Thread: T-Mobile Preps mmWave 5G & More in Miami for the Super Bowl

BTA-44: MTA-29: MSA-41: PEA-40: CMA-41: BEA-78: MEA-24
    Device(s)
    Galaxy S10+ (unlocked), Galaxy S8, LG K7, iPhone 6S, iPhone 6, iPhone 4S, iPhone 4, iPhone 3G
    Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score

T-Mobile Preps mmWave 5G & More in Miami for the Super Bowl

https://www.lightreading.com/mobile/.../d/d-id/757058

MIAMI -- As pro football gets set to crown its latest champion, T-Mobile has put the final touches on its network in Miami to make sure customers have an incredible mobile experience. Over the last year, T-Mobile permanently boosted network capacity at venues throughout Miami so customers can share their game day moments in real time. T-Mobile and Metro by T-Mobile customers already have the biggest 5G network in Miami. And now, customers with capable 5G smartphones can get a speed boost from millimeter wave 5G in places like Hard Rock Stadium and Bayfront Park.

"All these network upgrades mean T-Mobile customers in and around the city can snap, share and stream from the big game with great coverage and serious speed," said Neville Ray, President of Technology at T-Mobile. "And long after the Super Bowl has come and gone, T-Mobile customers will continue to have the biggest 5G footprint in Miami and across the rest of America with the ONLY nationwide 5G network. And we’re just getting started! If the merger with Sprint is approved, we’ll build on this 5G foundation to deliver transformational broad and deep 5G for all."

With 150,000 people predicted to travel to Miami for Super Bowl LIV events, T-Mobile focused network enhancements where the biggest crowds will be, including Hard Rock Stadium, Miami Beach Convention Center, Bayfront Park, Miami Beach and Miami and Fort Lauderdale airports. And almost all the updates are permanent, so Miami residents and visitors can enjoy the improvements long after the Super Bowl is over.

T-Mobile more than doubled LTE capacity at Hard Rock Stadium so customers can stream, tweet, post and chat about every big moment from the game. To enhance indoor capacity at key venues throughout Miami, T-Mobile built new distributed antenna systems (DAS) and deployed small cells throughout the city to provide additional performance boosts in places that can be difficult for towers to reach.

Almost all of Miami is covered with T-Mobile’s far reaching low-band 5G and fast LTE, so whether customers watch the game from the couch or the beach they’ll be ready to share the action. In addition to launching broad 5G coverage last month, T-Mobile has newly deployed millimeter wave 5G for customers with capable smartphones in parts of Miami, including nearly all of Bayfront Park and at Hard Rock Stadium in the lower bowl, parking lot and main entrances.
    T-Mobile US Inc.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using HoFo mobile app
    AT&T Unlimited & More w/ 2 Lines
    AT&T TV w/ HBO

(\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Feedback Score
    This is fantastic news for the citizens of South Florida and all of the tourists who go there to visit.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Thanks for sharing Shorty!

Shilo this thread is for you!
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Device(s)
    Any Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shortyd999 View Post
    https://www.lightreading.com/mobile/.../d/d-id/757058

"...T-Mobile and Metro by T-Mobile customers already have the biggest 5G network in Miami. And now, customers with capable 5G smartphones can get a speed boost from millimeter wave 5G in places like Hard Rock Stadium and Bayfront Park..."

I guess I'm confused. What devices does T-Mobile sell that can access mmWave 5G?

I get how doubling LTE capacity will help, but I'm not sure how deploying mmWave helps them this weekend...

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    --
    Todd Allcock, Microsoft MVP: Mobile Devices 2007-2011

BTA-44: MTA-29: MSA-41: PEA-40: CMA-41: BEA-78: MEA-24
    Device(s)
    Galaxy S10+ (unlocked), Galaxy S8, LG K7, iPhone 6S, iPhone 6, iPhone 4S, iPhone 4, iPhone 3G
    Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    @TheRealDanny NP and I agree with you.
    Quote Originally Posted by elecconnec View Post
    I guess I'm confused. What devices does T-Mobile sell that can access mmWave 5G?

I get how doubling LTE capacity will help, but I'm not sure how deploying mmWave helps them this weekend...

