Thread: CBRS Authorized for Full Commercial Deployment by FCC

Device(s)
    iPhone, iPad, Netgear Nighthawk mobile hotspot
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score

CBRS Authorized for Full Commercial Deployment by FCC

https://www.globenewswire.com/news-r...-Services.html
    With this announcement, Spectrum Access System (SAS) administrators CommScope, Federated Wireless, Google and Sony are fully approved to operate commercial services in the band.
    Looks like Verizon is gonna turn on Band 48 on all those preinstalled cell sites now!

Feedback Score
    I thought they had permission to do this since September

Device(s)
    iPhone, iPad, Netgear Nighthawk mobile hotspot
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I think they were only authorized to conduct tests and to install Band 48 in devices and cell sites, but not to actually activate it for customer usage.

Device(s)
    Verizon Galaxy S6
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I doubt it, they are taking their sweet time in even activating LAA. Whatever happened to gigabit lte... smh.
    Quote Originally Posted by VVivian View Post
    https://www.globenewswire.com/news-r...-Services.html

Looks like Verizon is gonna turn on Band 48 on all those preinstalled cell sites now!
    Sent from my Galaxy S10+ using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WiredGuy View Post
    I doubt it, they are taking their sweet time in even activating LAA. Whatever happened to gigabit lte... smh.

Sent from my Galaxy S10+ using HoFo mobile app
    Considering the power limits on band 46 it going to have a range of mmwave or even less so it make sense to only deploy it in areas where you're already deploying mmwave. I'm not saying that is the strategy but I can see how it could be, And yes unlicensed CBRS will also have power limits it's not to the same effect and I can see them deploying that on regular cell towers. Also with the licensed CBRS going on auction in June and that spectrum should be available to use by the end of the year Verizon will definitely want to get that out quickly. Especially since basically phones coming will now come will have band 48

Feedback Score
    If you hold your phone up against the antenna (and take off your case), you're going to get blazing speeds!

(If it's not raining)

Just kidding, I hope it works out...

Feedback Score

CBRS Authorized for Full Commercial Deployment by FCC

I saw some speeds on Twitter of Verizon hitting 300 Mbps plus in Miami on LTE near hard rock stadium. It’s either LAA, CBRS, or both. Verizon doesn’t have enough spectrum down there to hit speeds that high unless some extra CA is being deployed with unlicensed spectrum.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by barryspar View Post
    If you hold your phone up against the antenna (and take off your case), you're going to get blazing speeds!

(If it's not raining)

Just kidding, I hope it works out...
    should be similar to Sprint's 2.5 GHz which everyone is raving about.

Feedback Score
    So which CBRS bands are available now for each carrier? How soon can they be activated? And which will be part of the auction?

Wondering how soon iPhone 11’s on VZW will start to see it?

Will they be “shared” by multiple carriers? Or will there be auctions and hoarding like usual?

Hopefully VZW gets off their A$$ and ponies up some real dough

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile, Cricket Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Looks like the XR doesn't support that band. Bummer.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JSchnee21 View Post
    So which CBRS bands are available now for each carrier? How soon can they be activated? And which will be part of the auction?

Wondering how soon iPhone 11’s on VZW will start to see it?

Will they be “shared” by multiple carriers? Or will there be auctions and hoarding like usual?

Hopefully VZW gets off their A$$ and ponies up some real dough
    CBRS comprises of 150 MHz of spectrum from 3550 MHz to 3700 MHz. The lower 80 MHz part that is unlicensed and can be used now. Anyone can use it and not just carriers, but is has to be accessed using “spectrum access systems” operated by CommScope, Federated Wireless, Google, and Sony. Verizon for example will use Federated Wireless and Google. The “spectrum access systems” make sure no one is hogging all the bandwidth and also makes sure in coastal areas where the Navy still uses CBRS for radar that if necessary they get priority.

The remaining 70 MHz will be auctioned off in June and the companies that win any of this spectrum will have exclusive rights to use it and I believe the power levels allowed are much higher too. No one company can win more than 40 MHz. I'm pretty sure that Verizon will do it's best to win 40 MHz nationwide. I can't see Verizon being happy with just 20 MHz. I'm sure at&t will get the other 30 MHz so T-Mobile better hope they win that lawsuit. I'm sure Dish and other companies will also participate. This part of the CBRS spectrum should be available to use by this time next year

This is from an article in October 2018. So 15 months ago.

DALLAS—Verizon said it’s ready to deploy 3.5 GHz CBRS services now, and it expects to initially use the band for outdoor coverage.

Verizon’s Bill Stone, VP of the carrier’s technology planning and development, provided additional insights into the operator’s 3.5 GHz plans here at the FierceWireless Next Gen Wireless Networks Summit.

Added Stone, “We are ready to go when the FCC gives us the green light.”

Further, Stone explained that Verizon views the 3.5 GHz band initially as an “outdoor play” that the carrier will enable largely through the small cells it is deploying in cities across the country.

Feedback Score
    Awesome, thx!

Device(s)
    Apple IPhone XS Max
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T 4.5g LTE-Advanced Pro
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jtbky View Post
    Looks like the XR doesn't support that band. Bummer.
    Only the new iPhone 11”s do
    Two great smartphone apps to find cell towers and map actual coverage areas
    1. Cellmapper
    2. OpenSignal
    If You're With AT&T Wireless as your Cell Provider, Use the "AT&T Mark The Spot App" to report an issues with your service, like, no connection, slow speeds, no coverage, drop calls...etc

Feedback Score
    Yeah. My wife and son have the 11. But I have the XSM - so no CBRS for me.

No worries, planning on getting the 12 or 13 once Apple switches back to Qualcomm and hopefully includes C-Block.