Thread: Which AT&T based MVNO has the best customer service?

Device(s)
    Nokia N73
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Which AT&T based MVNO has the best customer service?

I tried signing up with AT&T Prepaid for their $300/year deal but the nightmare I've gone through in attempting to activate it has made me decide against going with them at all. I've tried calling four different numbers and have not been able to speak with a real person after running into a roadblock trying to do it online. Are there any AT&T based MVNOs that actually have good, US based customer support where I can speak with a real person on the phone quickly? I don't care if I have to pay more for it, it's worth it. I need a plan with unlimited talk/text and minimum 6GB data, preferably with rollover.

I know Red Pocket has awful customer service because a family member had them a few years back so I'm not considering them, I haven't read good things about Cricket either.

It needs to be AT&T based because I live in San Diego and Verizon's service has been crippled in certain areas due to new towers in Mexico operating on the same spectrum band. I'm not considering T-Mobile or Sprint due to poor coverage.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by C00LAS1CE View Post
    I tried signing up with AT&T Prepaid for their $300/year deal but the nightmare I've gone through in attempting to activate it has made me decide against going with them at all. I've tried calling four different numbers and have not been able to speak with a real person after running into a roadblock trying to do it online. Are there any AT&T based MVNOs that actually have good, US based customer support where I can speak with a real person on the phone quickly? I don't care if I have to pay more for it, it's worth it. I need a plan with unlimited talk/text and minimum 6GB data, preferably with rollover.

I know Red Pocket has awful customer service because a family member had them a few years back so I'm not considering them, I haven't read good things about Cricket either.

It needs to be AT&T based because I live in San Diego and Verizon's service has been crippled in certain areas due to new towers in Mexico operating on the same spectrum band. I'm not considering T-Mobile or Sprint due to poor coverage.
    Red Pocket has very good customer service in my experience when I used their service myself in 2016/2017 and when I was dealing with them two times in 2019 for lines for others. But I'm not sure where their customer service personnel is located, and most of my interaction with RP CSRs was via chat. It would be interesting to hear the full details about what happened with your relative.

That said, I'm aware of two AT&T MVNOs with US based CSRs. www.puretalkusa.com and www.boom.us. Hopefully their customer service meets your expectations.

Device(s)
    Nokia N73
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    Red Pocket has very good customer service in my experience when I used their service myself in 2016/2017 and when I was dealing with them two times in 2019 for lines for others. But I'm not sure where their customer service personnel is located, and most of my interaction with RP CSRs was via chat. It would be interesting to hear the full details about what happened with your relative.

That said, I'm aware of two AT&T MVNOs with US based CSRs. www.puretalkusa.com and www.boom.us. Hopefully their customer service meets your expectations.
    I'm not a fan of the online chat because it usually takes much longer than speaking with someone over the phone (I would assume because they're helping multiple people at once). I wouldn't consider Red Pocket because of the experience my family member had with them, unfortunately I don't remember the details because it was a few years ago but I think a big part of it was not being able to speak with someone over the phone and it was enough to make them switch to another carrier.

I currently have Boom for their Verizon MVNO and their customer service is great assuming you don't need to reach them outside of their relatively limited business hours. I'll check out Pure Talk though, thank you for the suggestion.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11
    Carrier(s)
    Truphone, FreeUP Mobile, FreedomPop, Google FiLTE, Consumer Cellular
    Feedback Score

Consumer Cellular has excellent customer service - you do have to be sure to request an AT&T sim, as they will default to T-Mobile otherwise.
    Trying to come up with some sort of signature line...

Feedback Score
    I've had really good luck with At&t Customer Service online but the real beauty of At&t Prepaid is that they will hold your hand at corporate stores. I've suggested At&t Prepaid to a lot of my elderly friends and it really works out well for them when they utilize this service.

Carrier(s)
    PagePlus (this month anyway)
    Feedback Score
    In my opinion PureTalk has the best customer service of all AT&T MVNOs. The only reason I switched from therm is because I don't need UT&T. The only quirk with PureTalk is that you will have an account number separate from your phone number.

Historically AirVoice had very good customer service also, but I have read here that they now have a lot of Safelink type accounts which increased their customer service demand and the quality of customer service went south. But I could be wrong on that point.
    My smartphone is a lot smarter than I am.

Feedback Score

Air Voice USED to have excellent service...

Quote Originally Posted by Relztrah View Post
    In my opinion PureTalk has the best customer service of all AT&T MVNOs. The only reason I switched from therm is because I don't need UT&T. The only quirk with PureTalk is that you will have an account number separate from your phone number.

Historically AirVoice had very good customer service also, but I have read here that they now have a lot of Safelink type accounts which increased their customer service demand and the quality of customer service went south. But I could be wrong on that point.

Yeah, HISTORICALLY is right. Air Voice ONCE upon a time had good ol' fashioned USA based Customer service and was the major reason why I used them all these years (still do albeit cs isn't the reason anymore.. ) They're just like any other Att mvno now and don't have iphone mms to boot.. lol.. nothing special anymore. They did kind of reactivate their long dormant dealer program. But I don't think they have people flocking up to sign up with them when there's much bigger choices out there on the pro front..

Device(s)
    Samsung S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless
    Feedback Score

Consumer Cellular reportedly has very good customer service. It's an MVNO, but it is post paid. And it's no bargain, you'd be at $40 plus taxes and fees, probably $50 total (in California). And if you don't explicitly ask for an AT&T SIM they're likely to send you a T-Mobile SIM.

I'd look for an MVNO with online chat. I find that it's much more effective when you can succinctly and precisely state a question in writing, in a way that they must actually find an answer, rather than reading from a script. Also easier to provide a phone number, IMEI, and a SIM card number in online chat than by voice.

Surprised about your statement about San Diego. I was recently there and had no problems on Verizon. But I was not all the way down by the Mexican border other than driving through Imperial Beach. Maybe the problems are only in the far southern reaches of San Diego County.

I've never had Sprint, but I've had T-Mobile, and the coverage was poor in a lot of California.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7, Lumia 635, Nokia 6350
    Carrier(s)
    Mint, Tello, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    One more vote for PureTalk.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone SE , Sony Ericsson TM-506
    Carrier(s)
    Consumer Cellular , Airvoice Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianAngela View Post
    Consumer Cellular reportedly has very good customer service. It's an MVNO, but it is post paid. And it's no bargain, you'd be at $40 plus taxes and fees, probably $50 total (in California).
    We've been with CC for four years and customer service has been fine every time we've had to call (including a weird provisioning problem with my wife's phone). Sometimes the wait gets a little long, but lately we haven't had to wait very long at all. Chat sometimes has a 20-minute queue, but at least I can do something else while I wait for them.

CC as a bargain is a very situational thing. My wife and I have iPhones and don't use tons of data. In fact, we do fine with 2 GB a month. UT&T, American-based and helpful CS, MMS, and we're out the door every month for $46-47. I'm sure I could find cheaper service elsewhere, but we don't need more data for our money, I don't want to lose MMS (not every MVNO has it), and if we do happen to have a weird month when we use lots more data, we get bumped to the next service tier automatically (and then billed for that; hassle factor in calling CS to return to the original tier, but, hey...). And I don't have to hassle cards or PINs or discount codes or even two different MVNOs (for different usage patterns).

Not everyone is in our situation; fine. But for fairly low-volume users, CC can be a good approximation of postpaid without the postpaid price.

Feedback Score
    @OP,

You were signing up for the AT&T $300/yr ($25/mo) deal, so presumably price is a consideration.

Then, know that quality of CS can and do vary widely. Don't base judgment on any one experience, especially if the experience is secondhand.

Best practice for dealing with CS is that if you aren't getting results, don't get frustrated. Just hang up and call back to get a different rep. If it's a reasonable request and/or a simple situation, the odds are in your favor that it will get resolved. Some patience will go a long way.

Sure, there are providers with good CS; some have recommended CC, etc. But when you are talking about at least double the cost, or another $300/yr, then unless you are absolutely sure you will need great CS, my suggestion is to suck it up, and try getting the AT&T deal again. Hang up and call back as needed.

But that's me. I can put up with crap to save $300, especially when the crap is "potentially" rather than real. Maybe you're different. But the fact that you're on HoFo at all, and you're trying to sign up for the cheapest AT&T plan, tells me that you aren't that much different.