Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: AT&T Fees Outrageously High

Feedback Score
    don't get me wrong and i'm hoping that I won't get banned for this post, if I remember correctly, there are provider that includes taxes and fees for the service

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by KH6CY View Post
    don't get me wrong and i'm hoping that I won't get banned for this post, if I remember correctly, there are provider that includes taxes and fees for the service
    Nothing wrong said. I believe you are speaking about T-mobile (or many prepaid/MVNO's) who wrap all costs (fees & taxes) into the cost of the plan.
    Just another day in paradise.....

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wilbur101 View Post
    I'm not upset but the topic of the thread deals with outrageous att fees. Wouldn't the admim fee be a part of that? How is that not backed up? Its a $2 fee just because people pay it and they know they will continue to. That's why it goes up every once in a while

So we all should say that we love all the extra att fees? Nothing to be called out on just for thinking fees like that are bogus.

$2 a line is high
    My response is that those fees are disclosed up front and are accepted if you choose to activate service. You voluntarily sign up for service and may not always agree with the Terms & Conditions of Service. Those fees and taxes are disclosed as required by law.

I don't like additional fees and taxes if I can avoid them as I stated earlier. That we can agree on.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro 256 GB Midnight Green
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by veriztd View Post
    Hundreds of millions of subscribers, really ? Maybe you missed this:
    Statista claims 153 million, not sure on the validity of those claims. Also, am I not allowed to count wireline and TV subs?

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Chicago, IL‎ ----------------------------------------------------‎ ‎Duluth, MN
    2+46+46+46+4 (85 MHz DL, 15 MHz UL) ---------------- 4+14 UL CA (30 MHz DL/UL)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jakeuten View Post
    Statista claims 153 million, not sure on the validity of those claims. Also, am I not allowed to count wireline and TV subs?

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    That still not sounds right.
    US has population 300 million, I don't believe at&t got more than half population is their account...

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Thanks again for all responses. Despite all the banter and arguments over semantics, any realistic person can see that AT&T is padding their pockets and essentially backdoor raising their advertised prices by adding on fees approximately twice the rate of their main competitor. Is there anyone here from MA that can post real world numbers as far as AT&T taxes and fees go? Thanks

Feedback Score
    I've never been able to understand the thought process of someone who does business with a company they think is ripping them off, and then gets all bent out of shape about it. What a waste of energy.

I don't care if they call it a fee, a tax, a plan price, or a turkey. If the bottom line offers me the best value for my money, that's where I do business. If not, I go elsewhere. I think that's a pretty simple concept.

Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    My response is that those fees are disclosed up front and are accepted if you choose to activate service. You voluntarily sign up for service and may not always agree with the Terms & Conditions of Service. Those fees and taxes are disclosed as required by law.

I don't like additional fees and taxes if I can avoid them as I stated earlier. That we can agree on.
    True but those fees add up. Wish all the carriers had tax and fees included like T-Mobile. That at least avoids any fluctuation
    Last edited by wilbur101; 02-05-2020 at 12:25 PM.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11, iPhone SE, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Boom Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wilbur101 View Post
    True but those fees add up. Wish all the carriers had tax and fees included like T-Mobile. That at least avoids any fluctuation
    And T-Mobile only does it for some plans.
    iPhone 11 is my current primary phone. But I have more phones than lines. Back to only Prepaid with the changes in the economy.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max 256Gb
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RussPath03 View Post
    Depends where you live, but here is a snip of mine for Texas.

Attachment 165194
    Looks like the State is making more than AT&T.
    Hartford, CT Area

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jakeuten View Post
    Damn, a company with hundreds of millions of subscribers is getting away with illegal charges and nobody is batting an eye? Do tell how they’re getting away with this. A law or policy from the federal government would be nice to see. I don’t like taxes or fees anymore than the next guy, but I think “illegal” is not the word you’re looking for. Maybe immoral?

Its the same companies that promised nationwide broadband build-out in return for billions in subsidies by the federal government, and look how they didn't follow through with that, had no repercussions, and are about to get billions more in another attempt at nationwide broadband build-out.

Device(s)
    Note 10+
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    NYC

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    My response is that those fees are disclosed up front and are accepted if you choose to activate service.
    Are they? They disclose the administration fee, which is a $2 surcharge for the privilege of nice marketable numbers in the advertising. But the rest of AT&T's fees can vary by market, which they seem to have a terrible time of being able to generate actual figures before you've signed on the dotted line.

You voluntarily sign up for service and may not always agree with the Terms & Conditions of Service. Those fees and taxes are disclosed as required by law.
    Last time I added a post-paid line, my county had added a $2 E911 surcharge. That was not disclosed, not accurately billed on the time of purchase and AT&T went back and added the correct amount on the next month's billing.

I don't expect AT&T to eat that charge, but this empirical evidence suggests that AT&T has a very difficult time disclosing the actual price. Part of that is due to the quagmire of state and local regulators using cell phone customers as a revenue source, and partly AT&T being shifty with below the line surcharges that pad profit while not technically changing base rates.

Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zentec View Post
    Are they? They disclose the administration fee, which is a $2 surcharge for the privilege of nice marketable numbers in the advertising. But the rest of AT&T's fees can vary by market, which they seem to have a terrible time of being able to generate actual figures before you've signed on the dotted line.

Last time I added a post-paid line, my county had added a $2 E911 surcharge. That was not disclosed, not accurately billed on the time of purchase and AT&T went back and added the correct amount on the next month's billing.

I don't expect AT&T to eat that charge, but this empirical evidence suggests that AT&T has a very difficult time disclosing the actual price. Part of that is due to the quagmire of state and local regulators using cell phone customers as a revenue source, and partly AT&T being shifty with below the line surcharges that pad profit while not technically changing base rates.
    I agree. Plus we see tons of complaints over att billing all the time

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zentec View Post

I must respectively disagree with your argument. The highlighted portion that you posted is a perfect example.

Some fees and all taxes are imposed by federal, state and local municipalities. Those are subject to change and cannot be accurately predicted, only estimated. Those are not necessarily imposed by the carrier but the carrier is expected to collect those charges and can legally do so. The cost of the basic plan rate isn't changed. The carrier can only estimate fees and taxes for a customer in a given market. It has been this way since as long as I remember. If you don't agree with the billing practices of a carrier, there are plenty more to choose from, including prepaid/MVNO providers.

Try booking a flight, hotel room or renting a car and you will see fees in addition to the cost of the product or service provided. Companies are in business to maximize profits for their investors and pass such costs on to the consumer. While I am not trying to rationalize or excuse it I am trying to explain it as simple as I can. Welcome to Economics 101.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast