Thread: Band 41 2500 Mhz Antenna / Booster setup

Feedback Score

Band 41 2500 Mhz Antenna / Booster setup

There isn't a perfect place to post this thread, but since the WiMax standard of sprint utilized band 41, I figured i would give this a try. Here is my situation.

The Upper Peninsula of Michigan has launched a rural internet program through Northern Michigan University. I am working to get setup and I am trying to prepare my site. Currently I have been supplied the following setup by NMU to try out at my house.

SLC-120 Panel Antenna with SIM card. This was a replacement of a WiMax CPE450. The current tower is 9.5 miles from my setup. I am planning on mounting outside on a pole mount around 35' in the air. I don't know exactly what if any signal will be picked up by the panel antenna. I am trying to prepare myself for needed to go with a high gain directional antenna. Currently the SLC-120 is POE and will be run to a wifi router in my house.

The main question:

I can't find a booster/repeater. The panel doesn't have any visible antenna ports to help with signal. Is there any options for boosting the signal? This is where the newbie come into focus. Would I be able to run a high gain directional antenna directly to a omni indoor antenna and thus convert to a standard cell router setup or am I destine to keep searching for some used equipment to boost my signal?

Thanks for reading and I will keep an eye on the post to see if I can clarify if needed.

Feedback Score
    I know nothing about this service but just a couple thoughts I had.

Knowing nothing about the SLC-120 device. One suggestion is you could try opening up the SLC-120 Panel Antenna and seeing if there are antenna ports in there. seems like there is a pretty good chance there would be for connecting the antenna inside the device, but you never know.

I realize this might be the best option, because of warranties, etc.

Another thought though, is that it seems like this service is pretty open about what device you can use. you just needs band 7 and/or band 41. So it seems possible that you could build your own device with a wwan card capable router and a modem that supports b7 and b41.

I would start by opening up the slc-120 device if you can.....or at the very least if you can figure out more information about the device you might be able to find pictures of the inside of the device, on the fcc website or elsewhere on the internet.

Device(s)
    SM-J700PVPV2BQJ2
    Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    They have apps on Google play which will calculate the antenna signal strength
    You would need alot more information for this question to be answered. Based on what
    you have given this is a Sprint owned and operated tower providing a 2500mhz 4g LTE connection.

I would map the tower and your location and do the vector math before investing
    Your booster gain can be up to 71db for that frequency,
    but you should get a signal at that distance without a booster on the receiving end

Do you have line of sight to the tower?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by badpaw View Post
    They have apps on Google play which will calculate the antenna signal strength.
    The signal apps will only read the dominant frequency band your service has available. It will not read bands not in your carrier service. Sprint B41 can't be read by a device activated on the other carriers, because they don't use it.

Yes, if some signal is not detected at ground level, no booster will work. You can improve a weak signal with better antennas, but not signal below a certain threshold.

Feedback Score
    Sorry for the delay in response.

Here are a couple items that might help.

Tower distance to House = 9.48 miles

I have attached some pictures of the details via cellmapper of the tower that is referenced above.

It won't let me post the pictures.

Here is a link to the tower and details.

it is https
    cellmapper.net/map?MCC=312&MNC=590&type=LTE&latitude=45.703262505 27546&longitude=-87.3394843261107&zoom=16.115675326025297&showTower s=true&showTowerLabels=true&clusterEnabled=true&ti lesEnabled=true&showOrphans=false&showNoFrequencyO nly=false&showFrequencyOnly=false&showBandwidthOnl y=false&DateFilterType=None&showHex=false&showVeri fiedOnly=false&showUnverifiedOnly=false&showLTECAO nly=false&showENDCOnly=false&showBand=0&showSector Colours=true

I will take a look at the SL-120 tonight and see how it looks to take it apart and review. I will also see if I can get some pictures or details of the inner workings. I am unclear if there will be an ability to add an antenna, but a very good idea to see what is inside. I must have an antenna port to the panel antenna.

I do not believe there are any hills in the way of the tower and my location. I think my only constraint will be height at this point. I am willing to place the antenna higher in the air if needed. The tower is owned and operated by Northern Michigan University, it is using the Band 41 2500 mhz spectrum to delivery rural internet access for the Upper Peninsula of Michigan.
    It is https
    nmu.edu/ean/

I will keep a closer eye on this thread and hope I can get moving along. I haven't mounted my antenna as of yet.

I am assuming that I have some signal at ground level, only because I have verizon signal at ground level and the tower distances are roughly the same distance. I don't have a way to test the ground level signal as of yet. I am hoping within the next week or two to be able to get the panel antenna mounted on the pole mount and start getting some readings.
    Attached Images Attached Images        

Feedback Score
    Sorry for the delay in response.

Here are a couple items that might help.

Tower distance to House = 9.48 miles

I have attached some pictures of the details via cellmapper of the tower that is referenced above.

It won't let me post the pictures.

Here is a link to the tower and details.

it is https
    cellmapper.net/map?MCC=312&MNC=590&type=LTE&latitude=45.703262505 27546&longitude=-87.3394843261107&zoom=16.115675326025297&showTower s=true&showTowerLabels=true&clusterEnabled=true&ti lesEnabled=true&showOrphans=false&showNoFrequencyO nly=false&showFrequencyOnly=false&showBandwidthOnl y=false&DateFilterType=None&showHex=false&showVeri fiedOnly=false&showUnverifiedOnly=false&showLTECAO nly=false&showENDCOnly=false&showBand=0&showSector Colours=true

I will take a look at the SL-120 tonight and see how it looks to take it apart and review. I will also see if I can get some pictures or details of the inner workings. I am unclear if there will be an ability to add an antenna, but a very good idea to see what is inside. I must have an antenna port to the panel antenna.

I do not believe there are any hills in the way of the tower and my location. I think my only constraint will be height at this point. I am willing to place the antenna higher in the air if needed. The tower is owned and operated by Northern Michigan University, it is using the Band 41 2500 mhz spectrum to delivery rural internet access for the Upper Peninsula of Michigan.

It is https
    nmu.edu/ean/

I will keep a closer eye on this thread and hope I can get moving along. I haven't mounted my antenna as of yet.

I am assuming that I have some signal at ground level, only because I have verizon signal at ground level and the tower distances are roughly the same distance. I don't have a way to test the ground level signal as of yet. I am hoping within the next week or two to be able to get the panel antenna mounted on the pole mount and start getting some readings.