Thread: PagePlus still activates 3G devices

Carrier(s)
    PagePlus (this month anyway)
    Feedback Score

PagePlus still activates 3G devices

OK, maybe I'm confused, but didn't I read here on HoFo that Verizon and its MVNOs will no longer activate 3G devices? In the FAQs on the PagaPlus website I read:

I want to use a 3G device. Can I still use Page Plus?

Yes. With the exception of our Pay As You Go standard plans, which are 3G only, all of our monthly plans are “mirrored” for 3G and 4G. When you activate a device, our system will determine if your device is 3G or 4G, and activate it onto the appropriate service.

The reason I noticed it is because I want to transfer a PP number to an old LG flip phone. It doesn't really matter what phone because calls to that number are set to forward to my cell phone anyway. I was thinking I wouldn't be able to do that until I read the above FAQ.
    My smartphone is a lot smarter than I am.

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); LG Fiesta 2 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Well, just by what you relate is quoted from the website about PAYGO plans being 3G only, we see that that is an obsolete piece of copy posted on their site, in need of updating. PAYGO plans are certainly NOT 3G only at this time.

Anecdotal posts here on HoFo for quite some time indicate that VZW MVNOs have ceased allowing new activations of 3G-only devices to be introduced to the network, and I think this would even include if an existing 3G device's service was briefly interrupted; no getting back on (someone correct that if it's wrong).

Feedback Score
    No, Relztrah, that's wrong.

Chat Transcript:

Thank you for visiting Page Plus today. How may I help you?
    Hector: Hi. Thank you for visiting Page Plus Cellular.
    Hector: How may I assist you?
    You: https://www.pagepluscellular.com/4g-lte/undefined indicates:
    "Q. I want to use a 3G device. Can I still use Page Plus? A. Yes. With the exception of our Pay As You Go standard plans, which are 3G only, all of our monthly plans are “mirrored” for 3G and 4G. When you activate a device, our system will determine if your device is 3G or 4G, and activate it onto the appropriate service.
    "Is that correct?
    Hector: I understand your concern.
    Hector: While I help you with that, would you like to participate in a brief survey regarding my service at the end of the chat?
    You: No thanks.
    Hector: You are welcome. I am sorry, but since 04/08/19 we are unable to activate cellphones other than 4G VoLTE.
    You: Then WHY IS THAT ON YOUR WEBSITE!?
    Hector: Unfortunately, that information is not correct anymore. I will escalate issue in order to removed it for the website.
    Hector: Sorry for the inconvenience.
    Hector: Is there anything else that I can assist you with?
    You: Okay. That's all. Thanks. Bye.

Feedback Score
    Boz1, excellent; do the chat. In fact, there still is some other incorrect information at the Page Plus Cellular website.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    Hector: You are welcome. I am sorry, but since 04/08/19 we are unable to activate cellphones other than 4G VoLTE.
    You: Then WHY IS THAT ON YOUR WEBSITE!?
    Hector: Unfortunately, that information is not correct anymore. I will escalate issue in order to removed it for the website.
    First time I have seen a Rep state a date for the end of obsolete phones activations. Also good that they mentioned that devices now have to be VoLTE capable. There were many phones that were 4G LTE, but not VoLTE.

Yes, Page Plus has always lagged behind with the website information.

Carrier(s)
    PagePlus (this month anyway)
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the clarification.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Relztrah View Post
    Thanks for the clarification.
    You're welcome. It seems that TF tried to keep a lot of the legacy PPC website info, and has tried to keep it updated over the years, but as you found out, it hasn't been a complete success!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    It seems that TF tried to keep a lot of the legacy PPC website info, and has tried to keep it updated over the years, but as you found out, it hasn't been a complete success!
    Yeah, the PPC website is like a time capsule. Always was an oddball in the Tracfone companies. Took me a while to figure out the PayGo system, as it's so different than the Tracfone system. Those I know on PPC uses the monthly plans.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    Yeah, the PPC website is like a time capsule. Always was an oddball in the Tracfone companies. Took me a while to figure out the PayGo system, as it's so different than the Tracfone system. Those I know on PPC uses the monthly plans.
    But for low volume users, or as a backup plan on the Vzw network, the PPC paygo (fka Standard Plan) is a great deal at $30/360 days, paid $10/120days.

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); LG Fiesta 2 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Regarding loboheeler's comment, when I got my first cell phone on T-Mobile (prepaid PAYGO), I got used to its setup and started to take note of how all the other companies' PAYGO structures looked. At that time (2005 or so) TracFone is the one that stuck out as different, with its varied refill cards that represented many different per minute rates, and the fact that refill PINs stacked - you didn't have to wait until near the end of your current service interval to apply it. I don't think anyone else offered that.

But back then everyone wanted to gun for the lowest per minute rate, which was what PPC offered IF you opted for the big year-long $80 refill PIN. $0.04 per minute!

I can't remember TF's rates from that period, but consider that because they were higher, they introduced Net10 to compete with what was lower, which made every PIN a flat $0.10 per minute regardless of amount.

But things certainly changed, didn't they?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by whacker View Post
    TracFone is the one that stuck out as different, with its varied refill cards that represented many different per minute rates, and the fact that refill PINs stacked - you didn't have to wait until near the end of your current service interval to apply it.
    Tracfone has been my only cell service since 2001, but am aware of the other offerings in PayGo and monthly plans. PPC Standard plans are pretty cheap, except for data allotments. You have to be very careful with smartphones, which are largely data machines. It is minimum service.

Tracfone was never simple, although it seemed to be in the old days of basic/feature phones. The charges for each thing sometimes depended on the phone model, and you could not easily see what that was. With smartphones it became easier to understand with the talk/text/data bucket system, and a balance app. You can now buy any part of service you want to customize for your use. Talk, text, data, service time. That's why I stay.