verizon for talk and text but data was 5 cents per mb(which is still too expensive) with cheap Freedompop AT&T data. Having the best of both worlds. It's only since last year that the technology has caught up(dual sim phone capable of cdma, gsm and lte on both Sims)

But nowadays, having 5 gig of Verizon data for under $20 per month has made that superfluous. I don't talk and text much anyway. Plus with all carriers going lte only, we should see less distinction between gsm and cdma carriers as far as coverage and reliability.

Feedback Score
    Gotcha Fred, thanks again.. I may check out the Nokia 7.1 dual sim. My main need is 2 lines and very little data use.

No rush so I'll be doing some more reading.

Thanx

Feedback Score
    >I may check out the Nokia 7.1 dual sim.

Nokia 7.1 is interesting. It picked up VZW certification after launch, so is one of a handful of dual-SIM phones that supports VZW. OTOH, it doesn't support T-Mo B71, which isn't surprising since it's a 2018 model.

It has Android One, which gives it 2 years of OS updates and 3 yrs of security updates. It started with Android 8, and has just been updated to 10, which presumably is the last. OTOH, 10 update has numerous reports (from first glance) of problems.

At current $209 on Amazon, it's relatively cheap. OTOH, quality is spotty, taking the aggregate of Amazon reviews into account.

To sum, it's an "OTOH" phone that's rapidly nearing the end of its supported life cycle. It has some unique pluses, which are balanced out by the minuses.

Adding to the "interesting" mix, Nokia 7.2, the 2019 model, no longer has VZW cert. You can do the SIM swap deal of course, but no activation or support on VZW.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Pageplus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Just FYI, Dual sim standby phones are the common phones out there. That means only 1 active at the same time. So you can't have 2 phone numbers active. Actually you choose which sim does the talk text and data.

There's another type of dual sim but its hard to find.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1stlink View Post
    Gotcha Fred, thanks again.. I may check out the Nokia 7.1 dual sim. My main need is 2 lines and very little data use.

No rush so I'll be doing some more reading.

Thanx

Device(s)
    Moto X4, Moto E5 Play, AT&T F160 flip, Kyo Dura XT
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone, FreeUp, Tello, T-Mo Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    And then there are people like me who carry two phones. The one I use for talk and light text is a small candy bar/stick phone, and I carry a smartphone for data and texting. I have a GV number so incoming texts go to both phones.

Sent from my moto e5 play using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Pageplus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    I sometimes carry 2 phones not because of service but because of battery life. Not many phones with removable batteries so helpful to have a working spare handy. I use voip messenger apps like Google Voice/hangouts and Facebook Messenger since they can work on multiple phones simultaneously.

Less need now since I have a phone that can last 2 days plus.

Last edited by ShredFred; 01-27-2020 at 10:52 AM.

Feedback Score
    Still looking and a Used OnePlus 6t from fleebay or Swappa is doable if prices drop some more and UMIDIGI F2 on Amazon for $250 is tempting but I wonder about quality and reliability.

I also was reading a Boz1 thread that mentioned the Pixel 3a with great camera that I really like and didn't realize that it had an eSIM as well as a physical SIM card slot.

Do any MVNO carriers work on the eSim? Thoughts about UMIDIGI F2.

More research..

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1stlink View Post
    Still looking and a Used OnePlus 6t from fleebay or Swappa is doable if prices drop some more and UMIDIGI F2 on Amazon for $250 is tempting but I wonder about quality and reliability.

I also was reading a Boz1 thread that mentioned the Pixel 3a with great camera that I really like and didn't realize that it had an eSIM as well as a physical SIM card slot.

Do any MVNO carriers work on the eSim? Thoughts about UMIDIGI F2.

More research..
    US Mobil is supposed to soon. See https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...rnational-Data.

There may be others.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    US Mobil is supposed to soon. See https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...rnational-Data.

There may be others.
    Thanks Boz1, I'll check it out. I just bought a Pixel 3a on Fleabay.

Airalo International info from another of your posts is helpful also for eSIM possible use.

I Decided to pass on UMIDIGI F2 from china on concerns of quality and lack of feedback.