Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: FCC’s Latest Spectrum Frontiers Auction Ends

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Greater Los Angeles
    Posts
    10,170
    Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

    FCC’s Latest Spectrum Frontiers Auction Ends

    https://www.multichannel.com/news/fc...s-auction-ends


    The FCC has closed the clock phase of its Spectrum Frontiers auction of high-band spectrum for 5G after 104 rounds, with gross bids totalling $7,561,724,774.

    That was because the net revenue requirement had been met and there was no excess demand in any category.

    The auction (auction 103) launched Dec. 10.

    The highest profile bidders in the millimeter-wave spectrum auction were Windstream (actually the debtors in possession), T-Mobile and U.S. Cellular Corp.

    The 35 qualified bidders in the auction were competing for a whopping 3,400 MHz of millimeter-wave spectrum (in the upper 37-gigahertz, 39-GHz and 47-GHz bands), the most spectrum the FCC has ever offered in an auction of any type. The spectrum — which was offered as 14,144 licenses — can be used for both fixed and mobile broadband and is was auctioned in 100-megahertz blocks in partial economic areas (PEAs).

    There will now be a follow-on auction among any of the license winners who want specific frequencies. Regardless, all winning bidders will get continuous blocks of spectrum.

    The most recent high-band ("spectrum frontiers" branded) auction, which ended last May raised $2,024,268,941 in gross proceeds after 91 rounds, but that was for approximately 700 MHz, or less than the auction 103 total.

    The FCC reminded the Auction 103 applicants that they are still subject to agency rules prohibiting certain communications relating to the auction until after the winning bidders submit down payments.

    “We’re excited to see the clock phase of this auction come to a conclusion," said CTIA SVP Scott Bergman. "Now it’s time to focus on freeing up critical mid-band spectrum so we can secure our leadership in the emerging 5G economy.”

    FCC Chairman Ajit Pai signaled Thursday he would be doing just that, scheduling a vote at the February meeting on an item to auction, by year's end, 280 MHz of midband, C-Band, spectrum.
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    1,979
    Feedback Score
    0
    Technically not over. An assignment phase will start hopefully sometime next week. Could take a week or two. then we can know who won what where,

    "The highest profile bidders in the millimeter-wave spectrum auction were Windstream (actually the debtors in possession), T-Mobile and U.S. Cellular Corp."

    So Verizon and at&T are not "high profile" lol. whatever.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    1,706
    Device(s)
    Any Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    Technically not over. An assignment phase will start hopefully sometime next week. Could take a week or two. then we can know who won what where,

    "The highest profile bidders in the millimeter-wave spectrum auction were Windstream (actually the debtors in possession), T-Mobile and U.S. Cellular Corp."

    So Verizon and at&T are not "high profile" lol. whatever.
    While Verizon and AT&T are certainly high profile, I don't think either of them bid in this particular auction.

    At least I didn't see them on the list of qualified bidders...

    https://www.fcc.gov/document/auction...lified-bidders



    Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    --
    Todd Allcock, Microsoft MVP: Mobile Devices 2007-2011

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    1,979
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by elecconnec View Post
    While Verizon and AT&T are certainly high profile, I don't think either of them bid in this particular auction.

    At least I didn't see them on the list of qualified bidders...

    https://www.fcc.gov/document/auction...lified-bidders



    Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    Considering both use 39 GHz they sure as hell did. They just didn't give up their 39 GHz holdings. Verizon's fixed wireless offering uses only 39 GHz. I bet they bought the most spectrum this auction

    FiberTower Spectrum Holdings LLC = at&t
    Straight Path Spectrum, LLC =Verizon
    Last edited by Jack Hagar; 01-31-2020 at 03:29 PM.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    1,706
    Device(s)
    Any Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    Considering both use 39 GHz they sure as hell did. They just didn't give up their 39 GHz holdings. Verizon's fixed wireless offering uses only 39 GHz. I bet they bought the most spectrum this auction

    FiberTower Spectrum Holdings LLC = at&t
    Straight Path Spectrum, LLC =Verizon
    Ah, thanks. I wasn't aware of the names of the companies the big two's spectrum holdings are held under.

    Apparently the article's author didn't either, else they'd have given AT&T and Verizon a mention over T-Mo and US Cellular!



    Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    1,979
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by elecconnec View Post
    Ah, thanks. I wasn't aware of the names of the companies the big two's spectrum holdings are held under.

    Apparently the article's author didn't either, else they'd have given AT&T and Verizon a mention over T-Mo and US Cellular!
    You'd think person that gets PAID to write tech articles should have their ducks in row before posting an article. The fact they didn't see at&t or Verizon should have caused them to do some basic research. Though once again a tech wrote should have been aware that Verizon owns StraightPath and at&t owns FiberTower. I think T-Mobile will probably end up with 400-800 MHz of the 37/39 GHz band in most areas where they wanted to buy spectrum, but I think Verizon and at&t probably got the bulk of it. For example in NYC, Verizon had 1100 MHz before the auction and at&t had 800 MHz and T-Mobile had 100 MHz. Verizon could be perfectly happy with just 1000 MHz or even 800 MHz or they may want 1200 MHz. At&t will probably get at least 800 MHz to match their current holdings. Should still be plenty left for T-Mobile to get 400 MHz. But even 200 MHz would be double what they have now.

    T-Mobile currently only owns 39 GHz in NYC 100 MHz( incl CT, western Mass, Scranton PA ), Orlando 100 MHz( including Lakeland, Daytona, Ocala ), Las Vegas 200 MHz, SF/San Jose 100 MHz( including Santa Rosa, Stockton, Modesto, Merced ) I haven't done all the math but I estimate they should be able get 200 MHz in every PEA for around 500-600 million. Of course 400 MHz nationwide would be about $1 -$1.2 bil and 200 MHz nationwide of 47 GHz for about another $120 million. Of course they could want more or less and not want any in some areas

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    1,706
    Device(s)
    Any Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    You'd think person that gets PAID to write tech articles should have their ducks in row before posting an article. The fact they didn't see at&t or Verizon should have caused them to do some basic research. Though once again a tech wrote should have been aware that Verizon owns StraightPath and at&t owns FiberTower.

    The dangers of journalism in a truly democratic internet, as opposed to a meritocratic one...







    Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 02-02-2015, 07:13 PM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-14-2012, 04:32 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-24-2004, 04:53 PM
  4. FCC and spectrum
    By Moleman in forum Verizon Wireless
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-16-2002, 12:12 PM
  5. FS: StarTac 7868w Auction Ends Soon....
    By Ludwig in forum GSM phone Buy/Sell/Trade Archive
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-22-2002, 06:20 PM

Bookmarks