Thread: Home phone service-ready to pull my hair out

Device(s)
    LG G4, Droid Maxx
    Carrier(s)
    Boom! Mobile
    Feedback Score

Home phone service-ready to pull my hair out

Here's the deal: We have the older Huawei H258C CDMA home phone device. I bought the newer ZTE Z723EL device because the older Huawei won't work much longer. I activated the ZTE device on a different line with a new number so that I could make sure it would work before switching it to my original line because they told me I wouldn't be able to reactivate the old Huawei device if it didn't. We've had the number on the original line for 25+ years and don't want to lose it.

The problem I am having is trying to find out if I will need a new sim card and what type for the ZTE device since I already activated the one that came with it on a new line. I did a chat on Straight Talk with customer service and they said it couldn't be done because they don't have a BYOD plan for home service. I couldn't get the person to understand that is was their own device, and that I wanted to switch it to the other line.

So, can anyone help? It looks like I should just be able to buy a new sim card and then activate it on my old line and let the new number die. I paid full price for the ZTE unit and surely there must be some way to use it after the original sim card has been activated.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    You can just let the new line expire, and just transfer your phone to that box. With Verizon based SIMs, you can reuse the SIM cards. You could do that with the online interface too.

Feedback Score
    Port the number out to a throw away carrier if you don't want to wait for it to expire. Porting out will cancel the line.

Feedback Score
    Yeah, if you have a Huawei home phone device operating, and it dies, you can't even activate the same device anymore.

I had two of the Huawei devices (one as a spare), one died, Tried to port the # out to the replacement device, It sit in "Activation in Progress" for three days before they told me I could not use it..... I complained enough that they send me a ZTE as a replacement.

I hate for those who buy the old Huawei units off Ebay (even though they may be new). they're useless, except for a spare a/c adapter or battery

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by greg4android View Post
    I hate for those who buy the old Huawei units off Ebay (even though they may be new). they're useless, except for a spare a/c adapter or battery
    Yes, a lot of phone things on eBay are sucker deals unless you know what has gone on. It's pretty complicated with Verizon based phone devices between 2G, 3G, 4G, and VoLTE. The eBay sellers may simply be ignorant, or just not give a darn.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I had the old Huawei and also switched to the ZTE Z723EL. Just call ST customer service and tell them you need to port your number from the Huawei device to the ZTE. The SIM card is already inside the ZTE unit and ST will ask for the ZTE IMEI and SIM numbers. I did two units that way and the transfer of the numbers from the Huawei box to the ZTE box was seamless. Numbers moved from the old unit to the new one in less that 5 minutes.
    Last edited by MarkNC; 02-18-2020 at 09:37 PM. Reason: Grammar