Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Is my IMEI clear to sell?

Feedback Score

Is my IMEI clear to sell?

I have a Google Pixel 2 I've been using with Tracfone but at Xmas upgraded to a Pixel 3 XL... I just transferred the SIM card and it works perfectly.

Now is the IMEI on the Pixel 2 no longer connected to Tracfone so I'm free to sell it?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mike2874 View Post
    I have a Google Pixel 2 I've been using with Tracfone but at Xmas upgraded to a Pixel 3 XL... I just transferred the SIM card and it works perfectly.

Now is the IMEI on the Pixel 2 no longer connected to Tracfone so I'm free to sell it?
    It depends on which TF carrier you are using. If Verizon, the sim is still tied to the Pixel 2 and selling the Pixel 2 could cause you problems down the line. It would be best to get a new Verizon sim from TF and activate it using the IMEI from the Pixel 3 XL to do the transfer. You could then sell the Pixel 2. If you are using T-Mobile or AT&T, there is no connection between the IMEI and the sim and selling the Pixel 2 should not be a problem.

Feedback Score
    Contact TF and ask what imei is currently paired with your sim. You'll need to give them your account and pin and they'll only "confirm" your imei if you tell them; they can't directly tell you. You can just tell them you took sims out of your phones and forgot which goes where if you're worried what they may think.
    If TF still isn't doing auto imei/sim pairing we'll find out if you reply back with your finding. PPC does the auto imei/sim re-pair but I haven't heard if anyone checked TF recently.
    Also you may not even need a new sim if you just tell them to change the imei/sim pair if it doesn't match their system.

Feedback Score
    Any particular number to call to better the chances of getting someone in the USA?

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Again, which carrier is your phone using (through Tracfone)? If it's AT&T or T-mo, you don't need to do anything.

Feedback Score
    Sorry glossed right over that I'm using Verizon.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Like cv91913 said, by simply swapping SIM, your SIM is still tied to the Pixel 2's IMEI. To confirm that, you can go to TF web site and go through the process of activating a BYOP phone/SIM. When it asks if you have a SIM, reply that you don't have one yet. When it asks which carrier you want to use, select Verizon. When it asks for the IMEI, enter the IMEI of the Pixel 2. If that comes up with an error, that's because the Pixel 2 IMEI is currently tied to an active SIM (being used in the Pixel 3).

Follow the advice of cv91913, use a new TF/Verizon BYOP SIM (a SIM kit can be bought at Best Buy, Family Dollar, Dollar General, etc for $1). Activate the new SIM with the IMEI of the Pixel 3, WITH A TRANSFER FROM YOUR PIXEL 2 SIM. TF web site will ask if you want to KEEP YOUR PHONE NUMBER, give it your current phone number and it'll transfer the phone number, balances, days to the new SIM. Since you're staying with Verizon, the transfer is fairly risk-free and should take place instantly. After the transfer, your Pixel 2 IMEI is free-and-clear. You can confirm that using the first step in this post (i.e. it should come up as OK).

Feedback Score
    I'm not good at doing things like this it seems like every time I want to change phones with Tracfone it's never simple.

So do I call them to do this since I'm not quite sure the procedure on their website (unless someone wants to give me detailed instructions)? I do happen to have a new Tracfone BYOP SIM kit?

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    You can use Chat, so you won't have to deal with the rep's accent, and everything said/done is in the chat transcript. Go to TF web site-->HELP-->Contact US. You should see a red "Click to Chat" button. If you don't see it, turn off any ad/pop-up blocker in your browser, or using a different browser.

At the beginning of the Chat, ask the rep for the current balances & service end date of your phone number, so it'll be in the transcript. Then tell the rep you want to TRANSFER your service to a new SIM. At the end of the chat, copy everything in the chat box, paste it to a text file on your computer and save it for record.

Feedback Score
    Ok I went ahead and called since my typing's so bad and explained what I wanted to do. He took down the IMEI's from both phones and the serial numbers and he ended up saying that it had already transferred from my Pixel 2 to the Pixel 3 XL. He said the when checking the IMEI of the Pixel 2 it was showing invalid on Tracfone's system. He also said that the SIM only stays married to the phone if it's a Tracfone phone not a BYOP.

He said I should be clear to sell my Pixel 2. I did go to Boom Mobile's website and enter in the IMEI of the Pixel 2 and it could be used on their system if that means anything.

Feedback Score
    Something doesn't sound right. If the Pixel 2 IMEI is showing invalid on the Tracfone system, how is a new owner supposed to use it? It is showing invalid because it is currently married and not available. The carriers know when a SIM is consorting with a new phone, but that does not make it official in Tracfone's eyes. Since you are using Verizon, you have to make everything official with Tracfone.

Give Post #7 another look.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Also, is there really a boom! online IMEI/ESN checker? I thought that was removed a year or two ago, and I don't see it on the boom.us website now.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisme View Post
    Something doesn't sound right. If the Pixel 2 IMEI is showing invalid on the Tracfone system, how is a new owner supposed to use it? It is showing invalid because it is currently married and not available.
    I agree. Something isn't right. If TF system had detected the old SIM being used in the Pixel 3 and "auto paired" it to the Pixel 3 IMEI as reported by a forum member (occurred on another sub-brand, not Tracfone), then the Pixel 2 IMEI should have been clear.

Feedback Score
    I tell the Chat agents that I am slow, please bear with me. They comply, but I don't know if there's cussing in the background. Too bad.

Using the Call Center is just too exasperating.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    Like cv91913 said, by simply swapping SIM, your SIM is still tied to the Pixel 2's IMEI. To confirm that, you can go to TF web site and go through the process of activating a BYOP phone/SIM. When it asks if you have a SIM, reply that you don't have one yet. When it asks which carrier you want to use, select Verizon. When it asks for the IMEI, enter the IMEI of the Pixel 2. If that comes up with an error, that's because the Pixel 2 IMEI is currently tied to an active SIM (being used in the Pixel 3).
    Boy really confusing if Tracfone rep told me the wrong thing. So are you saying I should still try the above?

Boom Mobile does not have an online checker but I just chatted and asked if the Pixel 2 IMEI could be used on their system. He came back after a couple of minutes and said it could. Does this not mean anything?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast