Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Google Voice forward

Device(s)
    LG Google Nexus 5x, Samsung Note 5
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, Ultra Mobile
    Feedback Score

Google Voice forward

I think I am ready to make the jump and port in my permanent number to Google Voice and forward to disposable SIMs with promos, deals etc. so not to fool around with possible loss of my main number.
    My questions are –
    From this type of setup is there any kind of voice quality degradation on either end? Latency? Any type of noticeable difference sound wise?
    My only experience with non native voice was on Freedompop, so you can understand my hesitation.
    Any advice, comments, experience appreciated.

Device(s)
    LG Ultimate 2 L41C, HTC Evo 4G, Photon Mifi
    Carrier(s)
    Pageplus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Of course your performance will only be as good as the WiFi or Mobile signal you have at that moment.

I have not heard too much bad about using Google hangouts. It's pretty efficient in poor data situations.

YYMV! Of course...

Sent from my iRulu Geoking Max 3 G36 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lchan120 View Post
    I think I am ready to make the jump and port in my permanent number to Google Voice and forward to disposable SIMs with promos, deals etc. so not to fool around with possible loss of my main number.
    My questions are –
    From this type of setup is there any kind of voice quality degradation on either end? Latency? Any type of noticeable difference sound wise?
    My only experience with non native voice was on Freedompop, so you can understand my hesitation.
    If you're forwarding your GV # to a native cellular #, you won't notice much difference.

I use my GV #s over data only with Hangouts, which is most comparable to using the FP Messaging VoIP, and there is latency, but not enough to bother me, although I know it bothers others

You shouldn't experience that with the forwarding method.

Device(s)
    Samsung S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lchan120 View Post
    My questions are –
    Works good for me. Since my MVNO (Total Wireless) doesn't do Wi-Fi calling, it's especially useful. Also, when traveling outside the U.S., and using prepaid foreign SIM cards I can still make and receive calls from my main number (and SMS).

Device(s)
    BB 8320
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I'm transitioning from GV over Wi-Fi to GV over the native dialer (due to WAF issues of call quality). If I ever get to the point of VoLTE and "HD Voice" quality when using the native dialer, will layering GV over that hurt my quality?

Related question (and mostly now academic for me): Has GV over Wi-Fi ever been purported to provide HD Voice quality? Thank you.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CAL7 View Post
    I'm transitioning from GV over Wi-Fi to GV over the native dialer (due to WAF issues of call quality). If I ever get to the point of VoLTE and "HD Voice" quality when using the native dialer, will layering GV over that hurt my quality?
    SWMBO WAF factor, I know it well. ;~>

I have been using GV through my native cell number/service for years. I don't notice it being any worse than the cell service without GV.

Related question (and mostly now academic for me): Has GV over Wi-Fi ever been purported to provide HD Voice quality? Thank you.
    AFAIK, GV uses POTS quality G.711 codec. That is a 8 kHz sampling rate capable of a max audio frequency of ~4 KHz. HD Voice uses G.722 (AMR-WB) codec with a 16 KHz sampling rate capable of ~8 KHz audio.

That said, G.711 sounds very good compared to traditional, old-style, low-bitrate, compressed, cell audio. I recall the first time I made a GV Wifi call with Hangouts thinking, "Wow this sounds great." I have HD Voice on my cellphone and don't notice any difference.

That said again, GV over Wifi has a much longer audio delay latency compared to a landline or cell call. I have measured it on my Wifi at 600 ms round-trip. 600 ms is at the upper end of perceived good call quality. Much more than that and it starts sounding like talking to someone on the Moon - Rodger over. This is not unique to GV VOIP. All the other VOIP services I have used were about the same. This is due to the packets being routed over the general Internet rather than a telco network optimized for voice calls.

Two wimmen talking probably will not be happy with 600 ms delay. I don't notice.

Feedback Score
    over more than 10 years i have help many people get setup with grandcentral(before google buyout) and google voice. 95% quit after a short time. a few complained of voice quality but mostly it was if even very slight the additional chunkiness of using a app other the the built in native dialler and message app on their phone. i have found most people just function best with the built in native capabilities of there phone.

the exceptions have been 3 groups people. 1. those who simply can't afford cell service and use GV(via hangouts) as a wifi only phoning solution. 2. people who keep their GV number strictly as a secondary phone number for a limited purposes a/k/a 'burner line' 3. a few people whom use it a primary phone number such as myself have all taken the initiative to do it all themselves all i did was casually mention GV and they did all the research and setup on there own and even these mostly fall into the above 2 categories as well.

that said i have been very happy using GV as my primary line but i will say native HD calling via t-mobile does provide a superior voice quality experience at least cell - 2 - cell. GV for me has always been excellent for calling landlines and a bit low quality when calling verizon phones that are not on VoLTE(t-mobile to the same Verizon phones has also resulted in crappy quality for me as well.) but it has never bothered me so much as to avoid usage.

Feedback Score
    I anticipate this situation in the near future, I will be travelling overseas. I will be using a local SIM with my iPhone. The thing is, I anticipate that this SIM will have more robust calling coverage compared to the cellular data coverage it provides. I would prefer to use cellular minutes as opposed to cellular data when using this SIM.

The GV number is my main number and currently it forwards to my cell phone (service provided via Verizon Prepaid)

Is there any way to put an international SIM (with an international number) in my iPhone and still use CARRIER MINUTES (and not cellular data) when using GV with this SIM? For receiving calls, I plan to forward my GV number to a Callcentric number which will then use Call Treatments to ring my international SIM number. So, the receiving part has a solution. The problem is in making calls... I can't figure out if there is a solution to this? Any ideas? I am willing to pay if there is a solution. Thanks. Note that I use the GV app on my iPhone, so I can tinker with any settings in the GV app. I MUST HAVE my GV number to go out as the Caller ID when using this international SIM.

(I understand that GV uses a small amount of data to generate/fetch a "shadow number" before using cellular minutes to call out this fake number. Ignore this for my Q)

EDITED TO ADD: I think there is a solution, but involves multi stage dialing. I can call my GV number using this international SIM. Once I am in my GV account, I can ask GV to dial a number for me... I wonder if GV allows this kind of multi stage calling? If so, that's cool! But is there a single stage dialing solution?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dbdoshi View Post
    I anticipate this situation in the near future, I will be travelling overseas. I will be using a local SIM with my iPhone. The thing is, I anticipate that this SIM will have more robust calling coverage compared to the cellular data coverage it provides. I would prefer to use cellular minutes as opposed to cellular data when using this SIM.

The GV number is my main number and currently it forwards to my cell phone (service provided via Verizon Prepaid)

Is there any way to put an international SIM (with an international number) in my iPhone and still use CARRIER MINUTES (and not cellular data) when using GV with this SIM? For receiving calls, I plan to forward my GV number to a Callcentric number which will then use Call Treatments to ring my international SIM number. So, the receiving part has a solution. The problem is in making calls... I can't figure out if there is a solution to this? Any ideas? I am willing to pay if there is a solution. Thanks. Note that I use the GV app on my iPhone, so I can tinker with any settings in the GV app. I MUST HAVE my GV number to go out as the Caller ID when using this international SIM.

(I understand that GV uses a small amount of data to generate/fetch a "shadow number" before using cellular minutes to call out this fake number. Ignore this for my Q)

EDITED TO ADD: I think there is a solution, but involves multi stage dialing. I can call my GV number using this international SIM. Once I am in my GV account, I can ask GV to dial a number for me... I wonder if GV allows this kind of multi stage calling? If so, that's cool! But is there a single stage dialing solution?
    This is just one way. Will require some prep but will make subsequent calls a breeze.

Dial the US fone no from ur GV app. It will first show the GV equiv number. Then use ur phone/carrier to dial that phone number.

If you don’t have a gazillion US fone numbers that u have to cal, this works really well. Save the Gv equiv no in ur contacts so u can use it more quickly next time (i.e., without having to go through Gv all again to find out that no. ).

I’ve been doing this since 2009 so I have a lot of GV nos saved in my contacts. GV and non-GV nos saved separately to avoid confusion. Examples:
    Archie mobile
    Archie mobile GV
    Betty home
    Betty home GV

When contacts sync across my iPhones, I can dial the GV nos even on fones that don’t have WiFi or cell data bc I can directly dial d GV nos (from contacts).

Feedback Score
    You sure that works? Don't I need to dial say, "Betty's GV Number" from one of the REGISTERED PHONES (or more accurately, one of the registered phone numbers) in my GV account for GV to bridge the call to Betty? Doesn't GV need the incoming caller ID (in my case, it will be an international phone number on this temporary SIM) to find the GV account to use and subsequently match Betty's fake GV number to her real number so that it can terminate the call correctly? And currently there is no way to associate/register an international phone number with a GV account.

Feedback Score

Google Voice forward

Quote Originally Posted by dbdoshi View Post
    You sure that works? Don't I need to dial say, "Betty's GV Number" from one of the REGISTERED PHONES (or more accurately, one of the registered phone numbers) in my GV account for GV to bridge the call to Betty? Doesn't GV need the incoming caller ID (in my case, it will be an international phone number on this temporary SIM) to find the GV account to use and subsequently match Betty's fake GV number to her real number so that it can terminate the call correctly? And currently there is no way to associate/register an international phone number with a GV account.
    No. U don’t have to use the linked fone number for ur GVN to appear as d caller ID on ur called party ‘s fone.

When u cal a fine number from u GV app, GV assigns a fone number to that. When u dial that GVN, it will call that fone number showing ur GV as caller If regardless of which fone or fone # ur calling from.

Example:
    Archie mobile 1234567890
    Archie mobile GV 3456789012

I can use anyone’s fone (their numbers are not in my GV’s linked numbers). The caller party will see my GVN as caller Id.

Pretty neat.

Don’t u have unlinked phones around u? Try it and see.

Edit:
    How do I know? This is my 11th yr
    Using my GV numbers.

———-
    UPDATE: 1/30/20, 8:50 am

I’m sorry. I just tried it now. It doesn’t work anymore. Google must have closed that loophole within the last year or so.

It used to work the way I described it. I remember because I used my unlinked work phones to call people and they’d see my GV number. I also gave my FIL my aunt’s “number” (gave him d Gv equiv) and it was my GVN that showed up on her fone.

Grrr Google shutting off loopholes. I remember that for a year or two
    (2009-2010), i can get the GV equivalents of foreign numbers. I call those USA GVNs and their overseas fones ring. Ah, interesting times.
    Last edited by Maru; 01-30-2020 at 09:53 AM.

Feedback Score
    @dbdoshi

Regarding your plan to call ur GV # using ur international SIM and call a USA number using the 2 option,

Yes, that’s doable.

Many years ago, before it was possible to find out the GV equivalent number of a fone number without first receiving a text message, I used to do the call GV-option 2 method.

You make it a bit less tedious by creating a separate entry in your contacts where you add a very long prefix to the phone number.

1. GV number
    2. long pause while I wait for VM to kick in (depending on ur fone, a long pause could be indicated by inserting several “p”. It varies. You’ll have to experiment with ur fone.
    3. *
    4. pause
    5. PIN #
    6. pause
    7. linked forwarding number #
    8. *
    9. 2
    10. Number u want to call #

It’s a lot longer now. In the olden days, the prompt didn’t ask for the forwarding number when calling from an unlinked phone number.

Anyway, once you’ve figured out what ur long prefix is, u can add it to the USA numbers u want to cal and save in ur contacts. That way, the next time u call, u don’t have to manually enter everything.

———
    I haven’t tested what d prompt will ask if there’s no forwarding/linked number.

Feedback Score
    Thanks. It works as per your instructions. Appreciate your write-up.

I am thinking of creating a contact with my international SIM number in my GV contacts. Then, create a group with this one contact. Then, send any calls received from this GV group straight to VM (I think it is available in GV's Circles & Groups settings if I remember). That should cut down on the wait that normally happens before incoming calls are picked up by GV's VM.

This will only work if the international SIM properly sends the correct Caller ID to GV. I have seen certain incoming international calls show a US based Caller iD.. We shall see...

Feedback Score
    There is another way you could do what you want that could also be less expensive. Use your mobile browser and login to google voice's website then choose 'Legacy Google Voice' From the hamburger drop down menu. Then choose "CALL", enter the number you want to call and under the 'Phone To Call With" select the Callcentric number that forwards to your foreign number. I believe that should connect you over cellular rather than VOIP and display your Google Voice number as the caller ID to the recipient.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JTEX View Post
    There is another way you could do what you want that could also be less expensive. Use your mobile browser and login to google voice's website then choose 'Legacy Google Voice' From the hamburger drop down menu. Then choose "CALL", enter the number you want to call and under the 'Phone To Call With" select the Callcentric number that forwards to your foreign number. I believe that should connect you over cellular rather than VOIP and display your Google Voice number as the caller ID to the recipient.
    You can also do this Callback on an iPhone using an app - GVConnect.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast