Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
Results 46 to 60 of 60

Thread: AT&T Fees Outrageously High

  1. #46
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Posts
    19
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Serial Port View Post
    Keep in mind that the fees and taxes differ state to state and market to market with all carriers. I am not and will not defend any carrier's billing practices. I want to pay as little as I have to without sacrificing features on my phone just like anyone else.
    T-Mobile back in the day used to bill in arrears meaning if you timed it just right, you could bill a phone to your account and have almost 60 days to pay for it. It also meant that you didn't have double bills when you made plan changes or have to pay in advance for service yu haven't used. They stopped this practice in 2011 to 2012. all the other carriers billed in advance so tmo decided to as well. but for a long time, that is why i referred people to tmobile is because of their arrears billing. In fact, this is how i bought my sidekick 3. I was able to get it now, when i wanted it, and i used the next three paychecks to pay for it and my bill was paid on time. it was great. that is a billing practice i would defend.

  2. #47
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    19,414
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Plan changes, by default, are effective as of the end of the bill cycle unless the customer requested it to become effective either immediately or backdated to the beginning of the bill cycle. By making changes this way, it prevents prorated charges if a plan/feature changes during the current bill cycle.

    How anyone used to finance their phones back in the day is irrelevant vs. how it is done currently. The old cellular contracts were replaced with the modern device payment plans which work very similar.
    Just another day in paradise.....

  3. #48
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    19,414
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Please keep this thread on track. If not, I see thread edits or deletions and a possible thread lock. No need to take swipes at other carriers or forum members.

  4. #49
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    1,999
    Device(s)
    Moto X4, Moto E5+, Any and all Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Serial Port View Post
    I must respectively disagree with your argument. The highlighted portion that you posted is a perfect example.

    Some fees and all taxes are imposed by federal, state and local municipalities. Those are subject to change and cannot be accurately predicted, only estimated. Those are not necessarily imposed by the carrier but the carrier is expected to collect those charges and can legally do so. The cost of the basic plan rate isn't changed. The carrier can only estimate fees and taxes for a customer in a given market. It has been this way since as long as I remember. If you don't agree with the billing practices of a carrier, there are plenty more to choose from, including prepaid/MVNO providers.

    Try booking a flight, hotel room or renting a car and you will see fees in addition to the cost of the product or service provided. Companies are in business to maximize profits for their investors and pass such costs on to the consumer. While I am not trying to rationalize or excuse it I am trying to explain it as simple as I can. Welcome to Economics 101.
    I'll go along with everything you say, but with an important caviat.

    Governments don't collect those taxes directly from cell customers, right? The cell companies collect them on behalf of the government, (and presumably give those collected taxes to the government at some point!)

    So, if AT&T's billing system is capable of correctly *charging* the OP $2 for an E911 fee based on his address after he signs up, then AT&T's stores and dealers should be capable of estimating those fees to the penny beforehand!

    My cable company (Comcast) has so many below the line charges they make AT&T look like amateurs, but they can tell me to the penny exactly what my bill will be, taxes, fees, and all, if ask about changing anything on my account.

    Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    --
    Todd Allcock, Microsoft MVP: Mobile Devices 2007-2011

  5. #50
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Los Angeles/Canada
    Posts
    11,761
    Device(s)
    LG G7 (T-Mobile), Samsung S10e (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by baaadandy View Post
    Worst two carriers lol. Some people need reliable coverage that isn't a spilled bucket of magenta paint where coverage doesn't exist or roaming on Sprint's partners.

    Sent from my SM-N975U1 using HoFo mobile app
    That is T-Mobile's most common complaint (I have both AT&T and T-Mobile). Urban SoCal on T-Mobile is good..rural - not as good. Other parts of the country... many rural areas that 'I' have visited are hot or cold.
    Those that need the coverage of AT&T - especially outside the city, have it, and T-Mobile's sites are more for - tourists, IMHO
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

  6. #51
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,599
    Device(s)
    iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    Starting to think they all suck
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by formercanuck View Post
    That is T-Mobile's most common complaint (I have both AT&T and T-Mobile). Urban SoCal on T-Mobile is good..rural - not as good. Other parts of the country... many rural areas that 'I' have visited are hot or cold.
    Those that need the coverage of AT&T - especially outside the city, have it, and T-Mobile's sites are more for - tourists, IMHO
    Agree with you 100%. My original comment was a bit overstretched, but honestly not by that much.

    My daily driver is TMO on Amplified, so it's a great deal for $70/mo, but there are PLENTY of areas that claim coverage and there simply is none. And it's areas where there is no good excuse for the absence of coverage. TMO says it wants to be the 5G carrier for first responders, they need tons and tons of work to pull that off.

    Even with my coverage issues I still keep them for my main # because I have unlimited mobile broadband lines on VZW and ATT to fill in the gaps, and I like the friendly attitude for unlocked phones. Wi-Fi Calling is sufficient in those situations, but not everyone had backups available.

    They've made heavy promises with 5G, I'm hoping they keep them.

    Sent from my SM-N975U1 using HoFo mobile app

  7. #52
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    5,835
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by baaadandy View Post
    ...My daily driver is TMO on Amplified, so it's a great deal for $70/mo, but there are PLENTY of areas that claim coverage and there simply is none. And it's areas where there is no good excuse for the absence of coverage. TMO says it wants to be the 5G carrier for first responders, they need tons and tons of work to pull that off.

    Even with my coverage issues I still keep them for my main # because I have unlimited mobile broadband lines on VZW and ATT to fill in the gaps, and I like the friendly attitude for unlocked phones. Wi-Fi Calling is sufficient in those situations, but not everyone had backups available...
    Just curious no judgement. You have TMO $70 as a main line. And you have unlimited mobile broadband lines on VZW and ATT. Isn't that kind of expensive to have all 3?
    If my actions include deeds of philanthropy in charity and acts of loving kindness I am living in my Faith.

    Red Pocket (AT&T) UTT 5GB exp 09.27.20
    Liberty Wireless (T-Mobile) UTT $60 360 days
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.11.21

  8. #53
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Posts
    19
    Feedback Score
    0
    my major complaint with all the carriers is not only the fees. Its the fact that you are only presented the option of an unlimited plan, and that almost always your bill is over $100 per month. In 2004 when I signed up for my first post paid ever, it was with T-Mobile and I paid 39.99 for 600 minutes, 9.99 for unlimited SMS and 19.99 for unlimted data. my bill came to about $78 and some change every month unless I ordered a new phone.

    Another decepting thing carriers are doing is saying its $x.xx per month when you have 4 lines. Four lines?! Thats not relevent to me. At most I would have two lines. One for me and one for my significant other. Stop advertising plan prices that aren't relevant.

    Also, it seems to be the goal to make sure you have a cellular telephone bill well over $150. I cannot afford that. I pay it, but it causes me severe financial hardship. Prepaid is not an option for me, as I have an Apple Watch, and I have not found a carrier that supports the Apple Watch Cellular on prepaid.

    If the prices of cellualar phone services continue to rise (along with other goods and services it seems) without my pay being correspondingly increased, I will be forced by sheer math to forego the level of service I have become accustomed to and seek out a prepaid provider. Given my research about how prepaid providers are severely deprioritized, I anticipate being extremely unhappy with those services.

    As to the main topic, fees, I believe that it is false advertising to pubicly lure a customer in with a good price only to tack on charges when they get billed. Very few people actually read the terms and conditions, and the wireless carriers know this. It may be legal, but it is morally underhanded. I believe we would all be better off if there was one nationwide wireless carrier, and it was run by the United States Federal government. The price you pay for service would depend on the plan you pick and your income reported to the I.R.S. To pay for the network upkeep and upgrades, taxes would be raised on the wealthy, those who eat with silver spoons. I would venture to guess that the bracket would start at those making in excess of 100 thousand dollars. The government would award contracts to installation companies and to equipment companies that are based in USA. The problem of fees and unfair billing is now gone. In fact, I think a lot of things could be fixed if we just have the governemtn run them. Banks, Cable Companies, etc could be fixed if there was one bank, one cable company. it woud be likethe mail. the US mail doesnt run to make a profit, they run to serve the public. It is extremely efficiant and reliability is close to 100 percent.

  9. #54
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    19,414
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Let's remember that the price of service has not gone up as some folks think. When I started at Cingular Wireless in 2001, the $49.99 (primary phone) and $9.99 for additional lines. The plan only included 450 minutes, and you could pick 2 features at no additional cost (Free domestic long distance calling from your local calling area, rollover minutes, or local LD calling while in your local calling market. These plans did not offer NW roaming, text messages were limited, there was no wireless data and no free Nationwide LD calling. On Cingular, you could only have a maximum up to a total of 4 numbers per consumer (not business) account.

    Modern postpaid plans have unlimited domestic calling and roaming (some plans offer free calling/roaming to Canada and Mexico), unlimited data (albeit slowed down in many markets when a data limit is achieved), unlimited text/MMS, nationwide LD while in the US. The argument that consumers are paying more for less is garbage. No argument that fees and taxes have increased, but Uncle Sam wants his cut.

    The argument that the USPS is
    extremely efficient and reliability is close to 100 percent
    It is laughable when they are facing huge budget shortfalls and the federal government even threatening it's very existence every time they ask for additional funding or raise postal rates.

  10. #55
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,599
    Device(s)
    iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    Starting to think they all suck
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    Just curious no judgement. You have TMO $70 as a main line. And you have unlimited mobile broadband lines on VZW and ATT. Isn't that kind of expensive to have all 3?
    Everything except my TMO line is business so yeah, it's my money, but it's also a business deduction.

    Sent from my SM-N975U1 using HoFo mobile app

  11. #56
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,599
    Device(s)
    iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    Starting to think they all suck
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Serial Port View Post
    Let's remember that the price of service has not gone up as some folks think. When I started at Cingular Wireless in 2001, the $49.99 (primary phone) and $9.99 for additional lines. The plan only included 450 minutes, and you could pick 2 features at no additional cost (Free domestic long distance calling from your local calling area, rollover minutes, or local LD calling while in your local calling market. These plans did not offer NW roaming, text messages were limited, there was no wireless data and no free Nationwide LD calling. On Cingular, you could only have a maximum up to a total of 4 numbers per consumer (not business) account.

    Modern postpaid plans have unlimited domestic calling and roaming (some plans offer free calling/roaming to Canada and Mexico), unlimited data (albeit slowed down in many markets when a data limit is achieved), unlimited text/MMS, nationwide LD while in the US. The argument that consumers are paying more for less is garbage. No argument that fees and taxes have increased, but Uncle Sam wants his cut.

    The argument that the USPS is
    It is laughable when they are facing huge budget shortfalls and the federal government even threatening it's very existence every time they ask for additional funding or raise postal rates.
    I love this place. Call someone a fanboy, mods lose it. Mod expresses their political viewpoint, no prob.

    Sent from my SM-N975U1 using HoFo mobile app

  12. #57
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Posts
    19
    Feedback Score
    0
    All I care about is unlimited data / SMS. Voice minutes, which are the bulk of the plan cost, are not important to me to be unlimited. I could easily do with a 300 minute plan with unlimited data. and according to T-Mobile's rates in 2004 (since according to serial port, rates have not gone up), I would pay $29.99 for the plan and 19.99 for data and 9.99 for sms. so $60. And my phone would be included for FREE, not charged 1 thousand dollars and split up over 24 months. If apple can make an iPad and charge $329 for it and it has a 10 inch screen, surely they can make a flagship phone for a lot less. Id venture to guess that 80% of an iPhone price is pure markup profit.
    Last edited by Serial Port; 07-19-2020 at 05:25 PM. Reason: Personal insult removed

  13. #58
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    3,639
    Device(s)
    iPhone 11, iPhone SE, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Boom Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    0
    There is a reason I'm on prepaid. I was on postpaid for 8 months recently, but really the only benefits I got was not having to worry about running out of data, and being able to add a watch to my plan. For $80/month total. I replaced it with a prepaid carrier for $20/month over the 12 months of my annual plan. No watch on it, and only 5GB of data.
    iPhone 11 is my current primary phone. But I have more phones than lines. Back to only Prepaid with the changes in the economy.

  14. #59
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    19,414
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by baaadandy View Post
    Mod expresses their political viewpoint, no prob.

    Sent from my SM-N975U1 using HoFo mobile app
    No political viewpoint, only reality. I can express an opinion just like anyone else. I didn't call anyone out, just corrected what I felt was an inaccurate statement. I did not bully, nor insult anyone.

  15. #60
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    581
    Carrier(s)
    Att
    Feedback Score
    0
    Maybe as mod try to stay more neutral. That's probably what some others are referring to
    Quote Originally Posted by Serial Port View Post
    No political viewpoint, only reality. I can express an opinion just like anyone else. I didn't call anyone out, just corrected what I felt was an inaccurate statement. I did not bully, nor insult anyone.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Similar Threads

  1. Waive AT&T Activation Fee
    By teyong in forum AT&T
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-12-2008, 10:57 PM
  2. AT&T upgrade fee questions
    By xsr in forum AT&T
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 07-04-2007, 04:15 PM
  3. Riot Breaks Out At A South L.A. High School
    By boost_i95 in forum Nextel Lounge
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 11-23-2004, 05:56 PM
  4. Replies: 26
    Last Post: 10-06-2004, 11:12 PM
  5. nextel taxes and other fees toooo HIGH
    By Chaoss in forum General Nextel Discussion
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 01-15-2003, 09:18 AM

Bookmarks