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    I think the S10 5G can be used in TMO mmWave

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Oh wait, but mmwave sucks. It's totally useless. John Legere and many here have said so.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    Oh wait, but mmwave sucks. It's totally useless. John Legere and many here have said so.
    I think it's pretty well established that mmWave sucks in 95% of applications. One of the 5% where it does well is in stadia and convention centers. This will provide superb service to the 1/2% of customers who have a Galaxy S10 5G and more importantly will give T-Mobile the ability to show pictures of Gbps download speeds during the game, which is what this is really about anyway.
    Donald Newcomb

Device(s)
    LG G7
    Carrier(s)
    Google FI
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    I think it's pretty well established that mmWave sucks in 95% of applications. One of the 5% where it does well is in stadia and convention centers. This will provide superb service to the 1/2% of customers who have a Galaxy S10 5G and more importantly will give T-Mobile the ability to show pictures of Gbps download speeds during the game, which is what this is really about anyway.
    Tmobile has planned to use mmwave from day one which is why while they have been criticizing it publicly they have been planning with vendors to build it out and being a good size player in auctions to get more. They didn't spend $800 million on it in the auction last year so they could put it in a couple of ball parks.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by offthegrid View Post
    .....They didn't spend $800 million on it in the auction last year so they could put it in a couple of ball parks.
    I don't think "a couple of ball parks" does justice to the scope of useful applications, as limited as they may be. However, ball parks happen to be the "low hanging fruit", places where a lot of people congregate at one time, there are many convenient place to mount dozens of microcells and there is just one property owner to deal with. If you look at another example, Times Square, there are dozens of property owners, each of whom want something in exchange for the use of their structures.

I seriously doubt I'll live to see T-Mobile deploy mmWave service in my suburban neighborhood. I doubt I'll see it deployed in our local high-school stadium. Even the "main drag" of my little town is doubtful. Spectrum in the 2 - 5 GHz range is much more likely. Something ranging between Sprint's EBS licenses and band-46. That, I'll credit as possible.

Device(s)
    LG G7
    Carrier(s)
    Google FI
    Feedback Score
    I don't think "a couple of ball parks" does justice to the scope of useful applications, as limited as they may be. However, ball parks happen to be the "low hanging fruit", places where a lot of people congregate at one time, there are many convenient place to mount dozens of microcells and there is just one property owner to deal with. If you look at another example, Times Square, there are dozens of property owners, each of whom want something in exchange for the use of their structures.

I seriously doubt I'll live to see T-Mobile deploy mmWave service in my suburban neighborhood. I doubt I'll see it deployed in our local high-school stadium. Even the "main drag" of my little town is doubtful. Spectrum in the 2 - 5 GHz range is much more likely. Something ranging between Sprint's EBS licenses and band-46. That, I'll credit as possible.
    I don't see anyone rolling out mmwave in the suburbs for more than a decade. In areas where AT&T and Verizon are the local telco they are just popping small cells on pole tops even on top of electric cross arms - they must have a special rig to work on those because access must be brutal. Of course that's in areas just outside of down towns where its all underground.

Verizon has 2ghz of mmwave so for them it is worth the huge time and cash investment to build out the structure for mmwave in metro areas. They'll never need to buy spectrum again. Its the same game for AT&T with less need and Tmobile especially if they merge won't need metro spectrum for a long time but they will be getting things in place also. MMwave is dirt cheap compared to sub 6 that's in place now.

The FCC just authorized CBRS so you're on point there and iphone 11's have that radio built in already along with Pixels and a couple of others.

IMO this is more about congestion than speed, while there are mobile use cases they are likely niche right now.

Feedback Score

28 GHz was sold on the county level and T-Mobile bought lot of 28 GHz in some pretty rural counties. Considering there are in fact buildout requirements I don't see the logic in wasting money on spectrum you never plan to deploy. T-Mobile could have just not bid in these areas

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

T-Mobile Preps mmWave 5G & More in Miami for the Super Bowl

Yeah I’m most looking forward to midband NR where I live. That’s probably the fastest I’ll see in my area.

It’ll be cool to test out mmWave in large urban areas where it’s practical and economically feasible to build out.

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by @TheRealDanny View Post
    Thanks for sharing Shorty!

Shilo this thread is for you!
    I have always said that mmWave would be useful in sports arena, large outdoor events and with small cells inside malls and airports or inside large convention centers. Miami is not a pedestrian area since it is too hot most of the year to be walking around outside where mmWave doesn’t have obstruction that blocks mmWave. MmWave is just not practical for most of South Florida for cell phones since the spectrum doesn’t even have the ability to penetrate glass.

I still see mmWave biggest use is for fixed wireless home internet service with external antennas. I also see a good use for mmWave being used as point to point backhaul to fixed small cells.