Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Total Wireless Legalizes Hotspot Use (10GB per line)

Device(s)
    Samsung S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless
    Feedback Score

Total Wireless Legalizes Hotspot Use (10GB per line)

Total Wireless Legalizes Hotspot Use (10GB per line)

While hotspot use has always worked on Total Wireless despite being forbidden in the terms and conditions (at least on Android phones), they have now legalized it and it also works on iPhones.

You can use 10GB, per line, of your data for hotspot use.

I moved from T-Mobile to Total Wireless (Verizon MVNO) because of the poor coverage on T-Mobile, but the lack of legal hotspot was a concern (and hotspot didn't work in the iPhone at all).

Their terms and conditions now reads:
    "On plans $35 and up. $35 Plan uses existing capped data allotment for hotspot. Plans $50 and up allocated up to 10GB of non-sharable capped data per line for hotspot usage, which is counted against their existing high speed data allotment. Data Add-On cards are incompatible with hotspot data usage. Hotspot is only available on compatible 4G LTE devices."

--------

I wish that Howard Forums would create a sub-forum under "US Prepaid/MVNO Discussion" for Total Wireless. Other MVNOs with far fewer subscribers have their own sub-forums.

Feedback Score
    ON WHAT PHONES????????????

I have a Galaxy S5, S7, and a Luna Pro. None of these Total Wireless Branded phones have HOTSPOT any where in the setting/network options.

Total Wireless states "on a compatible" phone. SO, exactly WHAT phones are compatible?

Texting HOTSPOT to 611611 is supposed to give compatibility, but just says check network settings.

I chatted with Total Wireless and asked if there would be some update to the phone to enable/make the hotspot function appear.....No real answer.

Typically, any TRACFONE branded phone has the hotspot function disabled/not visible.

So, yeah. hotspot function is confirmed official, but how the heck do you use it (If its disabled in a branded phone).

Feedback Score
    I have a Total Wireless branded Moto G7 Power, and I've been able to use hotspot on it since I got it last year.

Feedback Score
    Hotspot function isn't in any of the setup menus. No where.

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Lots of the older branded phones does not have the options. Lots of the newer branded phones does have the hotspot options.

It is like my older J3 Sky did not have the options. While my J7 Sky Pro S727VL, J7 Crown S767VL, A10e S102DL, and G7 Optimo Maxx has hotspot options, but I am not sure if they work because my plan does not have hotspot data.

Feedback Score
    Would the hotspotting be limited to Total Wireless branded phones? I have a VZ branded S5. Unlikely to do hotspotting if I went to TW?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Greensand View Post
    Would the hotspotting be limited to Total Wireless branded phones? I have a VZ branded S5. Unlikely to do hotspotting if I went to TW?
    see this thread - https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...35-plan-and-up

Device(s)
    Iphone XR
    Carrier(s)
    Tmobile
    Feedback Score
    Imagine being able to use the data you paid for. /s

Feedback Score
    Like I said, typically any TRACFONE branded phone has hotspot disabled/hidden. TRACFONE probably specifically requested from manufacturers like SAMSUNG to hide the feature. Hotspot has never been advertised until now.

So, unless, SAMSUNG, for example, pushed out an update making it available, I don't see any way hotspot can happen.

TRACFONE stated they don't push software updates.....

So, name me a TOTAL WIRELESS branded phone that has hotspot capability. Four of the TW phones I have don't.

Feedback Score
    >ON WHAT PHONES????????????
    >I have a Galaxy S5, S7, and a Luna Pro. None of these Total Wireless Branded phones have HOTSPOT any where in the setting/network options.

advcomp2019 already answered you. Current TW phones, yes, for older ones, most likely no.

Per TW support chat, all current phones being sold by TW in its shop can have hotspot,

https://shop.totalwireless.com/shop/...s/f/os_android

It shouldn't be surprising that older TW phones don't have hotspot. There's never a guarantee of forward compatibility.

Feedback Score
    That's NOT so. Three of the phones I have are in the CURRENT listing for sale . . . . Where's the HOTSPOT function then?

Quote Originally Posted by e.mote View Post
    >ON WHAT PHONES????????????
    >I have a Galaxy S5, S7, and a Luna Pro. None of these Total Wireless Branded phones have HOTSPOT any where in the setting/network options.

advcomp2019 already answered you. Current TW phones, yes, for older ones, most likely no.

Per TW support chat, all current phones being sold by TW in its shop can have hotspot,

https://shop.totalwireless.com/shop/...s/f/os_android

It shouldn't be surprising that older TW phones don't have hotspot. There's never a guarantee of forward compatibility.

Feedback Score
    >That's NOT so. Three of the phones I have are in the CURRENT listing for sale . . . . Where's the HOTSPOT function then?

No need to get shrill. You will get zero results that way.

It's simple. If you've bought the phones from TW within the past 30 days, time to give CS a call and get replacements. If it's past the return period (which is your case, no?), then it's up to your social skills to convince TW CS to replace. From what you've shown thus far, I wouldn't get my hopes up.

Sure, TW support is probably talking out of its behind when it says all of the phones are capable, but it's a good generalization. It should be common sense to stay away from used and refurb models. For recent purchases, ie after TW hotspot announcement, you're covered regardless of what CS says.

Device(s)
    Samsung S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    >That's NOT so. Three of the phones I have are in the CURRENT listing for sale . . . . Where's the HOTSPOT function then?

No need to get shrill. You will get zero results that way.

It's simple. If you've bought the phones from TW within the past 30 days, time to give CS a call and get replacements. If it's past the return period (which is your case, no?), then it's up to your social skills to convince TW CS to replace. From what you've shown thus far, I wouldn't get my hopes up.

Sure, TW support is probably talking out of its behind when it says all of the phones are capable, but it's a good generalization. It should be common sense to stay away from used and refurb models. For recent purchases, ie after TW hotspot announcement, you're covered regardless of what CS says.
    My coworker has been on Total Wireless for more than a year, using Hotspot with his Samusng Galaxy Note 9 that he bought directly from Total Wireless. Now it's "legal."

It varies by phone. An iPhone on our account had Hotspot disabled but it's now turned on so TW did something to allow it. My Samsung S9 purchased from TW has always had hotspot capability. I would never have thought to read the Terms of Service to know that it was not permitted when I got it.

Feedback Score
    >It varies by phone.

Yeah, the world of Android phones is messy. I doubt if TW or anyone can come up with a definitive list of working hotspot phones.

But with TW hotspot now being official, TW is obligated to provide phones w/ said feature. Safe to assume that all current TW-branded phones will have hotspot (aside from refurb/used ones older than 2019), because TW will have to give refund on those that don't.

iPhones are always safe, as long as they aren't "too old," as they have the best carrier support. It's the Android ones that the caveats apply.

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon, Red Pocket, Tracfone)
    Feedback Score
    But with TW hotspot now being official, TW is obligated to provide phones w/ said feature.
    Not really. If your device supports it they allow it but nothing says the devices they sell have to support it.

That was the case with VVM and VoLTE for a while. Lots of devices they sold didn't support those features. But many phones that did support them worked. And even now not all phones that support them do so on TW.

When big carriers, sold devices that didn't support all the new features for a time. Eventually those premium features trickled down to all new devices but it took time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast