Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Looks like TMobile is getting their merger

Device(s)
    LG G7 (T-Mobile), iPhone 8 (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    I, for one, am glad that it's about to be over, whatever the outcome.
    I agree. Long process, but its finally over.
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jet1000 View Post
    I wonder how fast they'll pull the plug on Sprints B26 since that spectrum is going to Dish. I would assume Sprint customers still use that low band for some building penetration and rural coverage. If they shut it down on the merger closing date that could really affect some Sprint users. Maybe Dish granted a period to transfer over. It's not like Dish will be lighting that up immediately anyway.
    I don't think Dish is going to get the Sprint LTE bands. The plan as I remember it is to run Boost on the T-Mobile network for an interim time until Dish can build out their own 5G network. Sprint has stated only about half of their customers with branded phones can run on T-Mobile. The situation may be even worst with boost customers.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    I don't think Dish is going to get the Sprint LTE bands.
    Specifically, T-Mobile and Sprint agreed to divest the 800 spectrum which Sprint runs LTE Band 26 on. In looking up a link to the article stating this, I actually answered my question above.

It looks like there's a 2 year lease back provision where T-Mobile will be able to lease that spectrum from Dish while they're moving people off of the spectrum:

Dish gets Sprint’s 800 MHz spectrum licenses

Low-band spectrum is needed to provide coverage outdoors and reliable service inside buildings since the signals travel far and penetrate buildings well. Sprint has a nationwide 800 MHz license with 14 MHz of bandwidth. Fourteen MHz is sufficient spectrum to provide voice communications in people’s homes and businesses, but not enough for high-speed data. Even using carrier aggregation with higher bands and therefore more bandwidth will be challenging due to the inferior propagation characteristics of the higher band spectrum. The two-year lease-back is there to continue to allow Sprint to maintain its current coverage without impacting Dish’s actual deployment plans.

https://www.fiercewireless.com/wirel...rint-dish-deal

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jet1000 View Post
    Specifically, T-Mobile and Sprint agreed to divest the 800 spectrum which Sprint runs LTE Band 26 on. In looking up a link to the article stating this, I actually answered my question above.

It looks like there's a 2 year lease back provision where T-Mobile will be able to lease that spectrum from Dish while they're moving people off of the spectrum:

Dish gets Sprint’s 800 MHz spectrum licenses

Low-band spectrum is needed to provide coverage outdoors and reliable service inside buildings since the signals travel far and penetrate buildings well. Sprint has a nationwide 800 MHz license with 14 MHz of bandwidth. Fourteen MHz is sufficient spectrum to provide voice communications in people’s homes and businesses, but not enough for high-speed data. Even using carrier aggregation with higher bands and therefore more bandwidth will be challenging due to the inferior propagation characteristics of the higher band spectrum. The two-year lease-back is there to continue to allow Sprint to maintain its current coverage without impacting Dish’s actual deployment plans.

https://www.fiercewireless.com/wirel...rint-dish-deal
    Yea, they'd have to have some sort of agreement with TMobile to allow Sprint to continue to use it for the changeover period. In a lot of sprints rural and even some suburban areas it's PCS and 800 only, pulling the plug asap on 800 would be rough on them. I'm sure TMobile will be very generous with current Sprint users that don't have compatible handsets, as they were with metro users, to speed up the process of getting everyone off sprint, but, as with metro, you will have groups of people who will wait last minute to do anything.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 11 Pro Max / Apple iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    Pacific Bell Wireless / Verizon Wireless / AT&T MX / Movistar MX / Telcel MX
    Feedback Score
    Since this is now official and to keep the forum clean
    Please continue the topic here
    https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...ile-and-Sprint

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4