Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Total Wireless Unlock

Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score

Total Wireless Unlock

I have a iPhone XR that I just got done paying off. Iíve only had it four months. I know that TWs policy is to keep it active for 12 months before they sill unlock it. But I wanted to ask on here has anyone had any success in paying to unlock a TW phone?

I just bought there iPhone 11 and I want to resell my TW iPhone XR. It would be more valuable unlocked

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    From what I understand, if you pay to unlock it, the phone will be still in the Tracfone database for needing to be unlocked, and it will not work on Verizon system because the IMEI will not be clear.

Feedback Score
    I've been a user of TracFone/Straight Talk/ Simple Mobile / Total Wireless for almost twenty years now. One simply doesm't have "Carlos Slim" and "unlock" in the same sentence unless " laugh" is almost thrown into there as well. Simply being, anyone who chooses to entangle themselves into the Uncle Carlos ecosystem chooses to sacrifice several things, including the ability to get a phone unlocked.

Feedback Score
    No unlock from the Tracfone Wireless companies unless the original 12 month service requirement is met. These are subsidized phones, and the 12 month service requirement is the price you pay in the long run. Never buy any provider branded phone if you want the freedom to take it somewhere else without locking issues.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryJane197 View Post
    I have a iPhone XR that I just got done paying off. Iíve only had it four months. I know that TWs policy is to keep it active for 12 months before they sill unlock it. But I wanted to ask on here has anyone had any success in paying to unlock a TW phone?

I just bought there iPhone 11 and I want to resell my TW iPhone XR. It would be more valuable unlocked
    What do you mean by "paying off"? WHO were you paying for those 4 months? Was the phone specifically a TW phone?

Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    What do you mean by "paying off"? WHO were you paying for those 4 months? Was the phone specifically a TW phone?
    You can finance phones through SmartPay for Total Wireless. Thatís who I paid off. I now own the iPhone. So thatís why I thought maybe I could get it unlocked before 12 months. Also if you straight up buy a phone from TW is it still sim locked? Are all there phones sim locked no matter what?

Feedback Score
    You can finance phones through SmartPay for Total Wireless. Thatís who I paid off. I now own the iPhone. So thatís why I thought maybe I could get it unlocked before 12 months. Also if you straight up buy a phone from TW is it still sim locked? Are all there phones sim locked no matter what?
    Thanks for the clarification. I never bought a phone like that, so I'm just not familiar with how it works.

Was the price you paid the same as the subsidized price would have been if you purchased it outright from TW? If yes, it's most likely SIM locked until you reach 12 months of paid service.

I don't think a reliable way to unlock a SIM locked Tracfone-related phone has ever been found. But I'm 99.99% sure that a locked TW iPhone can be unlocked and used on any carrier/MVNO after 12 months of paid service.

One way to test if your phone is SIM locked is to put a non-Tracfone-related SIM card in and see if you get a locked message. If you don't see such a message, it's probably not SIM locked.

Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the clarification. I never bought a phone like that, so I'm just not familiar with how it works.

Was the price you paid the same as the subsidized price would have been if you purchased it outright from TW? If yes, it's most likely SIM locked until you reach 12 months of paid service.

I don't think a reliable way to unlock a SIM locked Tracfone-related phone has ever been found. But I'm 99.99% sure that a locked TW iPhone can be unlocked and used on any carrier/MVNO after 12 months of paid service.

One way to test if your phone is SIM locked is to put a non-Tracfone-related SIM card in and see if you get a locked message. If you don't see such a message, it's probably not SIM locked.
    No I paid more for it than the finance part. But I did pay it off early. I put a T-Mobile sim in it and it says invalid sim to activate or something along those lines. The iPhone 11 I just bought I paid for it up front. They had a 25% off coupon and it was for sale for 599.00. I got a hundred off of that phone so it was basically 500 I paid before taxes. Thatís why I bought it. The unlocked iPhone 11 from Apple would have costed me almost 900 dollars tax and all.

Feedback Score
    No I paid more for it than the finance part. But I did pay it off early. I put a T-Mobile sim in it and it says invalid sim to activate or something along those lines. The iPhone 11 I just bought I paid for it up front. They had a 25% off coupon and it was for sale for 599.00. I got a hundred off of that phone so it was basically 500 I paid before taxes. Thatís why I bought it. The unlocked iPhone 11 from Apple would have costed me almost 900 dollars tax and all.
    $599 minus 25% would be $449.25.

But either way, it sounds like you got a subsidized price, if the regular retail price would have been $900. In exchange for paying half price (according to your figures above), the phone is locked to TW for 12 months of continuous service.

Device(s)
    Samsung S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless
    Feedback Score

I bought a Samsung phone outright from TW. It was never locked. I thought that I was going to have to wait a year but that was not the case. At least it worked outside the U.S., I didn't try it on any other U.S. carriers.

Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    $599 minus 25% would be $449.25.

But either way, it sounds like you got a subsidized price, if the regular retail price would have been $900. In exchange for paying half price (according to your figures above), the phone is locked to TW for 12 months of continuous service.
    Well I bought my plan card with it. But yes I thought it was a good deal. Even if I have to wait a year.

Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianAngela View Post
    I bought a Samsung phone outright from TW. It was never locked. I thought that I was going to have to wait a year but that was not the case. At least it worked outside the U.S., I didn't try it on any other U.S. carriers.
    Oh really? Well hopefully when I get my iPhone 11 it will be unlocked. I plan to let my nephew have my iPhone XR with a line on TW. So after a year I will try to get it unlocked.

Feedback Score
    Well I bought my plan card with it. But yes I thought it was a good deal. Even if I have to wait a year.
    It definitely sounds like you got it for a nice discount, so that's good.

Feedback Score
    My daughter's iPhones bought from TW were locked for 12 months of service. Every iPhone bought from them will be like that. Only when you buy directly from Apple you get an unlocked iPhone (that's what I did eventually for my daughter).
    After that 12 months I have requested the unlock online and it happend in minutes. The "lock" on iPhones is on Apple servers.

Also, people keep confusing "phone unlocking" with "SIM marrying". Those are two unrelated issues.
    1. You can UNLOCK the phone for use with any other provider.
    2. If the next person wants to activate the phone on another Tracfone company, it's much easier to activate the phone if you give him the current SIM card (that one that is married to the IMEI).

Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SoNic67 View Post
    My daughter's iPhones bought from TW were locked for 12 months of service. Every iPhone bought from them will be like that. Only when you buy directly from Apple you get an unlocked iPhone (that's what I did eventually for my daughter).
    After that 12 months I have requested the unlock online and it happend in minutes. The "lock" on iPhones is on Apple servers.

Also, people keep confusing "phone unlocking" with "SIM marrying". Those are two unrelated issues.
    1. You can UNLOCK the phone for use with any other provider.
    2. If the next person wants to activate the phone on another Tracfone company, it's much easier to activate the phone if you give him the current SIM card (that one that is married to the IMEI).
    Thank you for that website address. I could not find it although it was referred to in the unlocking policy.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast