Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What kind of ill-fit appendage to text message is this?

Feedback Score

What kind of ill-fit appendage to text message is this?

I sent a text message to an email address, just to have a look at the part after the "@" symbol. The added information that came along with the text message in the message body was THIS NONSENSE:

This picture message or video message was sent using Multimedia Messaging Service.

To play video messages sent to email, Apple QuickTime 6.5 or higher is required. Visit www.apple.com/quicktime/download to download the free player or upgrade your existing QuickTime Player. Note: During the download process when asked to choose an installation type (Minimum, Recommended or Custom), select Minimum for faster download.
    I call this "nonsense" because I sent a TEXT message; not any kind of multimedia anything.

Can someone explain this to me? Is there some adjustment I can make somewhere so that a text message I send IS done as a text message and not become some other crazy stuff? Also the stuff after the "@" was, "mypixmessages.com". I was expecting to see something totally different, like some indication of the cellular service.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Probably just a general "catch all disclaimer". Keep in mind that SMS and MMS both use the same platform to send/receive messages. The difference is that while SMS (text) doesn't require data, MMS (picture) does. Don't read more into the notification than necessary. Anytime that voice, pictures or attachments are added to a text message it is then converted to MMS.
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by veriztd View Post
    Probably just a general "catch all disclaimer". Keep in mind that SMS and MMS both use the same platform to send/receive messages. The difference is that while SMS (text) doesn't require data, MMS (picture) does. Don't read more into the notification than necessary. Anytime that voice, pictures or attachments are added to a text message it is then converted to MMS.
    Thanks for informing me, I guess. Without any doubt, the intended TEXT MESSAGE was not meant in any way to involve, DATA, pictures, multimedia. Just simple text and nothing more. Simple text message from a basic cell/flip phone, sent to an email address. When the Sent From part just showed [email protected], this looked bad! ( I not show here the actual phone number )

Feedback Score
    A web-search just turned up an interesting list: https://20somethingfinance.com/how-t...mail-for-free/

Some items there indicates this:
    Verizon, vtext.com
    Tracfone, mmst5.tracfone.com (for MMS)
    Xfinity, vtext.com (for SMS), mypixmessages.com (for MMS)
    Page Plus Cellular, vtext.com

(note: trying to set up format of a table)
    (I was trying to put those into a table but that was not working.)

(Trying as if for code tag)
    Code:
    CARRIER              for SMS                 for MMS
    Verizon                 vtext.com
    Tracfone                                            mmst5.tracfone.com
    Xfinity                   vtext.com               mypixmessages.com
    PagePlusCellular     vtext.com
    (With help from administrator or moderator, this for easier reading)
    CARRIER for SMS for MMS
    Verizon vtext.com
    Tracfone mmst5.tracfone.com
    Xfinity vtext.com mypixmessages.com
    Page Plus Cllr. vtext.com (unclear)
    Last edited by joseg2016; 02-04-2020 at 02:25 AM. Reason: attempt at making table of data not working

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); LG Fiesta 2 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    It could have to do with messaging to an Apple phone, or it could have been the length of the message (not just the content) or if it was sent to more than one recipient. Mypixmessages indicates a VZW MVNO MMS source.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by whacker View Post
    It could have to do with messaging to an Apple phone, or it could have been the length of the message (not just the content) or if it was sent to more than one recipient. Mypixmessages indicates a VZW MVNO MMS source.
    Have to be something else.
    Text message was less than 15 characters. NO Apple devices involved to any extent. None of any Apple services or software to any extent.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Most modern phones send ANY text message to an email address as a MMS currently.

That's not how it was ~10 years ago, when I had phones that would send a text message to an email address as a regular SMS.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    Most modern phones send ANY text message to an email address as a MMS currently.

That's not how it was ~10 years ago, when I had phones that would send a text message to an email address as a regular SMS.
    Mine sends as an SMS (@vtext.com), and that is through LTE too. Works both ways with Gmail. Only email to phone with Yahoo Mail, not phone to email. Moto G5 Plus on TF/VZW
    Last edited by loboheeler; 02-04-2020 at 07:22 PM.

Feedback Score

Fine, good to be aware. It is news to me. Earlier experience of mine was with an OLDER basic phone. Newer experience of the recent test-try was on a much newer basic phone at "4G LTE". (Alcatel MyFlip is new or newer.)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by joseg2016 View Post
    Newer experience of the recent test-try was on a much newer basic phone at "4G LTE". (Alcatel MyFlip is new or newer.)
    The MyFlip is a different type device, and may explain the weirdness. I don't think many use the SMS/MMS Gateway method anymore.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    The MyFlip is a different type device, and may explain the weirdness. I don't think many use the SMS/MMS Gateway method anymore.
    That is all an area of technicality which I do not understand. Regardless, the current information given to me is that if someone wants to send text to my current "myflip" from email, it can be done using [email protected].

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    That is all an area of technicality which I do not understand. Regardless, the current information given to me is that if someone wants to send text to my current "myflip" from email, it can be done using [email protected].
    That's correct as of the last time I tried, which was some years ago.

Feedback Score
    That's correct as of the last time I tried, which was some years ago.
    The main thing I do not like about the suffix part being only "mypixmessages.com", is that the sending phone of the text message is not showing a clear indication of which cellular service; so in case a person on email wishes to send a text message to recipient's cell phone, not clear where [email protected] is supposed to really reach to. Maybe it does not even matter; maybe [email protected] would go to the correct "thenumber" and the suffix would not be an obstacle.

(I already understand, texts from cell to cell need no suffix.)

Feedback Score
    The main thing I do not like about the suffix part being only "mypixmessages.com", is that the sending phone of the text message is not showing a clear indication of which cellular service; so in case a person on email wishes to send a text message to recipient's cell phone, not clear where [email protected] is supposed to really reach to. Maybe it does not even matter; maybe [email protected] would go to the correct "thenumber" and the suffix would not be an obstacle.

(I already understand, texts from cell to cell need no suffix.)
    The message sending phone does not need to show anything except the email address of the recipient. The SMS Gateway will direct it. The source address is seen in the received email, and can be replied to. With email to messaging system, the suffix is needed to find the path through each carrier. Email to the messaging system can't use just the phone number.

The suffix "mypixmessages.com" should not be showing up in a simple text message to an email address. Should be "@vtext.com".

Feedback Score
    from loboheeler,
    The suffix "mypixmessages.com" should not be showing up in a simple text message to an email address. Should be "@vtext.com".
    That is exactly what I originally was asking about. The test was this:
    Compose a text message on a basic cellular telephone, to be sent to email address. Only text. No audio file; no picture file; only simple plain text. Machine to receive and read the email text is Windows P.C. Device to send the text message, a basic phone. No relation to Apple in any way. Text message not given any attachments of any kind.
    RESULT: The message in email was shown as from: [email protected]

One more test is worth trying, not been done here yet...
    Try sending a reply from the email back to "[email protected]". My guess is it would fail.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast