Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: How can we make sure Huawei is not used by AT&T?

Feedback Score

How can we make sure Huawei is not used by AT&T?

As an American and user of AT&T on my Apple ipad with qualcomm chipset, I am very concerned about any Chinese equipment being used by AT&T. I am also a shareholder. I know the federal government has banned the use of chinese chipsets, but as 5G emerges, I want AT&T to be audited to make sure they are completely free of any Chinese equipment in the network even though they have stated they are not using Chinese equipment and I have no reason to doubt them but I do believe the US should set up independent auditors to make sure.

I know when you travel on roaming partners outside the USA, some allies of the USA do have Chinese equipment in their networks and it is quite bothersome to me as I don’t want any data going over chinese equipment. Hopefully those networks can be identified and perhaps other devices can be used for temporary access on those networks so no data will be exposed when usage is necessary.

I believe we need to get smart about this.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro & 11 Pro Max
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

What about your iPad? Likely assembled in China. Why couldn’t that have backdoor access?

Why is the concern just about Chinese network vendors that AT&T uses? If they have the capability to backdoor network equipment, what makes you think that all other electronics assembled in China don’t also have the same ability?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Your results may vary. Network performance differs per user location.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TWX View Post
    What about your iPad? Likely assembled in China. Why couldn’t that have backdoor access?

Why is the concern just about Chinese network vendors that AT&T uses? If they have the capability to backdoor network equipment, what makes you think that all other electronics assembled in China don’t also have the same ability?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The Federal government has mandated that no chinese equipment be used in the USA already and fortunately this admin understands this and I think AT&T is already honest on this matter as are other carriers in USA. My Apple is secure because Apple takes full control of chipsets and design protocols on the equipment side so China is just assembling the product for them. Apple fiercely monitors these factories as well with enhanced security protocols. For instance, to communicate my packets to the internet, it goes through a Qualcomm chipset which in an American based company. An Apple device would never be allowed to use a Huawei Kilrin chipset. You may say why does it matter, but there are so many reasons which is fully explainable by the USA side.

I have a great fear of somehow Chinese equipment infiltrating 5G and they wind up intercepting every communication we do wrecking havok in the global community doing eve more damage than they have already.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro 256 GB Midnight Green
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    This thread gave me a laugh. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Chicago, IL
    2+46+46+46+4 (85 MHz DL, 15 MHz UL)

Duluth, MN
    4+14 UL CA (30 MHz DL/UL)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jakeuten View Post
    This thread gave me a laugh. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    It happens to be a serious issue that high ranking US officials are all aware of. AT&T got the contract for 5G and FirstNet for Nellis Air Force Base and as thats a highly secure facility, I presume AT&T standards were up to the task. The US definitely doesn’t want the Chinese messing around down there with espionage.

Feedback Score
    There's more than one hole in that bucket. But the other holes don't bother us.
    If my actions include deeds of philanthropy in charity and acts of loving kindness I am living in my Faith.

Red Pocket (AT&T) UTT 5GB exp 09.27.20
    Good2Go (AT&T) UTT recurring {12*26} $13.50otd/mo
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.11.21
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1-use/3mo no exp by 04.11.20

Feedback Score
    Huawei is already being used for LTE and 4G connectivity in the US, as mentioned in this article https://www.theverge.com/2019/6/5/18...et-rip-replace and this one https://www.fiercewireless.com/wirel...riers-rwa-says and this one https://www.fiercewireless.com/tech/...awei-equipment and this one https://thehill.com/blogs/congress-b...nd-the-federal so frankly if the Chinese government wanted to spy they’ve probably already done so.

The fact that other countries are outright ignoring the US’s “dire warnings” and opting to go with Huawei kinda lends credence at this is a bunch of political malarkey.
    https://www.theverge.com/2020/1/28/2...ional-security
    Last edited by DebiLee; 02-07-2020 at 05:45 PM.

Feedback Score
    I don't understand why Americans are so worried about Huawei, especially in the RAN. Huawei is far superior to Ericsson, Nokia and Samsung.
    Last edited by sheytoon; 02-07-2020 at 09:27 PM.
    Want to learn more about how LTE works?
    https://productioncommunity.publicmo...ls/td-p/130581

BTA-44: MTA-29: MSA-41: PEA-40: CMA-41: BEA-78: MEA-24
    Device(s)
    Galaxy S10+ (unlocked), Galaxy S8, LG K7, iPhone 6S, iPhone 6, iPhone 4S, iPhone 4, iPhone 3G
    Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    If they want to ban Chinese equipment from being used in the US. Then the US shouldn't use their labor to build its products. Talk about Kettle calling the Pot black.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using HoFo mobile app
    AT&T Unlimited & More w/ 2 Lines
    AT&T TV w/ HBO

(\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LTENetwork View Post
    As an American and user of AT&T on my Apple ipad with qualcomm chipset, I am very concerned about any Chinese equipment being used by AT&T. I am also a shareholder. I know the federal government has banned the use of chinese chipsets, but as 5G emerges, I want AT&T to be audited to make sure they are completely free of any Chinese equipment in the network even though they have stated they are not using Chinese equipment and I have no reason to doubt them but I do believe the US should set up independent auditors to make sure.

I know when you travel on roaming partners outside the USA, some allies of the USA do have Chinese equipment in their networks and it is quite bothersome to me as I don’t want any data going over chinese equipment. Hopefully those networks can be identified and perhaps other devices can be used for temporary access on those networks so no data will be exposed when usage is necessary.

I believe we need to get smart about this.
    Oh please. All this BS about Huawei is just because American companies not being able to compete with Hauwei's tech and pricing. If your worried about being spied on, why don't you look at American businesses and our government.

Device(s)
    LG V40 ThinQ
    Carrier(s)
    At&t
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gedster314 View Post
    Oh please. All this BS about Huawei is just because American companies not being able to compete with Hauwei's tech and pricing. If your worried about being spied on, why don't you look at American businesses and our government.
    Amen.

Also ZTE made on of the cheapest phones and one of the best phones I've ever used. The only phone to ever allow manual band selection. This was just as T-MOBILE was deploying Band 12 in the area.

Huawei is a drop in the bucket.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Galaxy S10
    Carrier(s)
    LTE-A
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by keeponkeepnon View Post
    Amen.

Also ZTE made on of the cheapest phones and one of the best phones I've ever used. The only phone to ever allow manual band selection. This was just as T-MOBILE was deploying Band 12 in the area.

Huawei is a drop in the bucket.

Galaxys have allowed manual band selection for years.

Feedback Score

I’ve always found the Huawei arguments to be comical. Most of my electronics are made in China, so why should I care if something is made in China, by a Chinese company. What’s the difference?

The argument is that the Government is afraid of backdoors leading to China, but what about Lenovo? They’re a large Chinese electronics firm, yet I see their equipment everywhere, and no one seems to have any qualms.

If they were really worried about China interfering with our communications, every Chinese electronics would be banned from the US, and not just Huawei.

Device(s)
    LG V40 ThinQ
    Carrier(s)
    At&t
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 10mm View Post
    Galaxys have allowed manual band selection for years.
    Rooted or unrooted ?

Device(s)
    Galaxy S10
    Carrier(s)
    LTE-A
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by keeponkeepnon View Post
    Rooted or unrooted ?

Unrooted. With an AT&T SIM you can access the menu if you slightly pop the SIM and reboot. *#2263#

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast