Phone
    iPhone 4s
    Carrier
    ATT
    Feedback Score

Assistance with a logical buying decision (11 or 9/SE2)

I am in a quandary. Should I but an Apple 11 or wait for this Apple 9? I don't see the benefit except a larger screen and longer lasting battery. The rumors are it will have an Apple 11 camera.

Feedback Score
    I’m curious whether the 9/SE2 will have the dual SIM - that is something I want. Either way - I still have a hard time with the thought of paying near $400 let alone the higher price tag of the 11. Also, I want the smaller screen size the 9/SE2 should have relative to the non-pro 11.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Phone
    iPhone 11, iPhone SE, iPhone 6s
    Carrier
    Boom Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VTtraveller View Post
    I’m curious whether the 9/SE2 will have the dual SIM - that is something I want. Either way - I still have a hard time with the thought of paying near $400 let alone the higher price tag of the 11. Also, I want the smaller screen size the 9/SE2 should have relative to the non-pro 11.

I hadn't thought about the eSim on the 9, or remember seeing unfounded speculation about this issue

I wonder whether countries like India are big with dual sim phones like some countries like China are. Though in China they are selling true dual sim iPhone models. But china also likes the big screens, which may be contributing to the larger screens on this fall's phones.
    iPhone 11 is my current primary phone. But I have more phones than lines. Back to only Prepaid with the changes in the economy.

Phone
    iPhone 4s
    Carrier
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    I am not looking for a dual sim but the best size vs. value. If the Iphone 9 has the 13 chip and more ram it might perform close to the Iphone 11. Besides the bigger screen and possible camera upgrade what would make me run out and get the 11?

Feedback Score
    Current rumors are that the new "9" will have 3 GB of RAM (like the 8), whereas all the 11 series have 4 GB. That extra GB will be a godsend one or two iOS versions later.

Phone
    iPhone 11, iPhone SE, iPhone 6s
    Carrier
    Boom Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by D0lphin View Post
    I am not looking for a dual sim but the best size vs. value. If the Iphone 9 has the 13 chip and more ram it might perform close to the Iphone 11. Besides the bigger screen and possible camera upgrade what would make me run out and get the 11?
    If happy with touch id and screen size from what the rumors have published, if you would prefer to save the money then the 9 would be fine.

I went with the 11 vs the 11 Pro because I didn't want to spend the extra money at this time. Not because I couldn't afford it.

There may be some other minor things missing. I think the SE, for instance, missed the stair climbing sensor that the 6s had.

Phone
    Samsung S9+
    Carrier
    Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VTtraveller View Post

The smaller iPhones have not had the dual SIM, and the larger iPhones have only had the dual SIM on the models sold in China.

Or are you talking about one physical SIM and one eSIM? That is pretty likely.

I'd have loved a dual physical SIM model for travelling, though it's less of an issue for me now because I ported my main mobile number to Google Voice when I switched from T-Mobile to Total Wireless. So now, when I travel outside the U.S., I buy a prepaid SIM (or use my Vodafone SIM for the EU) but can still receive calls on my U.S. number. T-Mobile's included international low-speed data and SMS, and 20¢/minute calls was okay, but the data was very slow, and the calls were still too expensive.

What I would want on the SE2/9 more than anything is TouchID, though it may also be back on the 12 or 13. FaceID is okay, but less secure than TouchID, and in some countries FaceID is really a pain. Even before the Coronavirus, people in China often wore masks due to air pollution, and people in Japan and Korea wear masks when they have a cold. Now you have the fires in Australia where people wear masks, and ditto for when California has wildfires.

Phone
    Samsung S9+
    Carrier
    Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kevink1 View Post
    I hadn't thought about the eSim on the 9, or remember seeing unfounded speculation about this issue

I wonder whether countries like India are big with dual sim phones like some countries like China are. Though in China they are selling true dual sim iPhone models. But china also likes the big screens, which may be contributing to the larger screens on this fall's phones.
    Exactly. Several things about the Chinese market are different than other places, but dual SIM is extremely important so Apple finally capitulated after their China marketing people begged them for years for dual-SIM. A small screen iPhone would not sell well in China so I doubt if the 9/SE2 would get dual physical SIM. They love the big screens in China, I've seen 8" phones in China (really Dual-SIM tablets that can be used as a phone). The Huawei Mate 20x is 7.2".

Phone
    iPhone 7 256gig (me), iPhone 7 32gig (wife)
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianAngela View Post
    ... though it's less of an issue for me now because I ported my main mobile number to Google Voice when I switched from ...
    My son does the same (lives in the EU at the moment). His only problem are the banks and others who use SMS for 2FA. SOME can call his phone, some cannot even use a GV number for that. How do you handle your 2FA needs?

Phone
    Apple iPhone 11 Pro Max / Apple iPhone 7
    Carrier
    Pacific Bell Wireless / Verizon Wireless / AT&T MX / Movistar MX / Telcel MX
    Feedback Score
    I am in a quandary. Should I but an Apple 11 or wait for this Apple 9? I don't see the benefit except a larger screen and longer lasting battery. The rumors are it will have an Apple 11 camera.
    If you can get the Apple 9 for less and possibility the same camera then the 9 is the way to go. My understanding is that the 11 is the top of the line (until the 12 arrives). It would wait to see what the specs are for the 9 vs 11 and if it's close or certain features from the 11 aren't important, and the 9 is slightly less then I would get the 9.

Phone
    Samsung S9+
    Carrier
    Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gbynum View Post
    My son does the same (lives in the EU at the moment). His only problem are the banks and others who use SMS for 2FA. SOME can call his phone, some cannot even use a GV number for that. How do you handle your 2FA needs?
    Yes, I've run into this, but very rarely. Most of the credit cards and bank accounts I have will send 2FA to the GV number. In the cases when they won't, I have them SMS my native number, but of course that won't work with a U.S. number in EU unless the native number has roaming.

Phone
    iPhone 4s
    Carrier
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by i0wnj00 View Post
    If you can get the Apple 9 for less and possibility the same camera then the 9 is the way to go. My understanding is that the 11 is the top of the line (until the 12 arrives). It would wait to see what the specs are for the 9 vs 11 and if it's close or certain features from the 11 aren't important, and the 9 is slightly less then I would get the 9.
    I can get a mint iphone 8 from back market with an one year warranty for around 320. I am not a shutterbug and like the smaller form. Then I can update the phone to IOS 13 and the watch to current watch 06. Buy cheap and see what comes later in 2020! Sounds reasonable

Phone
    Samsung S9+
    Carrier
    Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I can get a mint iphone 8 from back market with an one year warranty for around 320. I am not a shutterbug and like the smaller form. Then I can update the phone to IOS 13 and the watch to current watch 06. Buy cheap and see what comes later in 2020! Sounds reasonable
    On my MVNO, Total Wireless, the 64GB iPhone 8 is $349.99 new, $299.99 used. But I think it's locked for a year to Total Wireless (or other Verizon Tracfone services like Page Plus).

Waiting for the iPhone 9/SE2 makes the most sense since it'll only be a month or two, and reportedly it will sell for around $400. The iPhone 8 will be worth about $200 or so then. Remember, the iPhone 9 is an attempt to get all the people that have sticking with their iPhone 6s, 7, and 8 to finally upgrade since they are stubbornly sticking to their smaller phones.

The iPhone 9 is going to be enormously popular. I think that Apple cares less about making bank from the phone and more about getting people to sign up for services.
    Last edited by CanadianAngela; 02-05-2020 at 04:15 PM.

Feedback Score
    I'd go for the SE2 !
    I love the SE's smaller screen and price.