Thread: Grandfathered data advice - compatibility

Feedback Score

Grandfathered data advice - compatibility

Hi all,

It's been a while since I visited the forums. I remember you all as expects in the grandfathered data discussions. I used to be on Tzones with MyFaves family plan but transitioned 2 of my lines to Preferred Android Unlimited for $5/mo add-on. Later added 2 more lines and asked Customer support to add same data.
    They added the Preferred Smartphone Unlimited Web only which worked fine with my dad's iPhone and brother's LG G5 (unlocked Sprint version). My brother recently bought a Pixel 3a XL (unlocked at BestBuy) and data wouldn't work. In process of getting it resolved, we discovered that it's just not compatible. My dad's iPhone works great with this same data plan.

Does anyone know what the differences between PAU and Preferred Smartphone Unlimited? What are my other options or how can I help customer service reps find the unlimited compatible data plan. Do you happen to know the code for PAU so they can find in their system? Thanks for any insight you can provide.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by coolmen777 View Post
    Hi all,

It's been a while since I visited the forums. I remember you all as expects in the grandfathered data discussions. I used to be on Tzones with MyFaves family plan but transitioned 2 of my lines to Preferred Android Unlimited for $5/mo add-on. Later added 2 more lines and asked Customer support to add same data.
    They added the Preferred Smartphone Unlimited Web only which worked fine with my dad's iPhone and brother's LG G5 (unlocked Sprint version). My brother recently bought a Pixel 3a XL (unlocked at BestBuy) and data wouldn't work. In process of getting it resolved, we discovered that it's just not compatible. My dad's iPhone works great with this same data plan.

Does anyone know what the differences between PAU and Preferred Smartphone Unlimited? What are my other options or how can I help customer service reps find the unlimited compatible data plan. Do you happen to know the code for PAU so they can find in their system? Thanks for any insight you can provide.
    I would message T-Force via Facebook Messenger and ask they replace the data feature from 'Preferred Smartphone Unlimited Web' to 'Preferred Android Unlimited Web Only' as the former data feature is not compatible with most Android devices.

Legacy data plans tried to distinguish between various devices to appropriately charge for data consumed for these devices, or so was the intention. T-Zones was compatible with phone first devices and iPhone (since T-Mobile did not sell iPhone devices as this time, as well as unrecognized smartphones). Preferred Phone First Web and/or Preferred Shadow Web was compatible with phone first devices only (but very similar to phones compatible with T-Zones). Preferred Smartphone Web was compatible with other smartphones that were not Android, such as iPhones and Windows phones. The coveted Preferred Android Unlimited Web Only was compatible with all phone types since the plan did not block compatible devices, such as phone first devices, iPhones, Windows phone, Shadow phone, or Android devices.

No matter what T-Force or T-Mobile representatives tell you, always ask for your lines to be placed onto the Preferred Android Unlimited Web Only plan to eliminate phone compatibility issues. Always tell T-Force and T-Mobile representatives you will use an Android device; otherwise, you will get pushback from representatives to change the plan.

Preferred Android Unlimited Web Only will future proof your data plans as I have never experienced an issue with this plan being blocked by any smartphone device.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by schippma View Post
    I would message T-Force via Facebook Messenger and ask they replace the data feature from 'Preferred Smartphone Unlimited Web' to 'Preferred Android Unlimited Web Only' as the former data feature is not compatible with most Android devices.

No matter what T-Force or T-Mobile representatives tell you, always ask for your lines to be placed onto the Preferred Android Unlimited Web Only plan to eliminate phone compatibility issues. Always tell T-Force and T-Mobile representatives you will use an Android device; otherwise, you will get pushback from representatives to change the plan.

Preferred Android Unlimited Web Only will future proof your data plans as I have never experienced an issue with this plan being blocked by any smartphone device.
    Thanks for the detailed explanation and advice. I knew about the T-Zones as I had it myself but later transitioned to the Preferred Android Unlimited plan, but apparently for 2 other lines they added of the one other data add-ons which finally caused a problem and got me wandering as reps certainly didn't know the difference. I finally got them to change it on both of my lines so the issue should be resolved for good. Will stick with this plan forever or until we are all forced to change. Thanks again.