Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast

Thread: Judge approves $26 billion merger of T-Mobile and Sprint

Feedback Score
    I love how "muh MVNO rates will go up" crowd entirely ignoring that dish is entering the wireless game and could easily disrupt that same pricing. But wait, that does not fit the agenda, so lets pull facts our of our behinds and continue claiming MVNO prices will go up with zero evidence to indicate such.

Feedback Score

Judge approves $26 billion merger of T-Mobile and Sprint

Quote Originally Posted by L33 View Post
    I love how "muh MVNO rates will go up" crowd entirely ignoring that dish is entering the wireless game and could easily disrupt that same pricing. But wait, that does not fit the agenda, so lets pull facts our of our behinds and continue claiming MVNO prices will go up with zero evidence to indicate such.
    Dish will be a mvno. It will be years before dish has their own network to compete on, if dish even ever builds that network. I have zero clue if mvno pricing goes up, but, the people who claim it won’t be affected, also have zero evidence to back up this claim....

I am interested in what dish does as an mvno right away, especially if they got a parity agreement a la google fi and has full access to T-Mobile and all their native roaming partners. With boosts current pricing this makes one of those plans highly attractive on boost. I suspect boost will undergo a complete plan overhaul once dish does take over, but, if they grandfather in current users at that current rate plan pricing and features, those plans are highly attractive under those circumstances.
    Last edited by hofonewb9; 02-12-2020 at 06:09 AM.

Device(s)
    Any Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hofonewb9 View Post
    Dish will be a mvno. It will be years before dish has their own network to compete on, if dish even ever builds that network. I have zero clue if mvno pricing goes up, but, the people who claim it won’t be affected, also have zero evidence to back up this claim....

I am interested in what dish does as an mvno right away, especially if they got a parity agreement a la google fi and has full access to T-Mobile and all their native roaming partners. With boosts current pricing this makes one of those plans highly attractive on boost. I suspect boost will undergo a complete plan overhaul once dish does take over, but, if they grandfather in current users at that current rate plan pricing and features, those plans are highly attractive under those circumstances.
    Considering the penalty DISH will be assessed is a tiny fraction of what it will cost to build out a 5G network, DISH might opt to not build at all, eat the penalty, and instead negotiate some kind of trade/lease spectrum for shared use agreement and just continue being an MVNO indefinitely.

Having said that, while I've badmouthed Charlie Ergen and his wireless intentions before, he doesn't like being beholden to anyone, and prefers to control his own destiny. He could've launched DISH sooner and cheaper on leased Ku-band satellite capacity like the now long defunct Primestar service used to used, but he really wanted his own DISH satellites in orbit like DirecTV had, and have completed control of DISH service from ground, to space, back to ground (even using his own OEM'd DISH-brand receivers and software.)

I suspect he'll want his own wireless network the minute he decides this is the right long term business for DISH (he might still be thinking IPTV/Sling is his eventual savior when satellite TV runs its course.) Of course, it's still Charlie Ergen we're talking about, so any actual network DISH builds will be built as cheaply as possible to minimum specifications and have little to no backup capacity!

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    --
    Todd Allcock, Microsoft MVP: Mobile Devices 2007-2011

Feedback Score
    I hope they get rid of the DISH name, as it always connotes a birdbath on the roof with a signal that goes away whenever it rains.

Device(s)
    Pixel XL, OnePlus 2
    Carrier(s)
    Project Fi
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by L33 View Post
    T-Mobile was asked about this and said that they plan to be very MVNO friendly. How friendly that is, we still don't know. But they have no plans to alienate MVNOs or their customers. Some of the people complaining are people who were hoping Sprint would go under so that AT&T and Verizon could benefit from the mess Sprint has been in for years.

Device(s)
    Pixel XL, OnePlus 2
    Carrier(s)
    Project Fi
    Feedback Score

The biggest overhaul in prepaid may be for Cricket. As everyone moves towards 5G, plans that cap your speed at a max of 8 Mbps, or in some cases 3 Mbps, for the same price that everyone else charges for faster speeds isn't going to cut it unless AT&T is the only network that works in your area. With national coverage being similar, there's no reason to pay the same or more each month and get lower speeds.

The other overhaul that may be interesting is Google Fi since they will become just a T-Mobile MVNO. I'm wondering if they will try to renegotiate the deal they have now that the merger will go through. I'm hoping they will keep their international coverage the same as it is now, but wouldn't mind seeing lower rates and more phones being offered by them in the future.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by J Wireless View Post
    The biggest overhaul in prepaid may be for Cricket. As everyone moves towards 5G, plans that cap your speed at a max of 8 Mbps, or in some cases 3 Mbps, for the same price that everyone else charges for faster speeds isn't going to cut it unless AT&T is the only network that works in your area. With national coverage being similar, there's no reason to pay the same or more each month and get lower speeds.

The other overhaul that may be interesting is Google Fi since they will become just a T-Mobile MVNO. I'm wondering if they will try to renegotiate the deal they have now that the merger will go through. I'm hoping they will keep their international coverage the same as it is now, but wouldn't mind seeing lower rates and more phones being offered by them in the future.
    Unless other carriers adopted a cable style billing system where you pay for speed tiers, instead of data used. Which has been floated around as an idea before.

Fi is interesting, the have a parity agreement with all 3 of their providers right now, you get access to T-Mobile, sprint and u.s. cellular a native networks, and access to their domestic roaming partners as well, as long as you have one of designed for fi devices. Otherwise if you don’t, you only have access to T-Mobile and their roaming partners. This is why data is so expensive on fi, they pay more for it themselves with that agreement. They really aren’t a tradition mvno in that sense. I assume nothing will change at fi, and they will just use T-Mobile and u.s. cellular going forward, until it’s time to re up their agreement and then maybe they shop around, but with their unique needs as a carrier, I’m not sure any other carrier would be willing to give them that type of deal.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by elecconnec View Post
    Considering the penalty DISH will be assessed is a tiny fraction of what it will cost to build out a 5G network, DISH might opt to not build at all, eat the penalty, and instead negotiate some kind of trade/lease spectrum for shared use agreement and just continue being an MVNO indefinitely.

Having said that, while I've badmouthed Charlie Ergen and his wireless intentions before, he doesn't like being beholden to anyone, and prefers to control his own destiny. He could've launched DISH sooner and cheaper on leased Ku-band satellite capacity like the now long defunct Primestar service used to used, but he really wanted his own DISH satellites in orbit like DirecTV had, and have completed control of DISH service from ground, to space, back to ground (even using his own OEM'd DISH-brand receivers and software.)

I suspect he'll want his own wireless network the minute he decides this is the right long term business for DISH (he might still be thinking IPTV/Sling is his eventual savior when satellite TV runs its course.) Of course, it's still Charlie Ergen we're talking about, so any actual network DISH builds will be built as cheaply as possible to minimum specifications and have little to no backup capacity!

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    I remember T-Mobile wanted language included that prevented dish from just selling off their assets for a certain time period, they were worried dish would flip their spectrum to someone like Comcast right away. T-Mobile was fine setting up a competitor, they just didn’t want one that could actually become competitive lol. I’m not sure if they were able to get that included or not though. I agree, the penalty really isn’t a huge deal, heck he could sell off the assets and just pay off the penalty if he wanted to. I have little faith in dish ever actually being more than a mvno as well, but, you raised valid points about Charlie, and he may surprise everyone.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NotABiot View Post
    I hope they get rid of the DISH name, as it always connotes a birdbath on the roof with a signal that goes away whenever it rains.
    They should probably change the boost name as well. Not sure they will though, they may feel it holds some name recognition and value.

Feedback Score

Judge approves $26 billion merger of T-Mobile and Sprint

The person I feel sorriest for though is Jon Freier. That poor guy did an amazing job as head of T-Mobile’s retail division, his reward? To get metros retail division on his plate also. Metros retail division has been a mess since the merger with franchise locations basically charging whatever they want and other shady tactics as well. He has his hands more than full already, now he gets to clean up the sprint stores they are incorporating. Talk about having a full plate.

Feedback Score
    The person I feel sorriest for though is Jon Freier. That poor guy did an amazing job as head of T-Mobile’s retail division, his reward? To get metros retail division on his plate also. Metros retail division has been a mess since the merger with franchise locations basically charging whatever they want and other shady tactics as well. He has his hands more than full already, now he gets to clean up the sprint stores they are incorporating. Talk about having a full plate.
    I just hope they get rid of that "can you hear me now?" guy in the ads. The most dishonest man speaking on television today, with the possible exception of politicians.

Device(s)
    Iphone XR
    Carrier(s)
    Tmobile
    Feedback Score
    Ergen was the biggest winner. He held onto his spectrum. Banks, backed ironically by Softbank, are loaning him money to buy Boost and the sliver of Sprint spectrum which he's going to lease to Tmobile anyway. Maybe Softbank backs him in a network build out with loans backed by his new Tmobile stock. If this didn't happen Ergen loses his spectrum at auction.

Softbank won because they got out of the nightmare that was Sprint, they had no way of fixing it so offloading some $40-$60 billion in debt to Tmobile and getting a valuable asset in Tmobile shares is a win win.

Tmobile won because despite all that new debt, it is easily covered by synergies created and this gives them the horsepower to not just compete with AT&T and Verizon but to outclass them completely. Tmobile will have the lowest costs going forward by far. They can drop prices AND make more money.

Verizon may be a big loser if they can't build out some semblance of mmwave coverage within the 2-3 years its going to take Tmobile to integrate all that spectrum into a single network (those favorably comparing integrating Metro's tiny network with integrating Sprint's network are in la la land). If they can make good on their vision of mmwave with dense fiber in metro areas (people seem to think that is the only reason they are running 60 million miles of fiber in 60 metro areas - it's not) they can make a horse race of it in those areas, likely be the winning horse technically. Forget it outside of metro areas - those belong to Tmobile.

I still believe the massive burden of debt AT&T is saddled with moving forward and the incredible losses they are seeing in their video distribution business has made them a loser for 10 years to come.

Without question this is the single most important event in wireless history outside of the birth of wireless.

Feedback Score
    How much is the penalty if Dish doesn't build out?
    If my actions include deeds of philanthropy in charity and acts of loving kindness I am living in my Faith.

Red Pocket (AT&T) UTT 5GB exp 09.27.20
    Good2Go (AT&T) UTT recurring {12*26} $13.38 otd/mo
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.11.21
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1-use/3mo no exp by 07.08.20

Feedback Score
    I just hope they get rid of that "can you hear me now?" guy in the ads. The most dishonest man speaking on television today, with the possible exception of politicians.
    It's hard to call an actor dishonest for playing a role and reading a script. Can call sprints marketing team misleading, sure, but the actor really has nothing to do with that. That's like claiming mark Hamill is dishonest because he really doesn't use a laser sword and move things with his mind. The guy is just an actor, being paid to play a role on TV commercials.

Maybe new TMobile will hire old alltel's Chad to be their new spokesman lol though Chad looked like the type of guy who likely wouldn't age very well, so not sure what Chad looks like these days.
    Last edited by hofonewb9; 02-12-2020 at 03:23 PM.

Feedback Score
    At which point they mandate connecting all handset to the network by wires, which will lead to the next name change after that.
    Don't forget pulse dialing, long distance operators, home areas, and party lines too! I remember the bleed-over cross talk on the Analog networks with my first cell phone. Analog was neat though, as you could call anywhere through any carrier. I used it for a year while traveling around, and boy did it cost!

Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast